• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Teen dies at West Mtn

legalskier

Teen dies in skiing accident at West Mountain
QUEENSBURY -- The Warren County Sheriff's Office is investigating the death of a 17-year-old skier at West Mountain Saturday. Police received a call around 11:30 a.m. after two teens who were skiing in the area near the Triple chair lift became separated. The victim, Sean M. LaFlash of Fort Ann, was found in a wooded area by his friend. The ski patrol transported LaFlash to the base of the mountain. The West Glens Falls Emergency Squad transported LaFlash to Glens Falls Hospital, where he died from his injuries. Police say LaFlash skied off the trail and was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42293521/ns/local_news-albany_ny/

I heard about this on a lift ride at Kmart yesterday morning. They said he had just participated in the pond skimming contest, though I've no idea whether that had any connection to the accident.
R.I.P. Sean. Prayers to your family....

legalskier

then why do you mention it?

Because I thought it was odd when it was mentioned and the ride was over before I could ask. I was thinking that Sean was wet from the contest and skied too fast to get to someplace warm, thus losing control and crashing? I was hoping one of our esteemed AZ members could shed some light on it.

BenedictGomez

Because I thought it was odd when it was mentioned and the ride was over before I could ask. I was thinking that Sean was wet from the contest and skied too fast to get to someplace warm, thus losing control and crashing?

I doubt it, and lets hope not, or by the time the lawyers get done Pond Skimming will be a thing of the past.

Warp Daddy

tragic --- not sure where he was on the trail system there . I 've skied it several times it mentions by the triple . As far as i know the Pond Skim location is at the base of the double nowhere near the triple at all .

Conditions may not have been optimal either last time we skied it this season it was seriously iced up and a mite thin . West is still a decent hill though and is a good value

legalskier

Here's a new report with further info. It now appears he was skiing on his way to the competition when he crashed.
http://poststar.com/news/local/article_88225898-57fd-11e0-ac88-001cc4c002e0.html
So what I originally heard on the chairlift did have some basis in fact, which is why I mentioned it to begin with- to see whether someone here could confirm that what I heard was true and not just rumor.
It was a simply terrible accident in which a young man unnecessarily lost his life. I'd appreciate avoiding the conspiracy theories and backhanded insults and let him rest in peace.

dmc

It was a simply terrible accident in which a young man unnecessarily lost his life. I'd appreciate avoiding the conspiracy theories and backhanded insults and let him rest in peace.

We all offer condolences to the family..

But dude - YOU are the one that mentioned Pond Skimming..

You took it a step further - past the tragedy of a kid dying - and insinuate the possibility that it had something to do with pond skimming...

I'm not rushing to get you on retainer now... thats for sure...
Unless I'm looking for a whiplash settlement...