• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top 5 Days This Season

Zand

5. Mount Snow 4/11/09

My first run was down a frozen Plummet which made me rethink going up as I knew the temps were low, but the runs softened up quickly as the sun popped out for just long enough, making the North Face great for the rest of the day. Chute had awesome bumps and a sneak run into the Trials were worth the walk out at the end.

4. Killington 11/28/08

A decent November opened a few natural runs at Killington in time for Thanksgiving. An hour long snow squall that morning refreshed the cover, making for sick runs down Royal Flush and Northstar. Having these runs open on Thanksgiving and skiing well was a nice treat. An excellent early season day.

3. Wachusett 3/2/09

A rare powder day at Wachusett. Obviously most of it was cut up before long, so I "explored" a little bit between Balance Rock, Ropers, and Lower Conifer. Managed to keep this sneakiness away from ski patrol, but did get caught on the upper road of Smith and got a talking to. Fun to get a little natural action at Wachusett on a 12" day though.

2. Magic 1/21/09

My first day here. I was the 12th car into the parking lot at 10:15. Found a lot of fresh snow all over the mountain even without a recent storm. Twilight Zone, Goniff Glade, and Talisman had nice gover with some bumps and some powder. Redline had very thin cover but was a blast to ski. It was a lonely day as I was alone and that double is a very long ride. Hopefully I'll return soon on an AZ day and have even more fun.

1. Killington 2/20/09

Arrived to find most of the place on windhold on a 14" powder day which made the outlook bleak. Did finally get to a running K1 and the fun started as soon as my skis touched Catwalk and I never looked back. Every woods run on the mountain was absolutely sick. The only bad thing was the 40 MPH wind blowing straight into the face on Snowdon Quad which kept me away from those woods, but the Canyon and Bear were so awesome.

Honorable Mention:

Wachusett 2/19/09

Showed up on a nice 40 degree afternoon expecting to ski a couple hours of spring bumps and head out. Well, the spring bumps were great for those couple hours. They roped 10th for grooming, so I hung around for a while and out of nowhere came a nice little snow squall. Covered the frozen-over bumps with nice sticky snow that made them skiable for 2 more hours than I expected. A good day just because I was skiing NICE bumps at Wachusett in February... never happens.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hmmm, couldn't tell ya. I'd say my day at Stowe was number 1 though in early March. Perfect corn everywhere, woods 100% open. great day

frozencorn

5. Jay Peak 3/8. Day started slow, foggy, icy, but got progressively better as the day warmed up.

4. Wildcat 1/19. Couple days after a nice storm. Place was in the best shape of the season.

3. Stowe 4/15. No lines, temps in the 60s, not a cloud in the sky.

2. Sugarbush 4/16. Sweet corn on Organgrinder. Might have been No. 1 had the quad not shut down for 2 hours.

1. Stowe 3/27. 65 degrees, bluebird, $3 PBRs, and a nice dinner at Michael's on the Hill with the wife.

WWF-VT

Sugarbush Feb 19th - Feb 21st

Thursday woke up to mountain reporting 6-8 inches of new snow and it a little dense and packed in well. After a "powder drought" it seemed like everyone was at the mountain that day. Friday brought another 8 inches of fluffier snow and surprisingly fewer people and I spent the day getting untracked lines in woods all over the mountain. Saturday woke up to 8 inches of new snow in the driveway and
the mountain reporting 18-24 inches up top. It was REAL ! February 21st was the day to be at Sugarbush this year as the snow was dry and fluffy and seriously deep. Few early runs on the Heavens Gate chair have to rank as some of the best conditions I have skied.

kingdom-tele

5. Oct 27 - first powder day of the season at jay, can am, vermonter, and derriks runs over boot deep

4. Burke mid december - BC gates open and thigh deep powder to ourselves for the day

3. Snowbasin, UT - early Feb, 10-15 inches blown in to thigh, waist deep, capped with an end of day run down no name peak after the upper gondi opened at 2:30, the smiling actually hurt at the end

2. Jay - end of Feb, 10 + 12 + 12 + 12 + 12 over five days meant big jay runs were special, and would have been #1 if not for...

1. Poweder Mountain, UT - early Feb, 12 + 12 + 12 over 3 days, on cat ski terrain, with a friendly local showing us the chutes, nooks and crannies, what we dreamed of, best snow medium I have ever skied, like stackable feathers, I'll never get tired of the seeing, feeling, hearing the powder blow over my shoulder, up my nose on 1,000 ft runs, never so tired and satisfied

Greg

Staff member
With videos, just for HPD:

5 - 10/29 at Hunter
Fun adventure with Brian and powhunter. Great way to kick off the season.

4 - 11/30 at Sundown
Awesome bumps in CT in November. Gotta include that one in the top

3 - 1/30 at Magic
With bvibert and gmcunni. A wind-loaded psuedo powder day, but everything was skiing nicely.

2 - 3/8 at Sundown
Good sized Gunny gathering just as the bumps were really starting to take shape. Sorry I missed the following Sunday which apparently was truly epic.

1 - 3/17 at Sundown
With 2knees, ishovesnow and MogulQueen. Endless sick lines, warm and bluebird.

So, no big powder days, but I still had a great season.

The three powder days I had in Jackson Hole in January..

February 21st..16+ inches of untracked at Sugarbush..skigasm on Middle Earth..I jizzed in my pants..

#5....maybe one of the few 3-4 inch powder days at Blue the true..

AMAC2233

1. December 22, 2008 at Sugarloaf. 40 inches of powder. No other day even compared.

1. Feb 26, J-hole backcountry in 14" of fresh during "Powder Week"
2. March 5th, Snowbird, 14"
3. March 29th, Snowbird, 14"...solo day
4. April 1st, Deer Valley 10"
5. March 14th, Sunday River with my 3yr old, no tip locks, no harness...she was turning and stopping on her own...we played follow the leader...now that I think of it, the list may be out of order.

dmc

Kashmir trip... Definitely... All days - top days...

sharksfin.jpg

Kashmir051.JPG

Kashmir_164.jpg

cornice.jpg

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
#1 - Bolton Valley February 21
Third day of the storm cycle, 60"+, untracked all day.
main.php

main.php

#2 - Tuckerman Ravine, April 4
Sweet run down a very smooth Lobster Claw, followed by an epic bushwhack through the Little Headwall, and an extremely steep Test Run.
main.php

The next morning was pretty sweet too.
main.php

#3 - Bolton Valley, February 20
Day 2 of the storm cycle. 40" fresh. Dumping all day.
main.php

main.php

#4 - Bolton Valley, February 19
Day 1 of the Storm Cycle. 20" fresh. Dumping all day.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

#5 - Jay Peak, March 7
I didn't exactly think I'd be going to Jay Peak for a weekend of 40+ temps and soft, spring skiing, but oh well. Lemonade was made.
main.php

main.php

Pretty awesome season.