• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sucked in by 20% Off

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Gah. Who else got sucked into evogear.com by their 20% off email? Gah. I am supposed to be saving up money for my kayak purchase next year. Gah. My ski gear equipment purchase this season was supposed to be limited to new AT boots. Gah.

During dinner, when I mentioned the fact that I was obsessing about gear, S rolled her eyes. But I defended my gear whoring (to myself and to her) by claiming it was for safety sake!!! I have been in the helmet market for just over a year and suffering through a helmet that is packing out and dented after almost a half dozen years of use. I could get by but the safer thing to do would be to buy a new helmet.

And the Atua's I bought last year had rental bindings that had some play. Matter of fact, I only had to tell S that I pre-released a few times during last season before she was telling me to BUY BUY BUY!!! (It was a binding pre-release that had caused my broken elbow accident two years ago - LOL).

Soooo, go safety!! $170 for a helmet, a binding, and wide breaks with free shipping ain't too bad! I WAS GOING TO BUY IT ANY WAYS!!!! Right?

Oh, I think Scarpa Spirit 3s are below $200 on Sierra Trading if any one needs a cheap AT boot. Nice boot. I had bought it last season but returned it due to not fitting sadly. Damn cheap right now, especially with their email coupons.

Its that time of year again, folks! GO GET THOSE DEALS!!!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I got sucked in by backcountryoutlets 50% email coupon. I was on the fence on a set of Krypton Pro's that were 45% off retail at $413. The extra 5% bringing the price down to $375 was enough to push me over the edge. I was going to wait one more season on the Dolomites, but towards the end of the year they were really starting to feel their age. So, can't wait, new boots will be here on the 22nd. :beer:

edited to add, there's nothing I love more than getting a good deal on ski gear. In the past year I've scored two brand new sets of skis with brand new bindings and new boots for under $950

Grassi21

Gah. I am supposed to be saving up money for my kayak purchase next year.

I don't know how you feel about buying used. But I picked up my boat for 50% off. It is a lightly used 16' touring boat that was last year's demo. Besides AZ I frequent a paddling forum. Lots of opinions are that used is a great way to go since many people are constantly upgrading and there are great used boats out there at great prices.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't know how you feel about buying used. But I picked up my boat for 50% off. It is a lightly used 16' touring boat that was last year's demo. Besides AZ I frequent a paddling forum. Lots of opinions are that used is a great way to go since many people are constantly upgrading and there are great used boats out there at great prices.
I would LOVE to buy used. Unfortunately, the boats I am looking at right now rarely come up for sale and hold their value if they ever do come up for sale so just as well buying new. Not exactly shopping around for a Old Town Loon, lol. About halfway through the demo process right now and Eddyline Fathom is my top choice at the moment and I have never seen or heard of one of these boats being sold in the used marketplace. While I am sure it happens, it doesn't happen too often. Granted that boat has not had a long production life... but even with other kayaks, the better models don't turn over too often and often hold their value well (which is great for the seller but bad for the buyer).

Grassi21

I would LOVE to buy used. Unfortunately, the boats I am looking at right now rarely come up for sale and hold their value if they ever do come up for sale so just as well buying new. Not exactly shopping around for a Old Town Loon, lol. About halfway through the demo process right now and Eddyline Fathom is my top choice at the moment and I have never seen or heard of one of these boats being sold in the used marketplace. While I am sure it happens, it doesn't happen too often. Granted that boat has not had a long production life... but even with other kayaks, the better models don't turn over too often and often hold their value well (which is great for the seller but bad for the buyer).

There is the key. It sounds like you are looking for a pretty kick a*& boat. As you know the guys who own those boats have upgraded a few times in their paddle career. Great sport. It definitely keeps me busy during the warm months.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
There is the key. It sounds like you are looking for a pretty kick a*& boat. As you know the guys who own those boats have upgraded a few times in their paddle career. Great sport. It definitely keeps me busy during the warm months.
Funny thing was I started looking at cheap plastic light touring kayaks. Fit was an issue with some. But more than that was performance. One I got into an actual touring sea kayak and shot of like a rocket on a straight line, I knew there was no going back to cheap boats. I tried a boat that I swore was out of my price range just for kicks and to try something else. But I quickly realized that saving up and getting a good first boat is well worth the price.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's not spending, it's saving, right? ;)

I'm usually a sucker for a good sale. But I'm not buying any ski gear. The only things I intend to buy are new ski pants and a jacket, and that will be right before the season starts so I can get as small of a size as possible. :D

Grassi21

Funny thing was I started looking at cheap plastic light touring kayaks. Fit was an issue with some. But more than that was performance. One I got into an actual touring sea kayak and shot of like a rocket on a straight line, I knew there was no going back to cheap boats. I tried a boat that I swore was out of my price range just for kicks and to try something else. But I quickly realized that saving up and getting a good first boat is well worth the price.

Good move looking for the higher performance boat. Many people are looking for a low price point and end up with a 12ish foot recreational boat. Then the new paddler starts to consider performance and they start upgrading. If you are looking for a boat that can cover some ground you are going to want to look into a good paddle as well. Paddles can be uber expensive. But after reading the way you review gear and ski areas I'm sure you are doing our homework.

I went with a roto-molded Perception Avatar 16. For a paddler my size it fits perfectly. It accelerates quickly, is solid while edging, and turns on a dime.

bigbog

prices have been good....

...Most definitely great prices out there...and competition isn't hurting the cause either...
Boats(canoes/kayaks) are like boots...if you really enjoy paddling, no reason to skimp. As Otto once said...it's not just an activity, it's a way of life...