• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: Cherry wood smoked Corned Beef

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Ok, just when I thought I've hit Corned Beef nirvana, I out did myself. I used all Cherry Wood Chips for this cook. This had much more flavors then the last one I did. I hope everyone enjoys this.

I started out with a 4.88 lb corned beef brisket.
Brisket02Prep01.jpg

I was a bit thrown off by this cut.
Brisket02Prep02.jpg

but I seasoned it anyway....kosher and sea salts, dried onion, red pepper flakes, red bell pepper flakes, garlic powder, cracked black pepper chipolte chile pepper & parsley flakes.
Brisket02Prep03.jpg

Drip pan, same seasonings, plus 3 bay leaves and 20+ peppercorns I put a beer in there later but didn't capture a picture of it
Brisket02DripPan.jpg

Chilly out tonight
Brisket02Misc02.jpg

Damn that charcoal's hot
Brisket02Misc05.jpg

Done!

The smoke clears
Brisket02Finished04.jpg

Finished product

Brisket02Finished03.jpg

Brisket02FinishedProduct.jpg

Sliced up
Brisket02Sliced01.jpg

Later,
Root

drjeff

Must stop looking at Root's Orion TR's after 11pm. One of these days I'll learn :rolleyes: Now I've got to go and try and not trip over one of my dogs on my way downstairs to the fridge for a late night snack :rolleyes:

drjeff

LOL....for the record, I tried to warn you via PM

I know, I saw my PM inbox notification right after I saw this thread :) :rolleyes:

Let me just say that the snack infront of me right now, some Boar's Head Londonport Roastbeef with a slice of sharp cheddar and tomato on an Onion roll while tasty just isn't nearly as good as that smoked corned beef was! Someone needs to invent "smell web" technology for TR's like this!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I know, I saw my PM inbox notification right after I saw this thread :) :rolleyes:

Let me just say that the snack infront of me right now, some Boar's Head Londonport Roastbeef with a slice of sharp cheddar and tomato on an Onion roll while tasty just isn't nearly as good as that smoked corned beef was! Someone needs to invent "smell web" technology for TR's like this!
The whole friggin house smells like smoked corned beef. I brought the drip pan inside to cool and the aromas have spread like wildfire.

Sounds like a good snack though. The corned beef was fantastic. You know it's good if you eat it with out any mustard.

Glenn

Nice work Root! Do you check the temp during cooking or do you have a good idea when it's done based on the size of the meat being cooked?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Nice work Root! Do you check the temp during cooking or do you have a good idea when it's done based on the size of the meat being cooked?
Yes. For brisket or corned beef (brisket) I use a guideline of 24 minutes per pound. Poultry is 7 minuted per pound.

I checked it after two hours and the temperature was 180F. I gave it another 15-20 minutes and it was 195F which was my target.

bigbog

...yummm!

Looks delicious Root...I've yet to do corned beef outside...can taste it as I'm reading...I'm hooked! . Aside from actual cherrywood used for canoe gunwales...all I've seen is the cherry stains..that they probably just slap on the wood before toasting.!;-)...OOUEUGH = YUCK x 100....:lol:

SteveD