• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

United airlines

kingslug

My wife volonteered to get bumped due to weight issue..which seems to be the big issue
2500.00 she jumped right off.
Tomorrow we have to get out of here...
Its pounding out there now...we shall see

kingslug

I know..its nuts...
My wife could not ski today..spent the whole day waiting and finaly returning to the hotel.
We have to get home..selling the house.
The house around the corner sold in 4 days..which means..ill be packing it up for weeks. Goes on the market in a few days..

kingslug

Thst being said...man its another world here compared to utah. The ski instructors make a good amount of money and ski with..well..the royalty of the world...
Had some interesting conversations with them
Too bad housing is insane here..and the job market sux.

Edd

I admire anyone’s ability to tolerate Mormons? Fuck, I don’t know. You can tell yourself forever that their bullshit doesn’t have an effect on your life until it does.

BenedictGomez

Flying into and out of Aspen on the lowest priced tickets is still quite expensive, but if you buy those, you are the first to be bumped off in these scenarios.

Some airlines bump the coach people who got the best deal, and dont bump the coach people who paid an arm and a leg?

BenedictGomez

I admire anyone’s ability to tolerate Mormons? Fuck, I don’t know. You can tell yourself forever that their bullshit doesn’t have an effect on your life until it does.

It doesn't have an effect on your life in any meaningful measure, so long as you live on the Wasatch Back.

Live in Southern Utah or Central Utah or Utah County? Sure, you'll notice some weird crap.

Reactions: Edd

crystalmountainskier

Some airlines bump the coach people who got the best deal, and dont bump the coach people who paid an arm and a leg?
This really doesn’t happen any more. In the wake of the Dr. Dao incident, major airlines decided they would pay whatever it takes to get people to voluntarily give up their seat. For United the cap is now $10,000. They don’t just bump people.

djd66

This really doesn’t happen any more. In the wake of the Dr. Dao incident, major airlines decided they would pay whatever it takes to get people to voluntarily give up their seat. For United the cap is now $10,000. They don’t just bump people.
I’ve seen $2500 - never seen them have to offer any higher.

I’ve flow in and out of Aspen a dozen times. I ended up in grand junction 1x, all other times were fine with various delays. You can‘t beat the 15 minute drive to the hotel once you are out of the airport.

jimk

From my limited experience dealing with them in UT over the last ten years, I'm fine with them. Used several for contractors remodeling son's house. Generally good, hard working people, straight shooters. Had a great lawn care kid who unfortunately just left a few months ago on 2 year mission. I Get a kick out of talking to them on chairlifts. But socially off the slopes they pretty much stick to themselves. Just don't delve too much into the details of their religion and you won't be creeped out. Also, I share a lot of similar family/conservative values so maybe I'm creepy :) YMMV.

abc

In my younger days, I actually spend a summer living in a Mormon run house just off campus. I don’t remember too much of “bullshit” that has any lasting effect. (Ok, they don’t drink alcohol nor caffeine. But I drank, just outside of their house. I would imagine that’s just as easy to do in Utah)

I also stayed in a Mormon run BnB in one of my ski trips some years back. They don’t serve tea or coffee at breakfast. But I knew that from before. So I just grab my coffee on my way to the mountain. In the old days, you can’t have alcohol at restaurants. But that has changed these days.

No religious talk whatsoever.

I’m sure there’re some value differences which may impact one’s life when one is living there full time. But on the other hand, heck, I don’t even agree with all of the values of the people here in my neighborhood. Those sure impacts my life just as much!

Reactions: Edd

BenedictGomez

they don’t drink alcohol nor caffeine.
Mormons can have caffeine, it's coffee which they cant have, but not because of the caffeine, it's because it's a "hot drink" listed in their Words of Wisdom. That said, they can have soup (I dont get it), and I'm pretty sure hot chocolate too, which makes absolutely no sense, because it's clearly a "hot drink". .

4aprice

So I was in Aspen last week as well. In talking to locals at the J Bar in the Jerome Hotel and Escobar on Cooper St mall, there is about to be a vote in town over plans to actually shut down Aspen Airport for up to 4 months to make improvements to the facility. Business owners are obviously concerned as the summer months are quite busy as well. We never fly into Aspen (guess we're some of those poorer folk talked about earlier) so I haven't dealt with the airport too much.

United Airlines has been nothing but good to us though. Hubs in both Newark and Denver have made getting back and forth between NJ and Colorado fairly easy and plenty of flights to choose from. We rocked and rolled across the country last night (no cabin service due to turbulence) but got in safe and on time. Looking to book another trip out in late April and back to Winter Park for Spring Bash in a couple of weeks.

machski

Correct, most of those are lower (not GUC), have approaches from both directions and ILS. ASE is a different animal.
Actually, ILS's are not the measuring stick these days for mountainous airports, its RNAV RNP approaches that can be designed with precise curving paths around terrain. JAC has a great ILS south, and a great RNAV RNP to the North runway. It however is not a bulletproof airport as a 6300' runway is quite short for an airport elevation of 6500'. The runway when snow/ice contaminated can be problematic.
EGE can be landed in either direction but only west landings have approaches. It has a special ILS to 25 but it isn't aligned with the runway perfectly and requiires a lot of added training requirements. They just published several RNAV's that are 10X better than the ILS, the lowest again requires special training but both align with the runway all the way in. With EGE, the one way only approach usually isnt an issue due to the west alignment.
HDN honestly is one of the best mountain airports, aside from being non-towered. ILS landing East and a decent but quite offset RNAV landing west. Super long runway too.
MTJ should be better than ABC's experience today. A lot more commercial traffic in there now (heck, I think even Southwest goes there now) and good approaches to 2 different southern aligned runways. Only the main North runway has an RNAV approach and it is the type with the highest minimums, so a bit weak during northerly winds. Big runway again on the primary.
GUC is a bit more difficult, it does have RNAV RNP to both runways but the west runway requires very tight tolerances and I'm not sure how many carriers operating for the airlines there can get that low. So effectively,, one way in airport.
SUN is like Aspen in that it is one way in, the other way out. Unlike Aspen, it has a better approach on the one way in but that doesn't help when winds don't cooperate. Interestingly, I've heard over the years, proposals to move SUN about 10 miles South or so which would take it out of the mouth of the canyon and create a highly effective airport. We'll see if that ever comes true or not as a new airport in this day and age is big $$$$.

crystalmountainskier

And let the bumping begin...theyre up to 500.00 now
I saw $2,000 a head the other day in SLC. In the most recent month reported, February, United only truly bumped 57 people out of more than 37 million passengers. Delta hasn't bumped a single person in over two years.