• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

sundown vs mohawk

skiadikt

not starting a war but just curious about a comparison of the two areas. obviously on azone sundown is the area of choice and no one ever talks about mohawk. reason i ask is my house is about an hr from mohawk and i noticed that now they're offering $20 4-hr flex tickets mid-week. seems like a great deal if there's anything to ski. think sundown is about another 1/2 hr or so further.

gmcunni

not starting a war but just curious about a comparison of the two areas. obviously on azone sundown is the area of choice and no one ever talks about mohawk. reason i ask is my house is about an hr from mohawk and i noticed that now they're offering $20 4-hr flex tickets mid-week. seems like a great deal if there's anything to ski. think sundown is about another 1/2 hr or so further.

i've skied both. mohawk is a nice place i just prefer (and willing to pay more) to ski @ sundown. mohawk doesn't have terrain parks so if that is what you like you could be disappointed. similar in size tho i'd give to nod to mohawk as slight larger. sundown more modern facilities and better grooming.

personally i think lack of a park yeilds a more laid back atmosphere as the punkass kids don't' go there.

mohawk is a little more spread out too, giving a bigger feel. $20 for a midweek 4 hours is a super price, certainly worth a try.

mohawk is also a bit higher and deeper in the "mountains" of CT yielding more annual snowfall but this year that doesn't really matter.

gmcunni

fyi , $30 / 8 hour ticket @ sundown on thursdays for rest of the season (tho not sure how long that will be) is a great midweek deal too.

skiadikt

thanks. don't care about terrain parks but any bumps at mohawk?

2knees

thanks. don't care about terrain parks but any bumps at mohawk?

they had them late last year but i've heard nothing about them doing it this year. The base down here is minimal to say the least. I think sundown is the only place you will find bumps south of Mt Snow. (and east of the cats) They have two fields now. Gunny top to bottom (about 500 vert) and a shorter but much bigger set of bumps on another run.

vonski

was at Sundown last night. The Gunny bumps are spaced way to far apart. One could simply ski around them. No way to make a good line and unless there is enough base and warmth to soften and build them up not sure why so far between the spacing. But otherwise place was skiing well last night.

emmaurice2

I live 15 mins from Mohawk, but haven't been there in the past few weeks. They usually let 1/2 of Wildwood bump up but they never got the trail covered from edge to edge, so it's been groomed flat.
They never got to 100% open this year, either.

Mohawk has a few more trails and a little more vertical that Sundown, and if you criss cross the mountain it can feel a lot bigger than it is.

FWIW, I think the grooming between the two is comparable.

I like the vibe at both mountains but Sundown seems a little more energetic.

I don't know about weekend skiing at Sundown, but Mohawk can be obnoxiously crowded on Saturdays.

powhunter

was at Sundown last night. The Gunny bumps are spaced way to far apart. One could simply ski around them. No way to make a good line and unless there is enough base and warmth to soften and build them up not sure why so far between the spacing. But otherwise place was skiing well last night.

Yea seeded bumps need to be skied a lot....Beginning to get some troughs today..

Mohawk is a nice little hill.. Too bad they dont let wildwood bump up anymore

Steveo

bvibert

Staff member

That's just how the seeds start. There's some spots where they seem too far apart, but for the most part they're similar to how they started out last year, and those grew into man eaters within a week. A few years back they seeded them closer together and all we ended up with was small bumps with a LOT of turns. What we need is more warm weather and some skiers to ski them in!

Madroch

That's just how the seeds start. There's some spots where they seem too far apart, but for the most part they're similar to how they started out last year, and those grew into man eaters within a week. A few years back they seeded them closer together and all we ended up with was small bumps with a LOT of turns. What we need is more warm weather and some skiers to ski them in!

Yea, those really tight spaced mini bumps took a toll on the legs.....while last years probably started with equal spacing to this years... not sure we will end up with the man eaters we did last year... maybe not as much base and traffic.... hope I'm wrong and eating this words in a couple of days... happens often enough, so is likely...

gmcunni

i asked my 13YO daughter who skied Mohawk every friday night with school and hits sundown with me on the occasional weekend which one she liked better. her response - " i don't know"

bvibert

Staff member
i asked my 13YO daughter who skied Mohawk every friday night with school and hits sundown with me on the occasional weekend which one she liked better. her response - " i don't know"

Well, that was helpful...

bvibert

Staff member
not sure we will end up with the man eaters we did last year... maybe not as much base and traffic.... hope I'm wrong and eating this words in a couple of days... happens often enough, so is likely...

The same thoughts have been occurring to me. I've been beating them out of my head though...

planb420

SUNDOWN FOR THE WIN! Mohawk is ok and will have the "Bigger" mountain feel when you traverse around, but for my dollar I feel I get the most at Ski Sundown. For me its more than TONS of VERT and HUNDREDS of TRAILS...its more about the atmosphere, people, and the overall vibe. I ride mostly daytime and can say that this place has a real diffrent feel to it than other spots, I love how the groomers, snow makers, and terrain crew all ride there all the time and are so accessable and willing to take input from ticket/pass holders to imporve the parks and other things. Weekends do get pretty crowded at either spot so I dont think that would factor in your decision to heavily, but if you decide on pure snowmaking power then Sundown is the CLEAR CHOICE! I say this because everything we are riding at Sundown is manmade and they stopped making it Mid Jan and have been 100% and edge to edge ever since...the same CANt be said for Mohawk at any point this season, so I'd say that Sundown shows a much higher commitment to their passholders and day ticket holders to put out a stellar product from beginning to end!

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Sundown and Mohawk are both great small ski areas. They are not very much alike and that is probably why they both continue to thrive.
Not to be nit picky Planb420 but we were 100% wall to wall with 2 parks in December.
We will repair the carnage the rain left last night and all will be good tomorrow.