• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee, Nov 27th: Trailboss returns for seconds.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied:Nov 27, 2005

Resort or Ski Area:Sunapee

Conditions:MG/PP/FGR

Trip Report:I returned for seconds this am. I was able to leave early and was on the chair at 8:10am, a great feat for Trailboss. I'm loving being so close to skiing once again :beer:

I did four runs in that first hour--the grooming was great on Blast Off and Skyway. Chipmunk was a bit of a disappointment--death cookies galore. I had the place by and large to myself, which was awesome as well.

Sunrise was great but it was quickly overtaken by clouds.

By 10am I was going to get a snack while hordes of folks were just buckling in...what a great feeling. But my 10-1130 shift was probably the worst yet because every n00bie was on the slopes...crashing into things, skiing and riding all over the place, and kinda being annoying :roll: This was to be expected, but we were spoiled yesterday.

The snow overall did not hold up as well--Blast Off was pretty well scraped. Skyway Headwall was great all day but below it was all white ice. I did manage to find some soft snow on the sides of Westside and Lower Blast Off.

The most interesting part was the "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol" segment on my departure...management chased away a couple of teens who were trying to steal a snowboard...pretty intense! :eek: They got the plate of the car as it flew out of the lot...will be locking stuff from now on.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh yeah: they were busily working on the Sunbowl Quad...yesterday they were removing some equipment from it and today they used an excavator to lift the new Control Panel into the terminal. They were working all day today on it and when I left at 1 they had closed up the terminal and looked like they were wiring the new Control Panel. One of the lift ops told me that the lift was struck by lightning.

Rushski

Sounds like your Saturday outing was better than Sunday's and my few runs there on Friday. Friday was just Blastoff(s) and must have been pretty rough by late afternoon.

Hopefully the lightning strike on the Sunbowl Quad won't slow that anymore than it already is. I really enjoy a few trails on the Sunbowl side, but damn is that s low quad...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Rushski said:
Sounds like your Saturday outing was better than Sunday's and my few runs there on Friday. Friday was just Blastoff(s) and must have been pretty rough by late afternoon.

Yep, Saturday was less crowded and better IMHO. That snow might have been accumulating and making for better skiing.

Hopefully the lightning strike on the Sunbowl Quad won't slow that anymore than it already is. I really enjoy a few trails on the Sunbowl side, but damn is that s low quad...

I was under the impression that this was a short-circuit as a result of an employee error...Jonni in SnowJournal, Sunapee Employee, was the source. :-? Regardless, I have heard from two sources that (a) NO express quad upgrade anytime soon because of the new drive, and (b) it will only be *slightly* faster than the original quad. I recall the Sunbowl being REALLY nice and I am looking forward to skiing it, but you're right, that lift bites.

We liked the North Peak Triple...good steep stuff and access into the bowl without the line.