• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Balsams, NH

Dr Skimeister

Anyone able to tell me about skiing in the area near The Balsams Resort in NH? I'm considering attending a continuing education seminar being held there in February. I am aware that there is a small (?) ski area that is part of the resort, but I'm wondering about the proximity of other skiing, if any, near by. I've never skied in NH, so I know nada.

Puck it

It is only about 1300'. It is ok. Nothing else is very close. It is in the middle of nowhere. Cannon and Wildcat are about an hour give or take a few.

snoseek

I did my college internship there. The area is small but beutiful and one of the best when it snows. It is cold but the area is not too exposed, it's one of the last places to see rain during mixed weather events. The overall experience at the resort is real nice and old-fashioned in a good way. Hiking, snowshoeing and cc is also excellent. I miss it there, kind of...

BTW-Saddleback is a little over an hour of nice driving

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd be interested to know if anyone has stayed at the hotel...and your experience with the place.

snoseek

I'd be interested to know if anyone has stayed at the hotel...and your experience with the place.

I lived there.....

No really years after my time there I went back for a couple nights and saw it from the customer side. It was probably the best hospitality I've ever experienced. The food is inclusive (usually) and is very nice, everything from scratch. There really aren't many hotels left like this, the history is there for sure.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I've always wondered how much they groom on powder days. Haven't decided to risk the drive though. Would be kicking myself if I drove up there on a powder day and it was 90% groomed.

snoseek

I've always wondered how much they groom on powder days. Haven't decided to risk the drive though. Would be kicking myself if I drove up there on a powder day and it was 90% groomed.

Probably not too much-I'm not sure as I'd make that drive from where you live though, nothing really too steep. The skiing is part of a bigger vacation-like experience. If you can find a decent deal take your sig. other there and spend a couple days.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Probably not too much-I'm not sure as I'd make that drive from where you live though, nothing really too steep. The skiing is part of a bigger vacation-like experience. If you can find a decent deal take your sig. other there and spend a couple days.
I'd take open to close untracked foot deep blower on mellow intermediate terrain any day. My best powder days at Jay have often been in glades that aren't too steep. Would be just removing the trees. Honestly, I prefer powder skiing out of the trees any ways, just very hard to come by except on the first run or two.

snoseek

I'd take open to close untracked foot deep blower on mellow intermediate terrain any day. My best powder days at Jay have often been in glades that aren't too steep. Would be just removing the trees. Honestly, I prefer powder skiing out of the trees any ways, just very hard to come by except on the first run or two.

Yeah-I'm the same way. You should give it a try in that case. There is some tree shots too. Very very little competition, cheap tickets too!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
From what I've heard, I'd go there just to eat. They had a pretty impressive visiting chef series there this summer

snoseek

From what I've heard, I'd go there just to eat. They had a pretty impressive visiting chef series there this summer

They have their own 3+ year intense culinary school right at the hotel-Euro style! Those kids coming out of there are light years ahead of any other culinary school. Six externships (two per year) at only very select properties throughout the country and beyond. Many don't make it through but the ones that do have a great skill set with solid connections in all corners of the country-plus they get paid instead of paying 30+k a year to learn how to chef.

The food is very classical but it is truly a scratch kitchen. The pastry chefs there are very very knowledgable.

deadheadskier

Staff member
-plus they get paid instead of paying 30+k a year to learn how to chef.

wow, first I've ever heard of such a school. I've always though culinary school was a bit of a scam when given the right chef/restaurant an aspiring chef could learn just as much and get paid doing it as opposed to going to culinary school.

more important than the financial aspect is that I really don't think a lot of culinary schools nowadays prepare students for how taxing the profession truly is....15 hour days common place often without overtime pay, working nights, weekends, holidays, getting out at 2AM only to have to be back at work at 6AM the next day, poor pay, limited hours or laid off during off seasons, rampant drug and alcohol abuse surrounding you, limited paid vacation if any at all, often times poor health benefits and minimal retirement plans.

My advice for those considering the field, unless you are absolutely obsessed with cooking where major sacrifices in your life don't matter to you.......stay the heck away from the culinary field. The reward is great when you pull off the improbable under such stressed conditions, but it takes a crazy and passionate individual to make it in operations in this industry.