• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tug hill vs northern VT forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowlover

Tug hill forecast-North florence, ny
Tonight Snow, mainly after 4am. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 7. Wind chill values as low as -10. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Wednesday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 11. Wind chill values as low as -10. West wind 14 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 9 inches possible.
Wednesday Night Snow showers, mainly before 9pm. Low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -20. West wind around 11 mph becoming south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Thursday Snow showers likely, mainly after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 14. Wind chill values as low as -20. South wind around 16 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Thursday Night Snow showers likely, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, with a low around -3. West wind 11 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Friday Snow showers likely, mainly before noon. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 4. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday Night A chance of snow showers before 9pm, then a chance for flurries before ending. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Northern vt, 3300 feet
Basically just flurries for a week out.

Tonight A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around -2. Wind chill values as low as -26. Windy, with a west wind 20 to 26 mph. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Wednesday Snow showers likely, mainly before noon. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 3. Wind chill values as low as -27. Windy, with a southwest wind 23 to 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -5. Wind chill values as low as -29. Windy, with a west wind 23 to 28 mph decreasing to 16 to 21 mph after midnight.
Thursday Snow showers likely, mainly between 1pm and 3pm. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 4. Wind chill values as low as -28. Breezy, with a southwest wind 17 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Thursday Night A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -8. Breezy, with a west wind 8 to 13 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Friday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 0. West wind around 16 mph.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -8. West wind 8 to 13 mph becoming south after midnight.

Just follow it over a winter. Tug hill average snowfall from multiple stations = around 250 inches. Snow ridge is snowiest ski area in east. Really no comparison. Follow the weather for the truth. Also look at the winds in the forecast! 30mph sustained in Vermont. All the pow will be blown off on wind exposed trails obviously. The high peaks of northeast are notoriously wind exposed. Snow ridge, which is on the east side of the tug hill will have great wind protection from prevailing westerlies and obviously not as windy period as high peaks of the greens(4000 feet). Also, it seems as if it's almost always snowing up there on the tug. All you need is a west wind! Great packed powder conditions as well. No reason for snow guns up there! Ride the real stuff! :)

Oh and lake effect season is starting to come to end/greatly reduce due to how cold/frozen the lake is getting and lack of arctic air this time of year. If you had followed this all year, tug hill crushed northern vt high elevations when it came to frequency and snow total, which are both important.

Last edited:

Snowlover

All true. As is, molehills vs. Mountains

No argument there.

500 feet vertical vs 1500+ feet. That's why there ain't no condo's/hotels big resort development on tug hill. But for the best snow conditions, no question tug hill is east coast gold. It's amazing, but the Wasatch range gets more than double the amount of snow as tug hill. Just crazy! I wonder how they keep the roads open in utah

HowieT2

Uhhhh, the northern greens from sugarbush to jay averages more than the 250" for tug hill.

Snowlover

I'm surprised some of those northern vt powder destinations don't cut trails into the ssw to sse side of the mountain. Just for natural powder skiing. Stowe and jay peak, and every mountain except bromley doesn't have s facing slopes, which is insane. I know it's due to sun exposure/sustaining fake snowpack, but who cares if it's natural snow. All the trails generally face northeast, which means they get absolutely slammed by northeast/north winds in a nor'easter. This is why everyone is tree skiing up there. You have trouble finding pow on the trails! lol If they cut some trails in a wind protected area, northern vt trail powder skiing in huge wide bowls would actually be possible. Northeast facing slopes at nearly 4000 feet are like a wind tunnel.

Snowlover

I don't understand the point you're trying to make.
Uhhhh, the northern greens from sugarbush to jay averages more than the 250" for tug hill.
You guys are new here eh?(or least not familiar with me!)

Quote 1= Figure it out.

Quote 2 = Oh yes absolutely because the resort told you so! That jay cloud is gangster! ;) HAHA

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I know you love to point out that ski areas over-inflate their snow totals.

My point was, is there anybody here who said that Tug Hill doesn't get snow? In fact, this year we've had a number of trail reports from there.

In one post you make up and then defend an argument that nobody is refuting.

Snowlover

I know you love to point out that ski areas over-inflate their snow totals.

