• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain 12-11-2011

WoodCore

Date(s) Skied: Sunday December 11, 2011

Ski Area:Stratton Mountain, VT

Conditions: Machine Groomed Packed Powder

Trip Report:

Had a great day of skiing yesterday. Despite the difficult weather of late the snow making team at Stratton has been out in full force and really put on an amazing show!! In only a few days since the last warm weather spell they managed to basically quadruple the skiable terrain and provided some super fine conditions.

There were 4 routes open off the summit to mid mountain (Black, Polar and Grizzly Bear's and North American) and Suntanner to get back down to the base. Enough variety to keep us busy from 8:30am straight thru until around 1pm. We managed to log around 20,000 feet of vertical and only found the trails super busy for a few minutes around 11am.

Grizzly opened around 9:30 and provided for some super soft and fresh turns in the newly churned out man-made and quickly got skied up into some rather large bumps! Same with Polar!

Either way after exiting the hill we headed up to Grizzly's pub for a few $4.00 frosty Newcastle's and some grub to relish the great day on the hill all while observing the continued snowmaking assault, some football and absorbing the abundant sunshine beating down on our window side table. A fine Sunday all around!

Here's some pictures, Enjoy!!

P10208051.JPG

P10208111.JPG

P1020817.JPG

P10208251.JPG

P1020830.JPG

P1020831.JPG

P1020839.JPG

P1020845.JPG

P1020856.JPG

P1020884.JPG

P1020890.JPG

MTN-FUN

Brian - the bumps were BUMPS on Grizzly in only a matter of hours! They left Grizzly ungroomed, blew a ton of snow, and then let everyone at it. Which, as you can imagine, made for some pretty big bumps thanks to the waterfall's steepness that always freaks everyone out. As soon as I saw them, I said to WoodCore, "this looks like the original Grizzly!!!" I remember as a kid seeing and attempting to ski the massive bumps of Grizzly. Either way, it was a great day - wish you could have joined us!!

WoodCore

That looks good! Lots of people there?

There were a fair amount of people but the four open runs off the summit spread everyone out well. Skied right onto the URSA chair all day, no line. Not to shabby considering my ticket was a paltry $19.00 w/ my X2 card.