• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

upcoming storm 2/20 -2/21?

subdude

Well the mild weather is coming to an end. Colder air is already filtering in from Can. Now there's a good possibility of a decent sized snow storm for Sun-Tues time frame. The NAO is finally going negative that's what we've been waiting for all winter when the NAO goes negative New England gets belted. And the NAO goes negative during this storm. What i'm looking for is a secondary system to form off the coast should that happen, Eastern MA, RI, NH may see some rain but points N and NW all snow. Also, the NAO stays negative for at least 2 weeks due to blocking in Greenland which will send cold air to New England. With the -NAO in place we could be in for a monster storm during that period. Should be an interesting late Feb early March weather wise for us.

bvibert

Staff member
dmc said:
Thats hot... :)

...not too hot! :blink: We need cool for the snow ;)

Seriously, I hope this storm prediction actually happens! We could use it! :beer:

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Seriously, I hope this storm prediction actually happens! We could use it! :beer:
Yeah, and how about bumping it up a day or two earlier to freshen things up at the Beast....?

bvibert

Staff member
Greg said:
bvibert said:
Yeah, and how about bumping it up a day or two earlier to freshen things up at the Beast....?

That would be even better!! :beer: A big dump on Sat. would be sweet! :D

hammer

I'm heading out on Monday...earlier would be better for me too.

Oh, and while we're at it, i'd like to put an an order for another storm midweek for my planned trip on Friday. :D

subdude

hammer said:
I'm heading out on Monday...earlier would be better for me too.

Oh, and while we're at it, i'd like to put an an order for another storm midweek for my planned trip on Friday. :D

Well hammer your wish may come true because there's a possibilty of another storm for later in the week Thur-Fri timeframe. Keeping an eye on it. Dude next week could be your best skiing of the season.
I'm jealous my season is pretty much finished due to a blown out knee ACL, MCL, Mensicus and now we're in for a stormy pattern for the next few weeks. I'm already thinking about next season. :angry:

hammer

subdude said:
I'm jealous my season is pretty much finished due to a blown out knee ACL, MCL, Mensicus and now we're in for a stormy pattern for the next few weeks. I'm already thinking about next season. :angry:
I read about that before...tough break. Good luck with your recovery.

JimG.

Staff member
subdude said:
hammer said:
Well hammer your wish may come true because there's a possibilty of another storm for later in the week Thur-Fri timeframe. Keeping an eye on it. Dude next week could be your best skiing of the season.

Now you're talking really dirty. I'm heading up to the MRV for a week on 2/27 and the current pattern couldn't have set up better it appears. Taking a PSIA steeps/trees clinic at MRG.

Sorry to hear about the knee...my right knee is totally rebuilt, new ACL and PCL installed 4 years ago. The orthopods did a great job for me. Let me know if you need any info on procedures/docs to see.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
too much snow

I remember a few years ago during a poor winter we were all doing the snow dance.

On the Friday of Pres. weekend, like tomorrow, we got walloped with a huge storm. Many guests could not make it up the access road and they complained all weekend long about the powder they could not ski. We gathered all the 4wd vehicles we could get our hands on to get them to their accomadations.

Sometimes in this business it seems you can never win.

Vortex

Re: too much snow

ski_resort_observer said:
I remember a few years ago during a poor winter we were all doing the snow dance.

On the Friday of Pres. weekend, like tomorrow, we got walloped with a huge storm. Many guests could not make it up the access road and they complained all weekend long about the powder they could not ski. We gathered all the 4wd vehicles we could get our hands on to get them to their accomadations.

Sometimes in this business it seems you can never win.
With that kind of effort and service you will make friends. New years Eve this year around noon I was grabbin a sandwich and a beverage , my wife called and said you can't comeback . I was like okay. all the neighbors were off the road about an hour later. I headed out picked them up 1 at a time and dug them out of the snow banks. Ice is the only thing I'm weary of. Your right snow fall timing is important to all of us. Just busting TB

C

carwash

A dumping Sunday would be nice. I'm heading up Monday and Tuesday.

Bumpsis

subdude said:
Well the mild weather is coming to an end. Colder air is already filtering in from Can. Now there's a good possibility of a decent sized snow storm for Sun-Tues time frame. The NAO is finally going negative .....

OK, so I understand we're likely to get snow. Now, what the hell is NAO?
And what does it mean: NAO going negative??

subdude

The NAO is North Atlantic Oscillation it's sort of like the El Nino but in the North Atlantic instead of the Tropical Pacific. We want the NAO to go negative that means the Subtropical High Pressure is weaker and the Icelandic Low is weaker thus creating weaker storms that cross the Atlantic into N. Europe. It also means colder weather for US East Coast which of course means more snow. When NAO is postive with a stronger Subtropical High Pressure and Icelandic Low, the storms that cross the Atlantic and N Europe are alot stronger and the US East Coast gets a milder, wetter winters.
The trend over the last 30yrs has been a more postive NAO and scientist are wondering if it's due to global warming. Here's a few links that explains it

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/NAO/
http://www.met.rdg.ac.uk/cag/NAO/