• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Grateful Thread

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
22193947134_023c9b8f02.jpg

Barry Sless was rippin' it last. Always so fun to see Phil.

Last edited:

Funky_Catskills

Barry is my favorite as well for the Jerry Sound. Steve K is my favorite Guitar player in General. Got to Say Trey was mind bowing with the Dead Reunion.

I think they all bring something different to the table..
Jerry's sound was intricate - lot's to pull from..

deadheadskier

Staff member
A universe of styles to pull from. More than any a guitarist to ever live.

He was a bluesman, folk hero, jazz master, psychedelic, Motown; a man beyond description.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup

Dylan said it best

“There’s no way to measure his greatness or magnitude as a person or a player. I don’t think any eulogizing will do him justice. He was that great, much more than a superb musician, with an uncanny ear and dexterity. He’s the very spirit personified of whatever is Muddy River country at its core and screams up into the spheres. He really had no equal. To me, he wasn’t only a musician and friend, he was more like a big brother who taught and showed me more than he’ll ever know. There’s a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and say Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. His playing was moody, awesome, sophisticated, hypnotic and subtle. There’s no way to convey the loss. It just digs down really deep.” -- Bob Dylan

deadheadskier

Staff member
And we all say and think the same in our ways

"The heart has its seasons, its evenings, and songs of its own"

crank

Jerry and the Dead are responsible for introducing me to the world of country and bluegrass and traditional American music... not to mention Django Reinhardt.

I came close to wandering down to the Cap. last night to catch PAF. Was not sold out which usually means I can find tickets for less than face value out on the mean streets of Portchester. Stayed home and watched the CMA's which I had taped. Have a gig tonight so PAF will have to wait.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Liking Mayers guitar playing, but not his vocals. They're not bad, it's just he's singing Franklin's like it's a John Mayer tune.

Kind of weird to rather be hearing Bobby sing a Jerry tune

deadheadskier

Staff member
There really are a lot of middle aged dudes with tucked in Further shirts in the crowd. :lol:

Having just turned 40 and owning a Further shirt I could fit right in, but that shit remains untucked.