• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf March 19, 2011 - AZ Summit Scouting Report

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: March 19, 2011

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarloaf

Conditions: Variable groomers - woods / natural locked up

Trip Report: A quick trip report to give some insight on SL conditions for the AZ summit folks.

Pretty much a groomer only day at Sugarloaf. Late week warm up followed by colder temps meant variable groomer conditions... and the woods and natural stuff locked up.

Sugarloaf has PLENTY of base. Even the woods and natural you could tell had very deep base. It was very frustrating to see all that snow locked away like that! We took a run in a glade off of Timberline. It was very firm... just skating over the top hoping not to crash into a tree. Better skiers than I might have better success but I need softer snow for my 40+ year old bones.

Groomers were interesting. Each trail had a different snow quality. It depended on elevation and what time the trail was groomed I think. Picks of the day were Ramdown, Flume, Hayburner. White Nitro from the face skied pretty well just had to dodge some of the ice. Tote Road was pretty chunky... I think today's conditions will be much more consistent with a colder night and another grooming cycle.

Looks like some mid-week snow might help things out at SL. Regardless you all should have a great time! sorry I can't join you as I will be flying back on Saturday from a European business trip. Rip it up!

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the report. Indeed. Forecast this week looks promising for the Summit.

snowmonster

Thanks for the report. Too bad it was icy for you this weekend. As you said, it's good for snow preservation. Ice now could mean great conditions for the AZ Summit (with a thaw with no re-freeze on Friday night) and, more importantly, skiing in May!

Skimaine

Sal hit it on the head. Groomers were fast, firm and smooth on Sunday. 200% better than Saturday. They should get better with each groom. Trees, bumps and natural are all locked up. The base is wicked deep. We just needs some cooperation from mother nature.