• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - 12-14-08 (Pics)

salsgang

Fast, Firm and Fun day at the loaf with the family.

We clicked in about 9am and got going doing some laps off the Superquad. Tote Road was the run of the day as we skied it many times. Lower Timberline, Scoot, Candyside, a Groomed Double-Bitter were fun. The snow was light and the base was firm but fast. Narrow Gauge was good but the headwall was very firm... A groomed Skidder had great snow. We didn't get on it but heard Kings Landing was very good as well.

East side snow conditions were more variable. Patches of man made sweetness mixed in with some choppy spots | cookies of death... but overall not too bad. I think we got some of the first chairs of the season on King Pine as today it was the first day open...? Anyway, we hit Widowmaker & Springboard to the variable conditions mentioned above. I heard later in the day that we should of hit Ramdown as it was much better.

Considering the Niar of the recent past... conditions were very good. Thanks SLoaf snowmakers and groomers! Crowds - non-existent. Everyone is probably still trying to manage the power outages. Outside of a bit of a wait around the 9:30 to 10:30 time frame... it was ski on the lift city! We got our money's worth in runs today. Temps - cool in the teens / 20's. Breezy at the top. Timberline on wind hold all day.

Taking a day off and heading back Weds with a friend. Hopefully the forecast holds and we are skiing a bit of fluff!

Lighting was tough today so hard to see the snow in these Pics but here they are anyway:

Looking up either Tote Road or Scoot - can't remember
20081214sloaf1.jpg

Icy Ride up the King Pine Chair
20081214sloaf4.jpg

Obligatory Boyz Air Photos on Tote Road
20081214sloaf2.jpg

20081214sloaf3.jpg

Last edited:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Very nice! You've given me great optimism for this coming weekend. That whole set of trails you started out on are just great fun to blast down, I'm glad you had such a fun experience! Mmm ... Loaf.

Skimaine

Sunday was very good at SL considering the weather the previous week. Kings Landing was the trail of the day loaded with tons of man made powder.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
20081214sloaf4.jpg

took me a minute to figure out why this picture was so cool. Then i realized that the lift seemingly disappears off into space. That, coupled with the details like the ice on the chair, makes for a $$ shot.