• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

This Weather Is Killing Me

Zand

Right now, I'm sitting here listening to November Rain. Both the song and the rain hitting the roof. Wednesday's storm was supposed to be snow, but now it's rain. Thursay and Friday look cold with another rainstorm next weekend. :angry:

ctenidae

I'm diein' over here. All the snow anyone's been able to make's going to get washed away if this crap keeps up.

ChileMass

800PM Sunday night - Pats just won, it's been raining cats and dogs since 200PM, and it's still about 55*F outside my door here in east/central Mass.....

We need about 2 straight weeks of cold weather......

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
it's been pouring out here in eastern MA. just got back from doing laundry and got soaked just running between the house and the car twice. i keep thinking "just imagine if this was all snow." seriously need some cold air systems. november started out so cold but just completely fizzled like last year. if the trend continues, we should see a massive dumping in exactly two weeks!

sledhaulingmedic

We really need a change. This pattern is brutal. The rain is howling here and it doesn't look a whole lot better further North.

The skiing has been good everytime I've been, but I'm ready to move into the real season and get some variety (as well as pow!)

Joshua B

I'm just not that worried. I expect good quality skiing to truly start in mid-December and I'm not concerned if it doesn't start before then.

Vortex

I was able to get out Wed -Sunday at Loon was and dodged most of the (NCP) Wed after noon I quit just before the first bust. Thankxgiving I was back eating and watching football before the next burst. Friday and Sat am alot of snow making and Sunday I left as it stated to to look really nasty. The drive home was wild, wind blowing hard to see with all the (NCP).

The skiing was actually okay on wed and thurs lower picked rock only and trail was getting narrow and thin in sports, but is was manageable and yes open. Sat and Sunday they had the Picked rock top to bottom,
Friday and Sat the guns were on picked rock and Upper bear claw that did not look like it was to far away from being open..

Sat early was great after 10 the carnage started, Place really was not that crowded, but to many people on 1 trail and all the different abilities made it tough, plus all the race and compettion teams training made me get out quick.

Sunday was a pleasure get away day for most, hotel guest all leaving and not skiing made the morning great soft snow and not many people the gondi got busy for a while cause it was slowed down cause of 50mph wind at top. At 11 they told me shutting it down at 12. I took the hint and headed home.
As I left the (NCP) came raging I planned it all quite well.

hammer

How is this season comparing to previous seasons? While the larger resorts appear to have managed to open up before Thanksgiving, many ski areas are looking at this weekend (if they are lucky).

I'm bummed about having to wait a few more weeks, but it would be good to know if these "weather delays" are something that happens on a regular basis.

JimG.

Staff member
hammer said:
but it would be good to know if these "weather delays" are something that happens on a regular basis.

Pretty typical November weather...I'm surprised that Hunter has remained open every day since opening day on the 13th and it was great this past weekend, until yesterday that is. Even with the intense downpours yesterday Hunter will stay open.

I've experienced outstanding Novembers where the entire mountain opens only to be followed by warm Decembers. I've seen great November/Decembers washed away by January rain. But mostly I see what we have right now, spotty openings until December. Who knows if it has a pattern; to me it's just where we live.

We'll all be waist deep in snow and fun before you know it.

Joshua

Long range looks warm and wet. Because 02-03 and 03-04 were snowy and cold winters for the most part accross the northeast, i would not bet on a cold and snowy one this year. The last years like 02-04 were 94-96. Needless to say, 97-99 werent good winters for skiing, so you be the judge.

This can all change, but there is a lack of snow cover in Eastern Canada and that will prevent us from having winter any time soon as well, so right now I would find some other activity to do.

:angry:

B

beswift

Wait till you see heavy rain in January.

If you want to complain, I wouldn't do it now. Once I was travelling out west and did a lot of skiing in Utah. Then I drove down to Telluride, Co. to visit friends. It was January and they hadn't had any snow. Coonskin, the great steep slope one can see from town was brown and bare. Needless to say, I got out of town after a couple of days.

M

MsMtSnow

Haha

You're telling me - I have on snow training this weekend- there better be some snow!!

Jess

Ctownskier

Skied Sunday River this past weekend. The man made stuff was actually pretty good! Waiting for Attitash to open this weekend. It still was pretty warm in the North Conway area though this past weekend. Keeping our fingers crossed for this weekend! 8)

B

beswift

Joshua said:
Long range looks warm and wet. Because 02-03 and 03-04 were snowy and cold winters for the most part accross the northeast, i would not bet on a cold and snowy one this year. The last years like 02-04 were 94-96. Needless to say, 97-99 werent good winters for skiing, so you be the judge.

This can all change, but there is a lack of snow cover in Eastern Canada and that will prevent us from having winter any time soon as well, so right now I would find some other activity to do.

: :roll:
How does the lack of cover in Quebec effect your prediction? There's no telling what the long term weather will be IMHO. Futhermore, the fact that the last two winters were colder than usual (last year wasn't snowy, by the way) would indicate that you might have a warmer winter coming. Since snowy winters are not very common, you prabably won't have another one this year. Nevertheless, if it isn't as cold as last year (which wasn't as terribly cold as everyone has claimed) the chances of more snow than last year would be greater.

First Tracks

Website
www.FirstTracksOnline.com
beswift said:
How does the lack of cover in Quebec effect your prediction? There's no telling what the long term weather will be IMHO.

While I agree that it's darned near impossible to make accurate long-range predictions, the snow cover across Ontario and western Québec does have a discernable effect on our winter weather patterns. A solid snowpack over those regions in essence acts as a giant refrigerator, helping to keep polar air masses from warming considerably as they stream down towards the northeast. Our fluctuations in the East are much smaller once that snowpack is in place across the eastern half of Canada.

ctenidae

I can't worry about what the long-range forecast is- nothing I can do about it, one way or the other.
Instead, I'll sit here, look out my window, and get frustrated because it's dumping buckets of warm water out there, and that's just not nice. If I start thinking about the long-range forecast, I may just find a way to get that window open, and join that rain on its way down.

Joshua

nicely stated. That is the correct answer.

Check last years discussions around this time, we were talking about the same thing. As soon as there was snow in Western Canada, we had winter.

And, if you don't think last year was snowy, check out last years snow totals at Stowe

First Tracks

Website
www.FirstTracksOnline.com
We may just be getting the snow cover in Canada out of this one, actually. A FTO discussion forum reader posted 4 to 6 inches received in Ottawa, as the rain line was just south of them. And we just got in a press release from Le Massif, and they're reporting 26cm new (10.5"). Here's a photo from Le Massif this afternoon:

lemassif.jpg

Zand

So much for today's "snow". Glad it actually did snow up north, but we got jack here. No flakes or anything.

Monday is looking like a snowstorm. Maybe lasting into Tuesday before it turns to rain. Big cooldown the end of next week.