• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River - 2/27/10

WJenness

Date(s) Skied: 2/27/10

Resort or Ski Area: Sunday River

Conditions: Powder / Packed Powder / Mank

Trip Report: Had a great day skiing SR today.

Drove up last night, back and forth rain / sleet / snow from MA all the way up. Was getting nervous at all the bare ground I was seeing while driving up on 95.

Right around the bowling alley on rt. 26 it changed over to Snow and didn't go back.

The closer we got to the mountain, the deeper and deeper the snowbanks got.

Parked at Brookside and went to bed.

Out the door right around 8:00AM today (buddy overslept for first tracks... oh well, still had a great day).

Pulled the skis out of the car and had to clear about 5"-6" of wet newfallen snow off the trunk of the car... The density kind of worried me...

Started out with a run down Cascades to Barker. Cascades had been groomed the night before, was pretty wet and packed underneath with a nice coating of lighter (6-8" it seemed) stuff on top. Took the Barker quad up and hit an incredible run down Top Gun. Nice and deep and ungroomed... Got a little manky towards the bottom.

Because of that we decided to head west.

Jordan was amazing, but had pretty long lift lines. We skied one run each on an ungroomed rouge angel, ungroomed excalibur and a somewhat groomed lollapalooza. People were saying that Blind Ambition was spectacular, but I couldn't convince my buddy to duck in there with me, and I didn't want to hit trees alone as I don't have much tree experience.

We escaped the lines at Jordan and went over to aurora. After getting stuck on the chair for about ten minutes two chairs from unloading, we had an amazing run down Airglow. The best that trail has ever skied for me. Thanks to the delay on the chair, lines were pretty long at the aurora quad when we got back down, so we headed up the QL chair.

We took a run down escapade -> Absolutely to the North peak chair. Escapade, a victim of twice a day grooming thanks to night skiing, skied, predictably, like a groomer... yawn compared to everything else we were skiing. Jumped down Absolutely which is the bottom half of the lift line for the North Peak chair. Some nice technical bumpy skiing there, had never hit that trail before, so that was fun.

We loaded the NP chair at 11:58AM and Were almost immediately in one of the most intense snow squalls I've ever experienced. It absolutely puked for 15-20 mins, and dropped a nice half inch or so that made everything silky smooth for a few more runs.

We retreated back to the Spruce chair and had a very nice run down Amex just after the squall stopped... Bottom of amex was nicely bumped and technical. Headed back over to Barker and took a run on Right Stuff (nice, but not overly remarkable compared to everything else), then a break for Chicken Cordon Bleu Crepes (lunch) in the barker lodge, then back at it again.

T2 was pretty fun, but my Bim's Whim was outstanding.

Finished the day with a couple Obsession laps (very nice top 2/3, bottom 1/3 a bit manky).

Finished out the day with Obsession -> Heat's Off -> Wildfire -> Road Runner.

Wildfire was interesting as it went from powdery to manky, to downright springy at the bottom. Fun trail today!

Called it a day a little after 2PM with completely spent legs.

What.A.Day.

-w

p.s. I have a few pics on the cell phone, I'll post them when I can. Didn't get better pics as my gf somehow acquired my camera...

Terry

It was an incredible day at the river yesterday. The Sunday River message board group got early turns yesterday. We were on the hill at 7:15. First tracks down Amex was incredible. Then got first tracks on vortex, airglow, black hole. Also got a couple runs in celestial before the masses got to it. Heavenly powder in there knee deep plus in places! After that we headed to whitecap for some runs. Was on the whitecap chair when that snowsquall hit. You couldn't see the chair in front of you. Almost didn't get off in time because you couldn't see the top station untill you were right there. Shockwave was skiing the best I have ever seen it and also made a couple runs on bimms. Definately a top ten day!

neil

I went up on a bus trip from RI. Kind of an annoying start to the day what with a slow bus driver so we didn't even get a chance to get on a lift till after 10am. Then immediately walked into a broken Chondola so had to huff it up to the Barker mountain lift. Looooooong line for that and lots of people falling off the top of the lift so frequent stops.

We eventually made it over to the Jordan bowl which had excellent snow conditions but a huge lift lines. Excalibur was a lot of fun, and I took my first glade run through Blind Ambition which was probably the run of the day for me. I'm now looking for similar glade runs at other mountains (although I know the snow conditions in Blind Ambition were pretty special).

Wanted to hit White Heat, but didn't have the time to make it back over to White Cap, but did lap Vortex which had some nice soft bumps.

Pretty good day overall, conditions on North Peak sucked at the end of the day, and SR really needed to shovel some snow on their lift lines as they were pure ice, but one of the better days of my season for sure.

johnnysmoothcat

SR was insane on saturday. Jordan / Oz was the place to be, no need going anywhere else (highest elevation). Woods were loaded, in part due to Jordan chair being closed friday. Made for some deep pow. One of my best days there. It didn't hurt I was on that 7:15am program too! Awesome.

snowmonster

Wjenness, I hope you don't mind if I add some photos from last Saturday's goodness so folks have an idea of the conditions on that wonderful weekend:

Celestial after the mini-blizzard at around noon on Saturday:
sr2.jpg

sr1.jpg

14" to 18" inches of new snow can swallow up your ski pole:
sr14.jpg