My point was, is there anybody here who said that Tug Hill doesn't get snow? In fact, this year we've had a number of trail reports from there.

In one post you make up and then defend an argument that nobody is refuting.
OMG, the point I'm making is jay peak/stowe/northern vt do not average 375 inches of snow a year, while tug hill gets 250 inches. Even snow ridge lists 250 as their snow total and is backed up numerous climate stations. Snow ridge doesn't BULLSHIT. They keep it real.
And everyone refuted my argument last time I was on here telling me I was full of crap. Just wait, they'll be on here in short order.
On other sites, I was just cursed out. No real intellectual argument. Immediately telling me to F-OFF after first post just questioning it.

snoseek

I predict this becomes a 20 page circular conversation. Seems familiar.

Northern Vt gets the snow AND has the terrain, that is why people flock there.

Last edited:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
OMG, the point I'm making is jay peak/stowe/northern vt do not average 375 inches of snow a year, while tug hill gets 250 inches. Even snow ridge lists 250 as their snow total and is backed up numerous climate stations. Snow ridge doesn't BULLSHIT. They keep it real.
And everyone refuted my argument last time I was on here telling me I was full of crap. Just wait, they'll be on here in short order.
On other sites, I was just cursed out. No real intellectual argument.

If you meet an asshole during the day, it's bad luck.

If you meet assholes all throughout the day, it's probably you.

I do remember saying that it's interesting that Mt. Mansfield's Snow Stake is listed as 227" while Stowe and Smuggs claim over 300". I'd be interested in hearing why that is.

Snowlover

I predict this becomes a 20 minute circular conversation. Seems familiar.

Northern Vt gets the snow AND has the terrain, that is why people flock there.
Northern vt claims to get 125 inches more snow on average than tug hill.(nearly an entire seasons worth of snow at mt snow) I'm calling b.s. on that. That's my only point, yet people argue it.

Ct gets snow too. LOL So does utah and the chugatch range in AK. They have terrain. Irrelevant to my point.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Northern vt claims to get 125 inches more snow on average than tug hill.(nearly an entire seasons worth of snow at mt snow) I'm calling b.s. on that. That's my only point, yet people argue it.

Ct gets snow too. LOL So does utah and the chugatch range in AK. They have terrain. Irrelevant to my point.

Does the number they claim matter? The skiing is what the skiing is. It's really good, and that's what matters.

lerops

The problem we have in the NE is actually not snowfall. It is preservation.

Say you got 160 inches over 4 months. That's about 10 inches per week. Wouldn't you love once a week 10 inch or twice a week 5 inch snowfall? Obviously, I am simplifying to make a point, but the amount isn't bad, that's the point.

But that's always interjected by rain, 40 degree temperature fluctuations, freezing, thawing, etc. So, the snow we get doesn't keep -- it counts only if you get it until one of these things happen, which is often.

HowieT2

If you meet an asshole during the day, it's bad luck.

If you meet assholes all throughout the day, it's probably you.

I do remember saying that it's interesting that Mt. Mansfield's Snow Stake is listed as 227" while Stowe and Smuggs claim over 300". I'd be interested in hearing why that is.

the snow reporting numbers at Mansfield is an interesting discussion. Are you talking about the coop? If so, the reason it records less than the resort reports is that the coop measures snow in a cylinder as they have for as long as there have been records. While this is inaccurate because it doesn't catch all the snow that falls because of wind, it is maintained for consistency with historical records. The Stowe snow reports are legit and they do average about 310" a year.
I agree with your skepticism about jay. They may get some more than Stowe but I doubt it's the 350" claimed.

HowieT2

The problem we have in the NE is actually not snowfall. It is preservation.

Say you got 160 inches over 4 months. That's about 10 inches per week. Wouldn't you love once a week 10 inch or twice a week 5 inch snowfall? Obviously, I am simplifying to make a point, but the amount isn't bad, that's the point.

But that's always interjected by rain, 40 degree temperature fluctuations, freezing, thawing, etc. So, the snow we get doesn't keep -- it counts only if you get it until one of these things happen, which is often.

Exactly

HowieT2

you're calling bullshit on your own bullshit? Because no one other than you claims 375" a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.