• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf's Seth Wescott wins World Cup in Switzerland

AlpineZone News

Skiing News
Website
www.alpinezone.com
CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine -- Sugarloaf's Seth Wescott, the 2006 Olympic Snowboardcross Gold Medalist, won the first snowboardcross World Cup of his career today in Arosa, Switzerland.

Wescott, who was raised in Farmington and lives at the base of Sugarloaf in Carrabassett Valley, beat out Markus Schairer of Austria and David Speiser of Germany to capture his first World Cup victory. Nick Baumgartner of Michigan and Graham Watanabe of Idaho were the only other Americans to finish in the top ten.

"This is a good start to the season. I'm riding good comparatively to everyone else in the world and I just feel like I need to take advantage of that," Wescott told www.ussnowboarding.com following the event. "I'll hopefully get a few more World Cup wins in Austria and then go get my World Championship title back."

After injuries hampered him during the past two seasons, Wescott is back at full strength and on top of the snowboardcross world to start the season.

Mainers will be able to see Wescott go for another World Cup victory when the US Snowboarding World Cup comes to Sunday River in Newry, ME, Feb. 26-Mar. 1.

For the full results from today's World Cup, visit www.ussnowboarding.com.

For more information on Sugarloaf visit www.sugarloaf.com or call 1-800-THE-LOAF. For more information on Wescott, visit www.sethwescott.com.