• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tell me about Windham

tnt1234

Oddly, I've never skied there.

We're looking at a winter rental nearby and have other reasons to be considering Ikon next year.

Decent skiing? How is their snow making?

We often get Belleayre passes, then ski Platty when there is snow, but might change up cabins. So Windham would replace Bell for us.

Thanks.

KustyTheKlown

Decent 1600 vertical. 50 of the same blue cruisers, even if graded black. Lots of grooming and generally prettt high quality grooming. Some more challenging skiing on the left side of the trail map. There’s one or two named glades and as far as I can tell not much else going on in the trees save for a few narrow bike trails. It’s been a reliable early season place for me to shake the rust off on ikon. I wouldn’t use it for much more than that myself. Beautiful 4 season region tho. Catskills are goin off lately

If you get a windham pass and ikon add on your world expands bigly

cdskier

Windham is fun for a few days...but that's about the most I can personally take of it a year. Not enough variety for me. I'd take Belleayre's terrain (and season length) over Windham in a heartbeat. Windham's season passes are also stupid expensive. Windham's snowmaking used to be pretty good, but I feel like Belleayre has really stepped up their game and Windham now seems to pale in comparison. They also get less natural snow than Belleayre...so that's a factor to consider as well.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Actually the max vertical of any lift is 1322 - significantly less than Hunter and even a hair less than Belleayre.

Decent 1600 vertical. 50 of the same blue cruisers, even if graded black. Lots of grooming and generally prettt high quality grooming. Some more challenging skiing on the left side of the trail map. There’s one or two named glades and as far as I can tell not much else going on in the trees save for a few narrow bike trails. It’s been a reliable early season place for me to shake the rust off on ikon. I wouldn’t use it for much more than that myself. Beautiful 4 season region tho. Catskills are goin off lately

If you get a windham pass and ikon add on your world expands bigly
E

tnt1234

Good info. Re: vert. The issue at belleayre is reall on the top 800 or so has any pitch. Does Windham have a little more sustained pitch in its vertical?

I do love belleayre for season length, snow making and a bit of variety. And dream catcher is worth the drive if there is snow. Suck a nice long glade.

crank

Because we have Ikon passes we have done a day trip or so 2 of the last 3 winters. Just never worked out this season. I have never skied Belleayre but no Windham does not have more sustained pitch in its vertical. Descent on top on a few runs though.

Kingslug20

Skied it when I was learning..then quickly switched to Hunter and Bell. Much more interesting.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

So why is Winham’s season pass cost so much?
They have always targeted a wealthier clientele than Hunter. They were the first in the Catskills to have a business center skiers could use to attend to office tasks in the middle of the ski day.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Very Vailish over there, the clientele have a ton of cash, tons of million dollar homes. The town is wonderful, but the Mtn is so so pretty much a blue run mtn. We call it the Deer Valley of the catskills. They are also top 5 in US for price of season passes.

tnt1234

Do they let things get bumped up?

What is the Wilderness Bowl all about? Good trees? How often do they get enough snow in there?

KustyTheKlown

Do they let things get bumped up?

What is the Wilderness Bowl all about? Good trees? How often do they get enough snow in there?
as far as i have always been able to discern, wilderness bowl is an unskiable densely forested area and I'm not quite sure why they label it. it may have been slated for future trail development (?)

tnt1234

as far as i have always been able to discern, wilderness bowl is an unskiable densely forested area and I'm not quite sure why they label it. it may have been slated for future trail development (?)
Huh. Yeah, weird that it would be on the map. Maybe it means something to MTB season?

catskillman

They just bought an additional 400 acres. Have not announced what the plans are.

Also, they do not get that getto crowd like Hunter, no punching out windows, fights, gutters & black mold in the cafeteria and bar, they made a ton of snow this year when Hunter did not, they have music and events every weekend, summer activities and friday outdoor concerts, new lifts...........

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Ghetto crowd at Hunter? You mean folks whose ancestors were confined to Polish ghettos almost a century ago?

x10003q

Actually the max vertical of any lift is 1322 - significantly less than Hunter and even a hair less than Belleayre.

E
Hunter's Kaatskill Flyer 6 on the main face is listed at 1477 vertical feet. This is hardly a significantly higher number. That said, the terrain at Hunter is much better for advanced skiers when Hunter decides to open it. As mentioned, Windham's terrain is mostly blue.

At one point Windham was a private ski area. It still has some remnants of that time frame. Windham is an IKON partner only - 5 or 7 days only on IKON passes.

KustyTheKlown

Ghetto crowd at Hunter? You mean folks whose ancestors were confined to Polish ghettos almost a century ago?

its a weird use of 'ghetto', mainly because as a pejorative ghetto tends to imply dark skinned. hunter's crowd isn't dark skinned, they are just vinny joey trash in starter jackets, who drink a lot, and fight. i dunno if this is still the case, but was certainly the hunter MO when i skied there in high school. in a rangers starter jacket.