• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Look Pivot Returns

skidon

Just got the word, officially, that the Look Pivot binding (aka Rossi FKS, etc) is being "reissued". Seems the mogul skiers in particular wouldn't let it die. Good news, eh?

Last edited:

powbmps

Just got the word, officially, that the Look Pivot binding (aka Rossi FKS, etc) is being "reissued". Seems the mogul skiers in particular wouldn't let it die. Good news, eh?

Any official word on pricing? Heard they will be a bit steep.

powbmps

I just picked up a pair of FKS 120's for $150. I'm a low din wuss.

powbmps

That seems overkill. No lower priced 12-DIN? Bummer.

A few weeks back Rossi released some old inventory (or something like that) and the 120 showed up at a few places. The place where I bought mine had a computer glitch and sold a bunch of pairs for $60 before they figured it out :eek:. I missed that deal, but was still happy with half price.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Looks like niche marketing to me. Appeals to the inner-macho in you.

DIN range contradicts the marketing language:
"Translation: Less pre-release and the ability to set bindings at lower release values."
That is not marketing. If people actually need a double digit DIN, they don't want to do that on a binding with a DIN max of 12. Ideally, you want the DIN set somewhere in the mid to upper mid of the range. You never want to max it out so people needing the higher level DIN would definitely need a binding that can be set at the lower release settings that a 14 would allow.

That said, I weight over 200 pounds and was in my 20s when my bindings were last set as a level III+ according to those things they use in the shop and my bindings are set at like 8.5 and crank it up to a 9 or so. I just don't know why many people would need DINs higher than 14 when the average person doesn't even need a DIN higher than 12.

Definitely a Macho niche. They won't be getting my business for a DIN 14 though.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That is not marketing.
Definitely a Macho niche. They won't be getting my business for a DIN 14 though.

I'll agree to disagree. I'm in marketing, that's what we do - create demand.
Where marketing gets dubious is when you create a perception of need when in fact there is no rational reason.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Okay, I will give you that one Bill. I meant it was not marketing for those skiers that actually do have the need. There are not that many so market has created the need. But, that said, marketing and sales have also responded to demand because the macho thing is there with or without marketing. TGR guys would not be caught dead on a DIN 12 ski.

BigJay

The highest the chart goes is something like 12... Most "agressive" skiers with good build will have the "typical" 8.5 at Level III... And even agressive bumpers needs a release!

I have to friends who use to coach for the bump team way up north... I think they skied on 10s or something relatively low for people who learned their skills with Cusson, Dorion and such...

Hawkshot99

As a binding tech, I can tell you that the highest possible release setting is 12. That is if you are over 6 foot 5 inches, but only have a BSL of 270 or smaller. That is pretty much impossible. The highest I have ever set a binding is 9 or 10(not exactly sure).
I am 6' 250# and I have NEVER had a binding pre release at "9". That is racing, park, and everyday skiing.
Yes there are a few people who should be cranking there bindings up a bunch, but not anywhere near as many that actually do.
Every year I get a few customers who get angry with me because I will not set a binding by something other than what the chart calls for. Something tells me, they would have no problem suing me and the company I work for if I did and they hurt themselves though.

mondeo

Looks like niche marketing to me. Appeals to the inner-macho in you.

DIN range contradicts the marketing language:
"Translation: Less pre-release and the ability to set bindings at lower release values."
Only a minor contradiction. It means that people that would get a 18 DIN binding otherwise can get a 14, and those looking for 20 can go with 18. Or something like that.

Only times I have prerelease are hardpack/ice bumps when I'm not absorbing enough, bad landings, and when I'm really snapping twisters. Bindings are set at about 8. I'd love to see a 12 DIN Pivot/FKS, but may pick up the 14 DIN if I can't find a 12 DIN.

BigJay

As a binding tech, I can tell you that the highest possible release setting is 12. That is if you are over 6 foot 5 inches, but only have a BSL of 270 or smaller. That is pretty much impossible. The highest I have ever set a binding is 9 or 10(not exactly sure).
I am 6' 250# and I have NEVER had a binding pre release at "9". That is racing, park, and everyday skiing.
Yes there are a few people who should be cranking there bindings up a bunch, but not anywhere near as many that actually do.
Every year I get a few customers who get angry with me because I will not set a binding by something other than what the chart calls for. Something tells me, they would have no problem suing me and the company I work for if I did and they hurt themselves though.

Yep Yep! I was a ski tech for a good 6 years. People do feel like they "know" how there DIN is suppose to be set... And if you get "a real man" that weighs 40lbs more then his wife with 4 shoe size bigger feet, then he gets upset that his DIN is almost the same as his wife because he's much stronger...

You can always tell them: Get a screwdriver and do it yourself, but i'm not touching it or recommending you do so!

Philpug

a 20 din binding is like a 500hp car...not needed. I am running my Jesters at a 10 and never pre released . That said, I am very close to getting a pair of the 14's to put on some Kastles.