• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Twitter saves the day???

bvibert

Staff member
Seems kind of bogus to me. From what I understand the trails there are pretty wide and virtually impossible to get lost on. There's also reportedly good cell service in the area. It seems unlikely to me that she'd be able to get a good internet connection, but no cell service?? I'm no cell engineer though...

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Wounded-Moutain-Biker-Saved-by-Twitter--99553894.html

It's awfully coincidental that she runs a "social media communications consultancy" business, and relied on Twitter to get "rescued" IMHO...

gmcunni

wonder if she'll be suing Winding Trails for allowing exposed roots on a bike trail and not having adequate cell coverage.

legalskier

Interesting post below the story: Is it possible to be in "semi shock" with "broken ribs" and to "yell for help"? (wouldn't that hurt?) And I love how she claims her bike looks like it was "hit by a mack truck" but the next day she had no broken bones or fractures. I smell a bogus story.

gmcunni

It's awfully coincidental that she runs a "social media communications consultancy" business, and relied on Twitter to get "rescued" IMHO...

who runs a Philadelphia-based health care public relations and social media communications consultancy,

health care and social networking as a job = get hurt and use twitter.. .could it be any more staged?

bvibert

Staff member
Interesting post below the story: Is it possible to be in "semi shock" with "broken ribs" and to "yell for help"? (wouldn't that hurt?) And I love how she claims her bike looks like it was "hit by a mack truck" but the next day she had no broken bones or fractures. I smell a bogus story.

I'm not sure where the broken ribs part comes from? Was that mentioned somewhere in the story that I missed?

What I really can't figure out is why she didn't get up and walk out, nothing was broken. She seems fine only a couple of days later, how hurt could she have possibly been??

Glenn

I love the comment from someone who says it was "good" that she used twitter because blackberrys have bad service. Explain to me how your interweb on your smart phone can work better than your voice...unless you're on wifi.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
This story got coverage on 7News in Boston where they interviewed her and showed the bike which basically had a potato-chipped front rim and nothing else. She didn't look too injured on the camera, but did look like she might have a hard time fighting her way out of a paper bag which probably explains a lot.

As for the method of communication: Can you post to Twitter through a standard text message? I've set up my facebook account to make wall posts just from texts sent from my phone, I would imagine you can use twitter the same way. No need to login in through mobile web. My point is, you can send a text successfully with a very marginal signal, even when a call can't connect as there is much less data to send. I have done this before several times. Something to think about when your stuck somewhere with shitty service.

bvibert

Staff member
As for the method of communication: Can you post to Twitter through a standard text message? I've set up my facebook account to make wall posts just from texts sent from my phone, I would imagine you can use twitter the same way. No need to login in through mobile web. My point is, you can send a text successfully with a very marginal signal, even when a call can't connect as there is much less data to send. I have done this before several times. Something to think about when your stuck somewhere with shitty service.

This is true, I didn't think about being able to access twitter via texts. If that's the case, then ya she might have been able to fire off a text even if she didn't have a good enough signal to make a call. I've done that before too...