• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee 12/12/15

medfordmike

My home mountain Pico did not open this weekend. Killington was offering 50% off for Pico passholders which I appreciated but I didn't think the extra distance would be worth it this weekend and I felt that it would be too busy with such limited terrain. So for my second day out this season I returned to Sunapee to use another comp pass. No surprise nothing new has opened since last weekend and the conditions had slightly deteriorated vs. last weekend.

The open terrain is still shaped like a big number 4. Skyway, Westside, and Upper Blastoff were fine. Toboggan was beginning to look more like mocha frosting than snow. Dirt patches were starting to show through on the runout of Lower Blastoff but everything could easily be skied. I had a good morning but like everyone else I am looking forward to colder weather. If I am going to ski limited early season terrain I rather do it on my season pass.

Pretty empty and no lift lines despite a demo day but I left just before lunch. The Sunapee ski team was there so at times it made the limited terrain feel more crowded than it really was. Warm day, no wind, and clear. If it was April I would have been thrilled :). First picture is looking down Upper Blastoff, second down Skyway.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

xwhaler

Nice report. Was there this past Tuesday. Good coverage given the weather we have been dealt.

I thought Skyway/Westside skied much better than blastoff. Blastoff was different conditions every couple turns

medfordmike

Thanks. I would say yesterday Skyway/Westside was also skiing better. Upper Blastoff had decent coverage but it was more inconsistent with hard, then chop, repeat, repeat....

Overall all things considered not bad. This week does not look kind though. I hope they can hold onto what they have. Sunapee is rarely tops on my "to do list" (although I think they are a well run and put out a good product). I give them credit though because they really don't hesitate to make snow when they can. So when conditions are marginal they move up on my list.