• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trails with absurd difficulty ratings

deadheadskier

Staff member
Could be right on Shockwave being tied with QL for steepness, it's just kind of hard to judge because it somewhat shelves between sections of being very steep and others not so steep. Any trail that's steep enough to slide, is pretty steep. They had an "avalanche" on Shockwave a few years back. Actually, I think I recall Black Hole having a slide in recent years as well. Personally, I think Shockwave is the most difficult trail on the mountain due to the double-fall line as you mentioned.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree with the Big Emma one. I think it is so Snowbird can get to say they have the "most difficult green in North America" (actually heard that from ski instructors there). Another ridiculous one at Snowbird: the "easy way out" if you don't want to take Big Emma is called Snowcat Access, it is rated double black diamond. If you ski all the way to the right on big emma, you get to two "experts only" access gates. The run itself is sloped gently like a steeper green and probably 15-20 feet wide. The reason for its rating is that the run has a cliff on the left, and it does not offer much room to slow down. Were beginners to actually take the trail they would either fly off the cliff or crash into those exiting the Wilbere lift at the end of the short trail.

They call that run "Death Road" for a reason....

thetrailboss

Staff member
This trail was originally a blue square, until a couple decades ago or maybe more.

I think Lower FIS at Sugarbush is appropriate at a single black. It pales in comparison to the skill needed to ski Upper FIS or Paradise.

bobbutts

I was going to say Valley Run at Waterville being blue instead of green, but it looks like they have changed it to green. (haven't skied there in many years).
I'd disagree about the double blacks at Stratton, they are clearly more difficult vs. Stratton's single blacks. They could change most of their blacks to blues, and then change the double blacks to single, then the ratings would be more in line with other resorts in Vermont. But the rating system is supposed to be compared to other trails at the same resort, so for me Stratton does just fine at rating them.

bdfreetuna

Well, if Green= Easiest, Blue= More Difficult, and Black= Most Difficult , then we have a relative system for those.

However Double Black= Experts Only (or Extreme), and therefore this is not relative terminology. Experts are the same no matter where they are. Extreme is extreme.

Some ski areas simply do not have any expert terrain.. like I would argue with Stratton.. so maybe they should change a lot of their blacks to blues and then all double blacks to single blacks.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
While many of the steepest trails at Sunday River have been noted above, one trail that hasn't been mentioned is Chutzpah which has one part where you have to ski down an ice cliff (maybe 15-30 feet drop). You don't have to jump in the air to do it, but it is very technical. If any trail truly deserves an experts only rating at Sunday River, it is Chutzpah. Also, Ruby Palace, as mentioned above, has one very technical section and is pretty steep overall.

skiNEwhere

While many of the steepest trails at Sunday River have been noted above, one trail that hasn't been mentioned is Chutzpah which has one part where you have to ski down an ice cliff (maybe 15-30 feet drop). You don't have to jump in the air to do it, but it is very technical. If any trail truly deserves an experts only rating at Sunday River, it is Chutzpah. Also, Ruby Palace, as mentioned above, has one very technical section and is pretty steep overall.

Of the 10 or so times I've been to SR, that trail has NEVER been open. It's always looked pretty icy too

4aprice

I potentially might get flame action for this, but 80% of the single black diamond trails in the Poconos.

No flaming but the Pokes have some legitimate steep shots. They're just short but sweet. Cliffhanger is the only double black at CBK and I agree its not more then a single. Hump is actually the steepest but short. I think the double black rating as some one mentioned before is more to keep people away from it though its a fun ski. I will say this a bumped up Tunk at Elk, Challange at Blue, and Asp at Camelback are fairly challanging and deserving of a diamond.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RISkier

Big Emma at Snowbird. Pretty much a large meadow, but only way down on that side of the mountain. Rated green. It is so steep that they need a winch cat to groom it. Yeah, greens aren't supposed to be steep. They made it as wide as possible, but that doesn't make it less steep.

Bunker Hill at Burke is a green, but anyone who has skied it knows that it is pretty steep as well.

And another weird configuration is the run under Gatehouse Express at Sugarbush. It is three trails, but yet it is one straight line. Blue at the top, black in the middle (one pitch named "Waterfall") and the blue at the bottom.

I don't remember Big Emma being steep enough to require a winch cat, but I trust you're correct. Definitely not a beginner trail. I've only skied Snowbird once. I'd only call myself an upper intermediate and went there on a day when visibility was very low. Recall seeing cliff signs all over. Overall I found it just a very steep and in your face mountain. If I could have seen past the tips of my skis I likely would have enjoyed it more. Between the terrain, the low visibility, and not knowing where I was going I found it a tough day. I need to go back but keep driving by to ski Alta which seems much more friendly to someone like me.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't remember Big Emma being steep enough to require a winch cat, but I trust you're correct. Definitely not a beginner trail. I've only skied Snowbird once. I'd only call myself an upper intermediate and went there on a day when visibility was very low. Recall seeing cliff signs all over. Overall I found it just a very steep and in your face mountain. If I could have seen past the tips of my skis I likely would have enjoyed it more. Between the terrain, the low visibility, and not knowing where I was going I found it a tough day. I need to go back but keep driving by to ski Alta which seems much more friendly to someone like me.

There is an anchor and cable at the top for a winch cat. It may be to help out in early season when they push machine made snow around, but whenever I've skied on that run it's been pretty obvious that the cable has been used.

Alta is a lot of fun. The trail skiing is very nice.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pretty much anything off of White Cap at Sunday River is steep and Chutzpah has never been open when I've been there.

WWF-VT

Ripsaw at Loon is a "double black diamond" - it would be considered a challenging blue in Northern VT

powhunter

It probably got switched because some unassuming intermediates skied it and found themselves in a bad place crossing Outer Limits and having to ski the bottom of Devil's Fiddle. From a skier safety standpoint, it makes sense for a trail like Space Walk to have at least a Double Black rating. Only people with the ability to handle OL or DF should be on that trail.

Yea same with Racers edge...Traverses Highline and Concussion

Steveo

MadMadWorld

Nothing marked at Sunday River should be labeled as experts only. I have never skied Chutzpah but judging by what I have seen from the lift and pictures, I think your description of it is so far off the mark.

Smellytele

One day a trail may ski like a blue while another day is has the difficulty of a double black. They try to rate them on an average and also how they compare to others at that particular ski area. I don't think there is a governmental ski trail rater.