• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Too Funny - Another Panic attack over 1-3"

cbcbd

Man, in CT I would love when we had snow storms... nothing too big but just enough to keep most people home - schools would close and folks who could work from home would.

But you think it's bad out in the NE, try going somewhere where it doesn't really snow.
In Seattle, yesterday we got 1-3" which got wet and compressed to <1" later. The week before we got about the same amount... guy on the radio called in saying that he finally found some studded tires, that most places had sold out!! :D

Yesterday while waiting for the bus, basically 1/10 cars had tire chains on... driving on bare asphalt with some compacted snow here and there. oh man... tire chains, studded tires... all for <3" of snow.
And then you see all the cars just craaaawling going 15mph down these snowfree roads.

In the NE the big highways are always great to drive in unless it's a blizzard that plows can't keep up with. The smaller side roads are the problem... it was always fun to try to figure the less hilly way so you could avoid that 20deg hill.

Last edited:

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
On Wednesday when I left Loon, I was behind a car that would NOT go over 20MPH, the speed limit is 50! There was snow and slush on the road, it was a little (I'm being liberal with this statement) slick pulling out onto 112. This went on all the way to Coldwell/Banker Realty when they pulled over!

Free pass to Cannon or Loon to the first person to tell me what state they were from!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
On Wednesday when I left Loon, I was behind a car that would NOT go over 20MPH, the speed limit is 50! There was snow and slush on the road, it was a little (I'm being liberal with this statement) slick pulling out onto 112. This went on all the way to Coldwell/Banker Realty when they pulled over!

Free pass to Cannon or Loon to the first person to tell me what state they were from!

Geez John, that could be anywhere. Honestly. I am now convinced that there are people who are absolutely SCARED TO DEATH to drive in snow. I followed a woman for several miles at 20mph the other day on about 3" unplowed snow. It ended in her backing into my car at an intersection. Small scrape. When she got out she was such a nerveous wreck, almost in tears, repeating "I'm so sorry sir." Anything more I said would have just made matters worse. I told her to forget about it.

I wish people that were that afraid of winter driving would either stay home or take a winter driving lesson (and not from your friends.)

Sadly, we live in a society where a car is nearly a requirement to conduct daily affairs.

So I've stopped steaming about people who drive like that, I just back off (since god knows what they will do next) and relax a bit.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
If they are that scared, they should not be driving that day. All they are going to do is put themselves and others in danger. Call a cab, call in sick, call a friend, there are other options.

I am just having a little fun with my question though!

dropKickMurphy

It happens here in PA as well..I can't wait to watch the 11 o'clock news..there will definitely be live team coverage tomorrow from plowed mall parking lots..lol

Does PA have their own version of Shelby Scott? She's a long time fixture on one of the Boston TV news crews. For years, the only time you seem to see her is when a potential "Storm of the Century" is forecast (which happens about once a week).

As soon as the word "snow" is mentioned, the news outlets go into their full force "Storm Center" mode. They start urging folks to stock up on bread and milk, warn them to stay off the roads, and remind them to stay tuned for the latest list of cancellations.

Then, they break to the live Shelby Scott remote shot. You'll see this poor elderly woman, fully clad in Goretex, chained to a lighting tower somewhere along route 128. The camera will catch a Hershey Bar wrapper being blown around in the 8 MPH gusts; then it pans upward as something appears to be falling from the sky. A lonely snowflake flutters down and lands on the tip of Shelby's nose. "AHHHHGHHHH!!!!!! IT'S...IT'S... SNOWING!!!!! EVERYBODY OFF THE ROAD!!!! STAY INSIDE AND LOCK YOUR DOORS!!!! And don't forget to stay tuned to 'Storm Center' for the latest list of all your cancellations...right after this word from our sponsor".

ripzillia

SnowflakeofWinter.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Does PA have their own version of Shelby Scott? She's a long time fixture on one of the Boston TV news crews. For years, the only time you seem to see her is when a potential "Storm of the Century" is forecast (which happens about once a week).

As soon as the word "snow" is mentioned, the news outlets go into their full force "Storm Center" mode. They start urging folks to stock up on bread and milk, warn them to stay off the roads, and remind them to stay tuned for the latest list of cancellations.

Then, they break to the live Shelby Scott remote shot. You'll see this poor elderly woman, fully clad in Goretex, chained to a lighting tower somewhere along route 128. The camera will catch a Hershey Bar wrapper being blown around in the 8 MPH gusts; then it pans upward as something appears to be falling from the sky. A lonely snowflake flutters down and lands on the tip of Shelby's nose. "AHHHHGHHHH!!!!!! IT'S...IT'S... SNOWING!!!!! EVERYBODY OFF THE ROAD!!!! STAY INSIDE AND LOCK YOUR DOORS!!!! And don't forget to stay tuned to 'Storm Center' for the latest list of all your cancellations...right after this word from our sponsor".

I was listening to talk radio in boston last night. This fellow went on about how he refused to do the Shelby thing - reach down and scoop up some pow just to prove to everyone it was real, to stand oceanside and get pounded by cold waves..