• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe's Stone Hut Burns

deadheadskier

Staff member
Damn.

I had the good fortune of staying in the Stone Hut in the 90s. Great experience. I'm sure they'll rebuild. The scary thing is how close it is to the top terminal of the quad and the Octagon. Good thing the fire didn't spread.

mbedle

DHS, never thought of that, but yes, good thing it didn't. That would be really bad. Put in for the stone hut this year, didn't get it. Guess it doesn't matter right now. Hopefully they will rebuilt it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They used the snowmaking to help put it out. They were going to shuttle water up. The building was locked....I imagine that folks had just left for the night.

Brad J

Damn.

I had the good fortune of staying in the Stone Hut in the 90s. Great experience. I'm sure they'll rebuild. The scary thing is how close it is to the top terminal of the quad and the Octagon. Good thing the fire didn't spread.

I also stayed there a few times, Great memories hope they rebuild, will check an plans and progress if it turns out to be a volunteer project. I know the state owns it ?? and controls it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Personally I have little doubt that it will be rebuilt. It has historic significance and was pretty popular. And at the risk of sounding blunt the State was probably making money off of it.

BenedictGomez

I've always wanted to stay there, but I've never put in for the lottery as my gf is adamantly against it, lol. I feel terrible or the lottery "winners" this season, as it's no small feat, yet now they'll cancelled on.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not under the impression that the odds are that difficult. Some of the guys I went with back in the day still go every year. Basically a group of 5-6 guys put in every year and at least one will win, sometimes more than one.

BenedictGomez

I'm not under the impression that the odds are that difficult. Some of the guys I went with back in the day still go every year. Basically a group of 5-6 guys put in every year and at least one will win, sometimes more than one.

It's supposedly very difficult unless you book a long'ish stay. If you choose a long stay, then yes, you'll probably nail it every year, so I bet those guys put in for 4 or more nights. The way they do the bookings is the people who pick the longest trips win first, then they pick smaller length stays, and so on, until you get down to three-nights stays, then two-night stays, then one-night stays, etc.. So if you put in for a relatively long stay, your odds of being picked increase.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, these guys only book for 2-3 nights, but always put in many alternates. They all live in town, so it's easier to go whenever instead of truly trying to schedule it. Between the group of 5-6 of them, they still get it every year.

Might be difficult for an individual to secure the hut, but for a group that has flexible dates, it's really not. I have other friends different from this group that go most years as well.

mbedle

IMG_1619.JPGIMG_1620.JPG

Guy over on SkiVT took these, posted that that fire inspector will be there today. Just to put it in perspective, approximately 300 people put in for the lottery each year. Only about 15 percent are chosen for a reservation. The first people picked is the group that 5 day reservation, which consumes most of the reservations for the season.

BenedictGomez

Idiots. They should punish him/her to the full extent possible, but given this is Vermont, I have little hope of that.