• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Another Magical Day. 2/6/14

RustyGroomer

TRMe2.jpg
c3a24cfa-b487-49f0-a925-5fb199ad3f36.jpg
TRJeffBlack.jpg TRBank1.jpg

RustyGroomer

Cannot add text in between pics? Can’t figure out why? Oh’ well, enjoy some pics. Great day/weekend @ Magic! Thursday was one for the books, followed by 3 more days of perfect skiing. The mountain is skiing amazingly well.

bdfreetuna

Looks a lot like my day Thursday at Magic. Minus the professional action photography and first tracks on the mountain. lol

RustyGroomer

Thanks! Far from pro photogs. Got a perfect day for pics. One look in the morning @ a perfectly smooth Black, I decided to bring the good cam.

bdfreetuna

A little post-production / Photoshop levels, shadows/highlights, maybe a little masking, and you could mistake those for photos in a Ski magazine, a couple of them definitely.

xwhaler

Do we assume snowmaking is all done for the season? I know Magic cleared Sorcerer and reclaimed pipes up there and I had heard they may blow there? (this was pre-season talk, not recent info)
Course they hopefully wont need to if we stay in a nice winter pattern. Just wondering if anyone has heard?

MadMadWorld

Do we assume snowmaking is all done for the season? I know Magic cleared Sorcerer and reclaimed pipes up there and I had heard they may blow there? (this was pre-season talk, not recent info)
Course they hopefully wont need to if we stay in a nice winter pattern. Just wondering if anyone has heard?

I doubt they will. It doesn't seem economical. Not sure what they use for a water source but if it's a pond then it's most definitely frozen over right now. It's kind of a Catch 22.

RustyGroomer

I don't think there's any plan for snowmaking. I have not heard anything to back that up. They really don't need it. Talisman has about 6' of snow on it. All snowmaking trails are covered very nicely. I could see maybe blowing for a "touch up" here & there but i'd say it's doubtful. Just my thought, really have no idea.

MadMadWorld

I don't think there's any plan for snowmaking. I have not heard anything to back that up. They really don't need it. Talisman has about 6' of snow on it. All snowmaking trails are covered very nicely. I could see maybe blowing for a "touch up" here & there but i'd say it's doubtful. Just my thought, really have no idea.

I guess we have heard rumors that other trails have been recouped over the years for snowmaking. A couple of years ago someone mentioned Witch to Black Line and Sorcerer as well. Is that not the case? Which trails have snowmaking capability beyond Trick, Show Off, Magic Carpet, Wizard, and Tali?

xwhaler

How busy does Winterfest get? Noticed its on the same Sat as the Black Magic Extreme Challenge.
I'll be there w/ my wife, brother in law,fiancee
My wife and I will be taking turns skiing and watching our son in the lodge/BLT.
Guessing Black Chair will be busy as people want to watch the comp so hopefully they get Red going as well.

I assume Winterfest is a good time? Never been

jrmagic

How busy does Winterfest get? Noticed its on the same Sat as the Black Magic Extreme Challenge.
I'll be there w/ my wife, brother in law,fiancee
My wife and I will be taking turns skiing and watching our son in the lodge/BLT.
Guessing Black Chair will be busy as people want to watch the comp so hopefully they get Red going as well.

I assume Winterfest is a good time? Never been

It should be pretty busy between the competition and the torch light parade that night. Though probably not as busy as this weekend. The Black line Tavern will be hopping that night for sure. The following day is usually pretty quiet with lots of folks that were up for the week heading home and either skiing the morning only or foregoing the whole day.

jrmagic

I guess we have heard rumors that other trails have been recouped over the years for snowmaking. A couple of years ago someone mentioned Witch to Black Line and Sorcerer as well. Is that not the case? Which trails have snowmaking capability beyond Trick, Show Off, Magic Carpet, Wizard, and Tali?

They have reclaimed a lot of pipe until they improve the system itself, they are limited to blowing only a small area at a time. Had we had more consistent temps early on we may have seen snowmaking on some of the other trails. Instead they were busy resurfacing the main route down and didn't get to Talisman even until 3 or so weeks ago.