• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "News of the Weird" Thread

bvibert

Staff member

legalskier

People on the toilet embrace iPoo app
Almost 300,000 people have paid $1 each for a portable device iPoo app to share their experiences on the toilet with others trying to empty their bowels.***

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/06...ce-iPoo-app/UPI-23001339616993/#ixzz1ylsN5RvE

41785_30934816237_1247501_n.jpg

bvibert

Staff member

ScottySkis

Hawkshot99

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ngton-school-120625/20120625/?hub=CalgaryHome

Normally, I would comment that the parent needs to stop being overprotective and stupid. In this case, though, the school system, and those in 49 states, is being stupid. Sorry, Florida kids going on a swamp tour. No sunblock for you.

That seems like the school was making a very bad decision on not letting the kids bring lotion, but you can just imagine the lawsuit from a parent if they told the kids it was ok, and another kid had a breakout. I had never even heard that 49 states have outlawed sunscreen. If I was the school I would just have to say no field trips to any place requiring sunscreen.

wa-loaf

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ngton-school-120625/20120625/?hub=CalgaryHome

Normally, I would comment that the parent needs to stop being overprotective and stupid. In this case, though, the school system, and those in 49 states, is being stupid. Sorry, Florida kids going on a swamp tour. No sunblock for you.

Wow, this shit is getting out of hand.

That seems like the school was making a very bad decision on not letting the kids bring lotion, but you can just imagine the lawsuit from a parent if they told the kids it was ok, and another kid had a breakout. I had never even heard that 49 states have outlawed sunscreen. If I was the school I would just have to say no field trips to any place requiring sunscreen.

Hmmm, our school usually tells us to put sunscreen on the kids if they are going to be outside a lot. I don't think sending it a long would be against the rules either.

bvibert

Staff member

Outlawing sunscreen because one kid might be allergic is asinine enough. Banning school trips outside would take it to a whole new level.

kickstand

Hmmm, our school usually tells us to put sunscreen on the kids if they are going to be outside a lot. I don't think sending it a long would be against the rules either.

Same with us, so this story sparked quite the conversation in my house. My wife and I are pretty good about the sunscreen thing, since we're both fair skinned and burn easily. So many things could have been done differently here, but I just wonder what the woman's reaction would have been had she found out a teacher put sunscreen on her kids without her authorization. Part of me thinks she was going public with this regardless of what happened.

I'm sorry, but any parent with access to the forecast should know whether or not to put sunscreen on their kids. Combine that with the fact it was field day at school, and it should have been done as a precaution, especially with her daughter's condition. I don't think there is a sunscreen shortage in the USA. Rationing is not necessary. And shame on the teachers for not sending the kids inside or at least calling the mother to say, 'Hey, your kids are getting cooked - can you come down with some sunscreen or can we have permission to apply some to them?"

I just read some of the story from the mother's blog - apparently these kids aren't allowed to carry sunscreen and reapply. They need a doctor's note to carry sunscreen because the FDA regulates it as an OTC drug. Seriously?!?! No problem with the FDA regulating, but the kids can't bring it to school? Wow....I originally read the story and Yahoo and someone had a comment to the effect of "we're not doing right by our kids out of fear of litigation". Unfortunately, I think some kid is either going to be seriously injured or die because someone was not allowed to use common sense out of fear of being sued. Sad....

Hawkshot99

Outlawing sunscreen because one kid might be allergic is asinine enough. Banning school trips outside would take it to a whole new level.

I agree with you entirely. But here you have a parent sueing because they were to stupid to put lotion on their on kid, I am sure they could just as easy end with a lawsuit of putting lotion on a kid. Its dammed if you do, dammed if you dont.

bigbog

I think Pakistan has been abusing our relationship with them for a long time, but they shore do love the money we give them.
Washington and the Pentagon can't break themselves away from providing their girlfriends with the best pharmacies in the world......sparing no expense for getting the best quality. Just a few billion a week or month? since 03'...meh.

Last edited:

ctenidae

"After talking to Beers, investigators said he had a meth pipe "in his motor home that he uses to smoke crystal methamphetamine.""

How do you use a motorhome to smoke meth? That's gotta be tough. and probably worthy of a story all by itself.