• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUGARLOAF: 2005 Alpinezone Ski Area Challenge

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bill Swain, from Sugarloaf USA has agreed to take the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge! This is your chance to get official answers to your ski-related questions direct from a Northeast ski resort representative! Please post some suggested questions in this thread and we'll select ten to present for official responses.

Also please don't be offended if we edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or some other minor thing. We'll do our best to keep the substance of your question. If we don't get your question in, feel free to post a follow up after we get the results...we are encouraging the representatives follow the threads. :wink:

As always, please be respectful of Bill and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Sugarloaf needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away!

Vortex

Let me start by saying Reggae weekend is now part of my Season plans for life. :D Do you have other major events or weekends planned? That would make me want to do more long Weekends here.

awf170

Are there any plans for mid mountain lift around were the gondola used to be,because the timberline lift is so far out of the way. I know the wind is ferious around there but if it was low enough I think it could work, or just any new lifts

awf170

Are there any plans for any new glades. I really love sugarloafs glades, exspecially cant dog, and I'm hoping for some more.

ga2ski

awf170 said:
Are there any plans for mid mountain lift around were the gondola used to be,because the timberline lift is so far out of the way. I know the wind is ferious around there but if it was low enough I think it could work, or just any new lifts
Damn you beat me to that one. I like SL, but I hate the fact that I always seem to have all the way to the base where everone else is.

awf170

ga2ski said:
awf170 said:
Damn you beat me to that one. I like SL, but I hate the fact that I always seem to have all the way to the base where everone else is.
That old gondola was such an awsome location, you could just do laps on the steeps... only got to ride it once though :cry: i got a few pics of me a the top getting off but my stupid scanner doesnt work

loafer89

My questions would be:

1) Are there any plans to convert the summit gondola building into a summit lodge, or at the very least a facility with restrooms? If not, what will be done with the structure?

2) I skied at Sugarloaf for my family vacation from February 7th-14th, 2005. During MOST of this time Competition Hill was closed for racing, and access to Narrow Gauge was very limited. As a skier who paid $59 for a ticket, will this practice continue in the future?

3) There are rumors that ASC resorts are scaling back on the length of their ski seasons for next year, will Sugarloaf maintain the same amount of operating ski days as before?

4)Does the Sugarloaf ski school offer Advanced clinics for glade/mogul/powder skiing?

5) Are the Snowbrook condominiums included again in the sports/fitness club access? When I visited in February they were not part of this facility and this was a detriment to our staying at Sugarloaf.

Greg

Staff member
We broke the news regarding when this year's Reggae Fest would be during the challenge last summer. Do you have a date set yet for the 18th Annual Budweiser Reggae Festival next spring? The Easter holiday (4/16/2006) will not impact the dates next year like in 2004. That opens up March 30-April 2, 2006 or April 6-9, 2006. Any chance of it being the earlier option? You really lucked out this season with abundant snow and great conditions for Reggae Fest, but I feel holding the event a week earlier provides an even better chance for optimal ski conditions. How much does the fact that many people mark Reggae Fest as the "end of the season" for them impact when it's held?

awf170

Why is the line for the superquad always directed up the mountain, it is such a pain standing on a slope. Also reguarding this problem is there anything you could do with that little drop before the superquad it always gets moguled and icy and is a death trap for begginers. I would think you could more some dirt from that hill up a little bit to make it longer hense less steep.

Am what Im saying making sense, comments welcome? Do you guys agree?

K2Trav

Website
www.k2trav.com
1) Are there any plans to convert the summit gondola building into a summit lodge, or at the very least a facility with restrooms? If not, what will be done with the structure?

There are no plans to improve the gondi building, it could possibly be torn down this summer, of course that would cost $, so most likely nothing will happen to it.

2) I skied at Sugarloaf for my family vacation from February 7th-14th, 2005. During MOST of this time Competition Hill was closed for racing, and access to Narrow Gauge was very limited. As a skier who paid $59 for a ticket, will this practice continue in the future?

Yes this practice will continue, Sugarloaf is a training area for CVA, Colby and many other race teams.

3) There are rumors that ASC resorts are scaling back on the length of their ski seasons for next year, will Sugarloaf maintain the same amount of operating ski days as before?

Management is talking about closing 1 week earlier than this season

4)Does the Sugarloaf ski school offer Advanced clinics for glade/mogul/powder skiing?

Yes

5) Are the Snowbrook condominiums included again in the sports/fitness club access? When I visited in February they were not part of this facility and this was a detriment to our staying at Sugarloaf.

No, because the Snowbrook condos have there own Pool Building with 2 or 3 hot tubs and workout equipment

What is the plan for Burnt Mountain? I have heard rumors that SL has plans on developing it. Is it true? If so is there any plan to develop it in the near future?

There were plans drawn up for Burnt mountain a few years ago, but with ASC's current financial problems dont look for anything being built there in the foreseable future unless we get a new owner.

There is a plan for a mid mountain lift going from about 50 yards east of Spillway to the top, but again with ASC's money problems dont look for it to happen anytime soon.

http://www.k2trav.com

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, I think we will pull the plug on this one tomorrow, so please get your questions in. :wink:

awf170

Whats the story with the creation of the snowfields, like about the fire and other things. Also was there any snowfields at all before the fire

loafer89

More Questions:

1) What plans are there for the gondola mid-station?
Will this be torn down?

2) What will the Adult ticket price be for next season?

3) Paul Schipper's skiing streak is very unique for our sport, what sort of publicity did this bring to Sugarloaf?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. Some great questions. Bill will be excited to get these.

Thanks for the energy...now on to another mountain.

(Lock)

loafer89

Wow, lift tickets for next season will be $62.00, I think that is a little expensive for the mountain's location, but it is a costly place to operate.

Bill did not really make it clear as to what will happen to the summit gondi building, but it sounds like it will be demolished.

awf170

loafer89 said:
Wow, lift tickets for next season will be $62.00, I think that is a little expensive for the mountain's location, but it is a costly place to operate.
wont be going there ever again...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Unfortunately, that is the way the industry is going...

Overall, another solid round here. Was glad to see that Bill got back to us so quickly with such great answers.