• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 2/21-24/12

ceo

Date(s) Skied: 2/21-24/12

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: Packed powder, bits of actual powder, ice, rocks, thin cover

Trip Report:
Took Benjamin (7) up to Sugarloaf for part of February vacation. We stayed with my sister-in-law and family in Lewiston on the way up and then stayed in the Skiers' Quarters in the basement of the Sugarloaf Inn, which were about what I expected given the price, but perfectly serviceable. The tiny windows looked out on the underside of the deck, so I never bothered opening the curtains.

We went to Sugarloaf for vacation week every year for most of my childhood, but I hadn't been there in almost 10 years. I think the biggest change other than the Skyline lift and Brackett Basin (which wasn't open) was the new color scheme for the lifts. Most of the mountain was open, except the glades; it was mostly groomed hardpack with some bits of powder and a fair amount of ice. And on Wednesday and Thursday, really cloudy up top. At one point I went up Timberline with the intention of going down Narrow Gauge Extension, and was thinking "this is a lot steeper than I remember Gauge being", when I got to the Spillway Crosscut and realized "oh, that would be because this is actually Gondola Line".

I made a project of skiing all the trails that I wasn't sure I'd ever skied. Of course, after getting home I looked at the map again and realized I'd missed two, Choker and Flume over by King Pine.

Kid had a total blast; he had some issues in ski school but nothing serious (he has mild Asperger's, and following directions is not generally his strong suit). Being 7, the thing he most wanted to do was ski down Snowbrook because it goes under a road. He really liked that there was a trail (Tote Road) that he could easily ski from the top; this is a deficiency of Cannon, where we usually ski. His skiing improved enough over the course of the trip that he managed to do all of Narrow Gauge (other than Extension) without falling.

Next year the spouse wants to come along with the younger kid (who will be almost 3) and do snowshoeing from the Outdoor Center, and maybe try skiing.

salsgang

Thanks for the Maine Mountain report! Seems like you had a good time. You just missed the snow of course but maybe next time. Gondi is a 'take a big gulp' type of trail. Sugarloaf certainly has the steeeeeeep trails if you want them.

Glad to see your family is getting on skis and ripping it up. Nothing like being able to share memories on the slopes.

ceo

Oh, one other big change: is it just me, or is there like twice as much housing on the mountain as there used to be? Those condos along the Bucksaw chair were a particular surprise.