• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain

Killingtime

For 30 million they could put in two HSQs and totally overhaul snowmaking. For gods sake Killingtons new lodge cost less.
Sounds like the owners want to be in the restaurant / private event business more than the ski business, but what do I know? They have $30M to blow on a fancy new lodge and I don't. It will look great nestled amongst the run down 1980's era condos and ancient, empty ski lifts.

BodeMiller1

Call you up in the middle of the night
Like a firefly without a light
You were there like a blowtorch burning
I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep
So many secrets I couldn't keep
I promised myself I wouldn't weep
One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now,
I'm in too deep; there's no way out
This time I have really led myself astray

Runaway train, never going back
Wrong way on a one-way track
Seems like I should be getting somewhere
Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Can you help me remember how to smile?
Make it somehow all seem worthwhile
How on earth did I get so jaded?
Life's mystery seems so faded

I can go where no one else can go
I know what no one else knows
Here I am just a-drownin' in the rain
With a ticket for a runaway train

And everything seems cut and dried,
Day and night, earth and sky,
Somehow I just don't believe it

Bought a ticket for a runaway train
Like a madman laughing at the rain
A little out of touch, a little insane
It's just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train, never coming back
Runaway train, tearing up the track
Runaway train, burning in my veins
I run away but it always seems the same

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/runawaytrainlyrics.html

2planks2coasts

Had Sunday Brunch up at Tenney this past weekend. Great brunch for $20 including a mimosa. Heard much discussion of the new lodge and a few staff reassuring folks that operations would see spending too. The second lift was repaired, inspected and operational the last few days of the season. That's a fairly good sign.

Smellytele

Had Sunday Brunch up at Tenney this past weekend. Great brunch for $20 including a mimosa. Heard much discussion of the new lodge and a few staff reassuring folks that operations would see spending too. The second lift was repaired, inspected and operational the last few days of the season. That's a fairly good sign.
Really need to replace the summit chair. Has to be the slowest chair around.

x10003q

Tenney ownership is going to immediately prove the old saying about making money in the ski business.
Tenney cost - $6.3 million
New Lodge cost $30 million

New Value........... $4 million after bankruptcy sale due to spending $30 million on a lodge at a barely functioning ski area that needs at least 1 main lift update

djd66

For them to be viable, they need customers First and foremost. Skiers are not going to go there because of a new lodge. They could probably put in 3 HSQ’s for that kind of money. Maybe they want to get into the event business? Makes absolutely no sense.

Newpylong

Really need to replace the summit chair. Has to be the slowest chair around.
It seems that way because of it's length butt the rope speed is pretty quick though. They can't replace it until they can make (reliable) snow off the summit. Or anywhere really...

BodeMiller1

In the White Mountains more money is spent during the non snow months. Weddings, Company Outings and those kind of events are rain makers.

Say the average person from Mass. Gets married every five years, and let lives to be 42. That's at least 8 weddings. If you can book the funeral (Mass folks call this "A celebration of lif🙄). More cash. So see this guy knows where it's at.

oldfartrider

I doubt it. Worked at Loon mtn 30 years ago. At that point ticket cut off was 5600. Today it would be much greater but let’s use that number. 5600(100) per ticket is $560,000. That’s one day ticket sales. Of course many have passes but this is a number from 30 years ago. Let’s say 1/10 of those people are getting lunch with a drink. That’s another 11k+. How many weddings generate close to 600k in one day?

IceEidolon

The cost per seat for a wedding at a ski resort makes a $100 lift ticket look tame. I won't say you clear any particular amount when you host a wedding, but your F&B, mountain bike park, scenic chair lift, disc golf, non-disc golf, camping, hiking, lodging, water park, alpine coaster, ropes course, etc. all get to operate without the overhead of snowmaking and grooming and (mostly) ski patrol.

The point being, you can definitely make bank on a busy weekend skiing, but you can probably have a better profit margin on an average summer weekend if you're set up for it.

Edit to be on topic: I don't think Tenney is set up for it, either before or after this lodge.

If the lodge is paired with proportional snowmaking and lift upgrades, you might actually make a go of it. We haven't heard that's happening.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If the lodge is paired with proportional snowmaking and lift upgrades, you might actually make a go of it. We haven't heard that's happening.
I think that this is because the owner is a real estate developer and not a ski area operator.

raisingarizona

Sounds like the owners want to be in the restaurant / private event business more than the ski business, but what do I know? They have $30M to blow on a fancy new lodge and I don't. It will look great nestled amongst the run down 1980's era condos and ancient, empty ski lifts.
I was thinking that they sound more interested in corporate events, weddings etc.

bigbob

For 30 million they could put in two HSQs and totally overhaul snowmaking. For gods sake Killingtons new lodge cost less.
Do they have a good source of water to up the horsepower on the snowmaking system?

BodeMiller1

So you're telling me there's a chance?