• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Band

I like the take a load off annie song..it's somehow inspiring...I'll have to check out some other band songs sometime when I am in a spiritual mood..youtube is great..like every song in the world..including my raps..

faceplant

Maybe some day I'll be able to be up in Bearsville (?) to catch a Ramble.

the theatre is over in Bearsville by WDST- while your there stop by Elliott Landys studio- its set back a little off 212 in Woodstock- you could go right by & miss it- def worth a visit

he was the official photg for the Band back then- (did alot of Dylan pics to)

check it out-
http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/landy_classic.html

I just bought one of his books - the one where Dylans tipping his hat on the cover

Dr Skimeister

the theatre is over in Bearsville by WDST- while your there stop by Elliott Landys studio- its set back a little off 212 in Woodstock- you could go right by & miss it- def worth a visit

he was the official photg for the Band back then- (did alot of Dylan pics to)

check it out-
http://theband.hiof.no/band_pictures/landy_classic.html

I just bought one of his books - the one where Dylans tipping his hat on the cover

Isn't that the Bearsville Theater you're speaking of? Right next to the building where the radio station broadcasts from? And the Thai-themed restaurant?

I saw a show in that theater last year. Excellent space. And I think some of Landys' photos hang in the theater lobby.

I think Levon's Ramble is in a space also in a converted barn but on property that he owns.

dmc

I think Levon's Ramble is in a space also in a converted barn but on property that he owns.

yup... Ramble is in Levons converted barn attached to his house on the other side of Woodstock..

Bearsville complex is the theater,WDST,Little Bear(Chinese food), Bear Cafe'

mlctvt

("The Weight"-although I like even better the version done with The Staple Singers on "The Last Waltz"), I like the second, eponymous album better. It's just that much more consistently accessible to me.

Interesting, I didn't know the connection. Now I now why Mavis Staples and her backup band incuding her sister played this song at the Mount Snow Blues Fest last weekend. Great performance.

ChileMass

True story - some old Deadhead-type friends of mine have resurrected their band after many, many years and one of them actually bought the Big Pink house! A couple of them live in it and they record there. I am flabbergasted.....their band is called Hooligan if you want to look them up. Apparently they released an album about a year ago. I had lost track of these guys back in about 1982 and had no idea....

The Band was so wonderful. I used to play Rock of Ages over and over. So many great versions of all their classics. Saw Rick Danko at Colgate University in about 1987 playing acoustic with some guy on harmonica as the only backup. Both of them were so drunk they could hardly stand up, and it was apparent Rick was on the downhill slide. It's a miracle he lasted another 10 years. The version of "It Makes No Difference" from The Last Waltz (or basically any other version) never fails to give me the chills.

WWF-VT

Long time fan of The Band. Owned most of their albums on vinyl and a few years ago bought the "Across the Great Divide" box set that has a few more live tracks and previously unreleased songs. Levon Helm's past few albums have been great and he gets a lot of play on WUMB station in Boston. If you're a fan you should read Levon's autobiography - "This Wheel's On Fire"

witch hobble

If you can endure Greil Marcus, try "The Old, Weird America". It is all about The Basement Tapes (along with substantial tangents and esoterica).

From the front cover: "This book is terminal, goes deeply into the subconscious and plows through that period of time like a rake." - Bob Dylan

Definately my favorite band from "the baby boomer era".:razz:

legalskier

Dear Friends,
Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey.

http://www.levonhelm.com/

002a0065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d4-0000-0000-000000000000_20120417204702_Levon%20Helm.jpeg

Edd

Man, that is the worst news. He would be a tremendous loss.

I really thought I'd catch him live at some point but I never did.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.

Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.

-Robbie Robertson

Good on Robbie to go see him. Though from this statement, you can't tell if he and Levon actually communicated and had a bit of closure after so many years of having a sour relationship. I hope so.

JimG.

Staff member
Good on Robbie to go see him. Though from this statement, you can't tell if he and Levon actually communicated and had a bit of closure after so many years of having a sour relationship. I hope so.

Agreed...nothing is worse than finding out an old friend/family member who you have not had a good relationship with passed after the fact. Death has a weird way of bringing folks together.

kickstand

Man, that is the worst news. He would be a tremendous loss.

I really thought I'd catch him live at some point but I never did.

Counting Crows wrote a song called "Richard Manuel Is Dead". In a live performance (iTunes Live from SoHo), Adam Duritz talks about writing the song and realizing he would never get to see The Band live with its original line up. Unfortunately, Helm's imminent passing is another missing piece in the puzzle.