• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown - 3/2 (Gunny powder bumps)

mondeo

As I understand it, Kurt is out there right now finishing up the bumps. Apparently, he's almost to the bottom, near the racing finish which is essentially the last stretch! AWESOME! Hopefully a few more inches this afternoon to top coat them! They will start going wider on Tuesday night. This next month is going to be SICK!!!
So who's going to be the first to do top to bottom?

2knees

looks like a night session for me. crap. i really wanted to go charging in Area 51 today.

powder bumps will suffice though. hope the wind doesnt pick em clean.

Greg

Staff member
looks like a night session for me. crap. i really wanted to go charging in Area 51 today.

powder bumps will suffice though. hope the wind doesnt pick em clean.

Probably the most likely scenario for me too. Heading out as soon as my wife gets home from work. I'm worried about the wind scouring them too. Not worried about missing A51 though. 8" over no base is nothing to fret over. Been there, done that.

Supposedly a few AZ sightings already this morning, including 181. Lines should ski in nicely!

gmcunni

hopefully we'll get some mid-day TRs. i can only get out one night this week, if the wind blows away all the new snow i may opt to go thursday night instead.

Greg

Staff member
hopefully we'll get some mid-day TRs. i can only get out one night this week, if the wind blows away all the new snow i may opt to go thursday night instead.

Steve-O said he'd call me with a report.

bvibert

Staff member
Probably the most likely scenario for me too. Heading out as soon as my wife gets home from work. I'm worried about the wind scouring them too. Not worried about missing A51 though. 8" over no base is nothing to fret over. Been there, done that.

If I'm able to get out at all it'll be for a night session.

I agree about A51, it would be one thing if there had been any base left in the woods, but with this snow you'd mostly be turning on leaves and rocks.

Greg

Staff member
Chris Sullivan says closing in on a foot. Winds are mellow right not out of the N/NE. 3-5" more expected. Epic Gunny Bumps!

Madroch

I gave bagging work a brief thought this morning-- responsibility/guilt drove me in. That and fact there was only about 4 inches or so down when I made the call at 5:00 am. Now trying to finish up and get out there.

FWIW- Gunny was pretty firma and slick yesterday afternoon. Hope this helps. Almost wish it was a little wetter/heavier to stick a bit.

Last edited:

mondeo

I gave bagging work a brief thought this morning-- responsibility/guilt drove me in. That and fact there was only about 4 inches or so down when I made the call at 5:00 am. Now trying to finish up and get out there.
Trecherous driving conditions this morning. At the ramp from 9 to 91, I almost lost control of my car, which would have had me end up staying on 9. It was a close one.

Rossi Smash

Just back...had a great morning. 4th chair up and second tracks down gunny. The Explosiv's were just amazing in the fresh stuff, and still have edge grip where the boarders scrape it down to the firm base. Switched over to the Extreme's around 10:30 and played a bit in the soft piles forming up in the center of gunny.

It did come down hard there for awhile around 11:00ish. You guys enjoy the afternoon/ evening skiing!