• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine - 03-10-05

dmc

Grabed the splitboards out of the car - Mine is a Burton my friends a custom Never Summer - and started skinning up the hiking trail around 9:30.
Bluebird day - temps in the mid-20's..
190451-med.jpg

Took a slow pace - reached Hojos in about and hour and 15 minutes..
19048-med.jpg

BS'd with caretakers for a while and ventured over to Hillmans Highway. Avalanche danger was bad so we decided to just test out my friends splitboard crampon setup on an icey Hillmans...
TR_03-10-05_Hillmans_Affix_4.jpg

I decided to bootpack it over but the drifts were up to the waist - So I hung at the bottom while my buddy tested out the crampons..

After he scraped his way down - we headed over to the Sherburne trail.. It was really sweet...!! The wind had blown a ton of snow onto it and it all settled on the skiers left side - nice drifts!
190413-med.jpg

Sherburne Trail
TR_03-10-05_Sherburn_Affix_1.jpg

Sherburne Trail

Took about 20 minutes to get down...

A great day of skinning and riding!!!

TR_03-10-05_splitboard.jpg

My Burton Split...

S

skinut

Tucks

Nice picks, but how can you put climbing skins on a snowboard?

Greg

Staff member
Re: Tucks

dmc said:
Board splits down the middle.. Turns into ascent skis.. Bindings repostitioned... Slap the skins on...
Hey, that's pretty wild! Could you use them as skis on the descent if you wanted to?

dmc

Greg said:
dmc said:
Board splits down the middle.. Turns into ascent skis.. Bindings repostitioned... Slap the skins on...
Hey, that's pretty wild! Could you use them as skis on the descent if you wanted to?

That would be a big NO

The edges on one side of the board is straight the other shaped...
More info...
http://www.splitboard.com/split101/

S

skinut

wow

That's interesting. It must be expensive equipment, though. In addition they are very short for skinning. I have found as a heavy weight a long ski has an advantage in climbing with skins.

Greg

Staff member

dmc said:
Greg said:
dmc said:

That would be a big NO

The edges on one side of the board is straight the other shaped...
Duh. :blink: That makes sense... :oops:

dmc

Re: wow

skinut said:
That's interesting. It must be expensive equipment, though. In addition they are very short for skinning. I have found as a heavy weight a long ski has an advantage in climbing with skins.

My split climbing skins are more then twice as wide then my tele skis - my board is a 168... I find it WAY easier to climb using the wide split skins..

They are expensive to buy... But the interface is only $150 and you can install it on any board... You just dont get a factory edge in the straight side.
I got my Burton from demo stock for cheap...

S

skinut

Tucks.

Certainly this will disgust you, but it only costs $59 to ride the cog to the top. I am thinking about leaving one car at the Pinkam notch lodge, driving around to the Hotel and skiing the Ravine.

crombie

Re: Tucks.

skinut said:
Certainly this will disgust you, but it only costs $59 to ride the cog to the top. I am thinking about leaving one car at the Pinkam notch lodge, driving around to the Hotel and skiing the Ravine.

Actually I think the Cog only makes it a third of the way up, on the other side of Washington.

bvibert

Staff member

crombie said:
skinut said:

Actually I think the Cog only makes it a third of the way up, on the other side of Washington.

Yes, that is correct during the winter...

S

skinut

crombie said:

Still, it would make the climb easier, wouldn't it?

thetrailboss

Staff member

skinut said:
crombie said:

Probably not since the Cog is on the WRONG side of the mountain. :wink:

bvibert

Staff member

skinut said:
crombie said:

It might, but its generally discouraged to hike up one side of the mountain a ski down the other. You want to be able to scope out the line you're going to ski down on your way up...

S

skinut

o.k.

Actually, I wouldn't do it. When I was in my last days at Dartmouth a group of people I knew went up there. They came back without a gal I knew. A few days later she was released from Mary Hitchcock bandaged head-to-toe. I've climbed to the summit since then but have passed on skiing Tuckerman's.

crombie

thetrailboss said:
skinut said:
crombie said:

Probably not since the Cog is on the WRONG side of the mountain. :wink:

I read last night about someone using the Cog to get up and over one of Washington's shoulders (can't remember the right term right now) by the Lakes of the Clouds Hut over the past weekend. I think it was on the amc-ski mailing list.

Pretty cool stuff. Sounded like a lot of fun. Wish I was a bit closer, and had some (experienced) friends to go with. I've hiked it solo multiple times, but definitely not in the winter with the cold, the skis, skins, etc.

loafer89

There was a huge amount of people hiking up into Tuckerman Ravine, and you could see them climbing up the right side of the headwall from Wildcat on saturday morning. Both saturday and sunday were 100% cloudless and warm.

dmc

bvibert said:
skinut said:
crombie said:

It might, but its generally discouraged to hike up one side of the mountain a ski down the other. You want to be able to scope out the line you're going to ski down on your way up...

Exactly.. If you come down from the summit and you don't know the terrain... And say - the weather is bad.... You could step right off a cliff..

It happened a year or two ago on Lions Head.. Resulted in a fatality...