• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SUNAPEE: The 2005 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sue Liston, the Marketing Manager at Mount Sunapee has agreed to take the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge! This is your chance to get official answers to your ski-related questions direct from a Northeast ski resort representative! Please post some suggested questions in this thread and we'll select ten to present for official responses.

Also please don't be offended if we edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or some other minor thing. In order to get in all of the questions we MAY merge some questions but we'll do our best to keep the substance of your question. If we don't get your question in, feel free to post a follow up after we get the results...we are encouraging the representatives follow the threads. :wink:

As always, please be respectful of Sue and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Sunapee needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away!

ctenidae

The question on everyone who's been paying attention to Sunapee's mind has to be, "How are the expansion plans coming along?" Without damaging your case with the state, how do you feel about the progress made on approval so far?

Is there any chance of the Goosefeathers Pub getting a bigger kitchen?

Is therer a time frame on the high-speed quad for the Sunbowl?

awf170

What is that really small trail/glade inbetween upper blast off and upper ridge. Are you planning on putting a glade there because it is an large area with an excellent pitch for a glade.

awf170

I used to ski at sunapee a lot but since I went there last year and this year after a good snowfall(foot+) everything was groomed, so i was pretty much fed up and have not been there since. So my question why do you groom so much, even with fresh snow?

awf170

What is with the large rollers/waves on the main trails they seem very dangerous because you cannot see anyone below you. Are they supposed to slow people down, and if that is the case I do not think they do. I just think they make the trails dangerous.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Great questions!

awf170 said:
What is with the large rollers/waves on the main trails they seem very dangerous because you cannot see anyone below you. Are they supposed to slow people down, and if that is the case I do not think they do. I just think they make the trails dangerous.

Always wondered the same thing....

And nightskiing? Great idea!

So here's mine:

I enjoyed visiting Sunapee in March 2004, and Ms. Trailboss really enjoyed the cruisers, but I yearned for more good expert terrain (bumps, steeps, trees, etc). Any plans to add such terrain?

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I was at the Sunapee for one of my sibling’s state High school race finals; I must applaud Sunapee for their race course, the pitch and rhythm of the course was superb. However, while at Sunapee, I ran into many unhappy employees and supervisors, especially the Sunapee affiliated race employees. They were on a tear, particularly with the racers and their families; it was like the Sunapee Gestapo... I used to enjoy Sunapee for their friendly employees, low crowds, cheap tickets, and overall good atmosphere. Much of this has seemed to change, with crowded slopes, steep ticket prices, grumpy employees, and a gentrified atmosphere. Are there any plans for Sunapee to return its roots, the roots that made Sunapee popular in the first place?

awf170

salida said:
Are there any plans for Sunapee to return its roots, the roots that made Sunapee popular in the first place?

I dont think a ski area has ever changed back, once it goes to that side it never comes back...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Have you found any pressure to lower your season pass rates in light of stiff competition from ASC?

How did you do last season with skier days? Neighboring Pats Peak had a record season and the Crotched Rep stated that more people were skiing in Southern New Hampshire. Are you finding this as well?

Have you considered offering a "Southern New Hampshire" season pass that would be good at Pats Peak, Crotched, and Sunapee?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not too bad...I'm glad to see that the Okemo-Sunapee College pass includes Gunstock and Cannon...Ms. TB is really excited about that pass..Cannon would be cool!