• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tornado warning for Litchfield - Tornado spotted

loafer89

Some nasty stuff in Western Connecticut:

Tornado Warning

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY257 PM EDT THU JUL 19 2007CTC005-191915-/O.CON.KALY.TO.W.0001.000000T0000Z-070719T1915Z/LITCHFIELD CT-257 PM EDT THU JUL 19 2007...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 315 PM EDT FOR SOUTHERNLITCHFIELD COUNTY...AT 252 PM EDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A FUNNEL CLOUD ANDSTRONG WINDS. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR HORSE HEAVEN...OR ABOUT7 MILES NORTHEAST OF NEW MILFORD...MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... MINORTOWN AND 8 MILES SOUTH OF HAIGHT VINEYARD BY 305 PM EDT... WATERTOWN...DELANO FIELD...REYNOLDS BRIDGE AND OAKVILLE BY 310 PM EDT... HANCOCK...TOLLES...PLYMOUTH AND PLYMOUTH GREEN BY 315 PM EDT...HEAVY RAINFALL MAY OBSCURE THIS TORNADO. TAKE COVER NOW! IF YOU WAITTO SEE OR HEAR IT COMING...IT MAY BE TOO LATE TO GET TO A SAFE PLACE.THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. GET UNDER AWORKBENCH OR OTHER PIECE OF STURDY FURNITURE. IF NO BASEMENT ISAVAILABLE...SEEK SHELTER ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN ANINTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM SUCH AS A CLOSET. USE BLANKETS OR PILLOWS TOCOVER YOUR BODY AND ALWAYS STAY AWAY FROM WINDOWS.IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES...EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE ASUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THENEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT AND COVER YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR HANDS

Greg

Staff member
Gotta head home and see if my house is still there. Luckily, I think this went just south of us...

Grassi21

Yeah but just south of you is closer to us. ;-) My wife was in the Roxbury and had to pull over due to the heavy rain.

cbcbd

Do these warnings really need to be in all caps? Just makes it harder to read and easier to ignore.

Zand

Do these warnings really need to be in all caps? Just makes it harder to read and easier to ignore.

NWS writes all discussion and warnings in all caps. I don't understand why ether but that's the way it goes I guess.

Greg

Staff member
I just saw video of damage in Thomaston with lots of tree's down.

There's no widespread damage here and there's no confirmation there was any tornado.

bigbog

...any unix/linux-based editors for browsers....?

probably a good time to find a unix/linux-based editor(would have an "UPPERCASE-to-lowercase" function) browser plug-in....

Last edited: