• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton Mountain - February 27, 2011

WoodCore

Date(s) Skied: Sunday February 27, 2011

Ski Area:Stratton Mountain, VT

Conditions: Powder Day

Trip Report:

After a big dump of 12+ inches of snow on Friday and a refill of 8+ inches of super light blower this morning provided for a most amazing ski day!! With the exception of a few poached runs down two unofficial trails the day was spent deep in the woods of Stratton, and the turns where so, so so, so sweet!

We hit it from the opening bell at 8:30 and finished around 3:45 with a cold beer in the parking lot. Managed around 23,000 feet of vertical, numerous bark marks on my clothing, two many face shots to count and memories of one fine ski day that will stick around for awhile.

Although I have heard of this place referred to as "Flatton" I beg to disagree! The terrain I skied today rivals that of the central/northern VT areas and IMHO ranks up there with some of the best tree skiing areas in the east.

Here's some pictures, Enjoy!!

P1020175.JPG

P1020178.JPG

P1020181.JPG

P1020183.JPG

P10201841.JPG

P1020193.JPG

P1020196.JPG

P1020202.JPG

P1020203.JPG

P1020206.JPG

P10202071.JPG

P1020209.JPG

P1020210.JPG

P1020212.JPG

P1020216.JPG

P1020220.JPG

P1020223.JPG

And some video.......

Last edited:

emmaurice2

I'm happy to see a positive report for Stratton. While I may have some issues with the mountain, finding ways to have a good time has never been one of them. Nice video, too.

reefer

Nice! Should have stayed up there, Had that Stratton CSC day and I didn't pull the trigger. Perfect day to hit Stratton.

bvibert

Staff member
Nice pics and video! I've heard Stratton has good trees, that would appear to be so based on this thread alone.

I really like this pic:
P1020223.JPG

oakapple

I really don't see where the insulting "Flatton" comes from.

I was planning to be there yesterday, but due to a logistics snafu was unable to make it. I'm sorry to have missed these conditions.

keyser soze

Date(s) Skied: Sunday February 27, 2011

Although I have heard of this place referred to as "Flatton" I beg to disagree! The terrain I skied today rivals that of the central/northern VT areas and IMHO ranks up there with some of the best tree skiing areas in the east.

Nice pics. Looks like a great day. Look at your 2nd picture and you will see why they call it Flatton. I had never been until a few weeks ago and saw immediately why it is nicknamed. They had gotten a few inches overnight so I had a good day. They do have some nice woods and glades, but if you don't get fresh powder it would get boring quick. I think almost any place that you go after a foot plus of powder would be an awesome day.

4aprice

I really don't see where the insulting "Flatton" comes from.

I've never understood it either unless it is a reference to their grooming practices. Last time I was there was the 1st weekend of last March and there were bumps all over the place and great trees. Mountain v mountain I prefer Stratton over Okemo.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
Upper Spruce, Shred Wood Forrest, Grizzly Bear.......all those runs seemed to have good pitch to me when I was there. You'll never confuse Stratton with MRG, but the place is far from flat. They do have some nice old style twisty runs. It's not all just wide open boulevards.

I had an awesome time skiing there earlier this season. I look forward to a return visit.

WoodCore

Sad to report that all those wonderful tree runs have been made pretty much unskiable/impassible by the ice storm that came through recently. Major damage thats going to take some time to heal. :cry::cry: