• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah Ski Areas - Compare and Contrast???

RISkier

I just saw this thread come back to life. I don't know if it's the best deal but the 4 resort super pass is a decent deal. You might find slightly better prices at some of the local ski shops. If you're staying in SLC I'd probably agree with the suggestion to stay in the Sandy area. Lots of inexpensive lodging, quite a few restaurants, etc. It is like a suburb with strip malls, car dealerships, etc. Doesn't feel like a ski resort. But getting a place near the roads to the Cottonwoods Canyons would probably less expensive and more convenient than staying downtown. I think rent a car. If there are a few of you, chip in and rent an AWD vehicle. It will really give you a lot more flexibility in terms of travel to the ski resorts and dining. If you like Mexican food, I think the Red Iguana is fantastic. They have 7 or 8 different moles. Really special, IMHO. It's close to the airport. I've heard good things about the Blue Iguana as well, but have not tried it. If it's raining on in the Valley, don't despair, the skiing will probably be amazing. Have fun.

Tin

Bump
Starting the process of planning a Utah trip for this coming winter. We are thinking March to hopefully have the best shot at great conditions.
I've been to Alta/Bird 20 yrs ago with my family (I was in HS at the time so just skied/slept) and loved both mtns.

We are thinking of the Salt Lake Ski pass which allows us days at Alta/Bird, Brighton, and Solitude.
Will be a group of 5-6 of us all solid skiers. A few of us (myself included) may do Wed-Sunday and ski 3-4 days.
Other guys (those not married and w/o kids!) may be going for an entire week.
We are on a budget so staying slope side in Deer Valley is not in the cards this trip.

Couple questions:
1) Does the 4 mtn ticket I mentioned sound like a good idea?

2) Stay closer to the mtns in a condo or grab a room in downtown SLC? Having stuff to do at night is of interest to us but we are not going to party or look to be out all night. A bar/place to grab food and a hot tub would honestly be sufficient.

3) Rent a car or use the bus?

You're forgetting the two biggest questions for our trip...

1. What days/times can booze be bought?
2. Do Mormon hookers do anything aside from the missionary position?

machski

You're forgetting the two biggest questions for our trip...

1. What days/times can booze be bought?
2. Do Mormon hookers do anything aside from the missionary position?

Go up to Ogden then and hit Powder and Snowbasin. No Mormon issues that I could see two weekends ago when I was out there.

jimk

Personally, I much prefer renting a car so as to have control over my schedule during a vacation where I am commuting to a number of different ski mtns. Since there will be several of you to split costs it should be cheap. If there is a huge price difference between 2wd car and 4wd SUV you might reserve one of each weeks/months in advance at lowest price you can find and watch weather reports. When your day of travel arrives you can decide which to actually rent when you get to SLC airport. If you go with a 2wd and there's a surprise storm, buy some cheap chains or ride the bus that day. There is rarely serious snow in SLC downtown/airport/suburbs.

There is a dive bar with good, cheap garlic burgers near base of Big Cottonwood Canyon called The Cotton Bottom Inn. Check it out if that's your kind of thing: https://gutbombs.wordpress.com/2013/09/17/local-yokealz-cottonbottom-inn-salt-lake-city-garlic-burgers/

The Lone Star Taqueria is also in the same vicinity of Cottonwood Heights and is a good and cheap (and very informal) little place to eat. Can be especially nice to dine outside there on a mild spring ski day. They have cold draft or bottled beer. https://www.yelp.com/biz/lone-star-taqueria-salt-lake-city-2 If it's 50 degs at the ski mtn that day, it can easily still be 70 degs at 530PM at this little taco joint in the burbs.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Ugh. SLC friend lost his job and is taking a new one in SF. Bye bye insanely cheap Utah access. Hello hotels and rental cars.

KustyTheKlown

Wow, that sucks. The drive from the Bay to Tahoe suuuuuucccckkks.

Yeah he's really unhappy. He was there for a year and made a really nice life for himself. Dawn patrols before going to work at a very nice professional job. He truly had the best of both worlds. I'm bummed for him and for me. And now that he's near Tahoe, max pass doesn't make a lick of sense so it's unlikely we get any/many days together

abc

Yeah he's really unhappy. He was there for a year and made a really nice life for himself. Dawn patrols before going to work at a very nice professional job. He truly had the best of both worlds. I'm bummed for him and for me. And now that he's near Tahoe, max pass doesn't make a lick of sense so it's unlikely we get any/many days together
He should just stay in Utah and look for a job there.

SF is expensive, for good reason. There's life beyond skiing. There're a lot of nice things going on that most people enjoy. That's why it's so expensive to live there, because people WANT to be there. Except, skiing isn't it. Why pay a premium and endure the stress to get something you don't want?

KustyTheKlown

yea, he tried. he's been out of work for over two months now. i dont think he was looking for a job in SF so much as he was looking for a job in his field. he was an in house lawyer for a start up peer to peer lending service, and now he's gonna be an in house lawyer for another peer to peer lending service. we know each other because we were both in house lawyers in the banking industry in nyc for the same company before he pulled the utah trigger.

abc

yea, he tried. he's been out of work for over two months now. i dont think he was looking for a job in SF so much as he was looking for a job in his field. he was an in house lawyer for a start up peer to peer lending service, and now he's gonna be an in house lawyer for another peer to peer lending service. we know each other because we were both in house lawyers in the banking industry in nyc for the same company before he pulled the utah trigger.
Does the specialty get so nitchy? There's got to be other finance related in house lawyer job in Salt Lake?

On the other hand, SF is really a nice place to work and live. So depends on how much he values skiing. I would move to SF in a heartbeat if I got a BETTER job offer.

Wow, that sucks. The drive from the Bay to Tahoe suuuuuucccckkks.
Did it once.. Don't remember it being that terrible
That's the key. You can get lucky once, or several times. But you only need to get unlucky ONCE. You'll understand.

When you live there, it's only a matter of time you get hit by the sucky incidents. And a matter of how often.

Don't get me wrong, the skiing is way better than the east coast. But the drive can seriously suck.

Last edited:

xwhaler

We are getting close to booking our trip. 3 days on the SLC super pass likely doing Snowbird, Solitude and then one of Alta/Brighton. I've been to Alta before so wouldn't mind seeing Brighton.
We are then going to do a flexible Liftopia day...likely Pow Mow

4aprice

We are getting close to booking our trip. 3 days on the SLC super pass likely doing Snowbird, Solitude and then one of Alta/Brighton. I've been to Alta before so wouldn't mind seeing Brighton.

Not that its bad otherwise, but Brighton is a great place to be if storm skiing, thats where it really shines. Tight (by western standards) trails and tree skiing are really fun there in the Snake Creek. My son and I had some awesome days in Hard Coin during storms. The Evergreen area over on Millicent is good for that too. Always go there when it storms, there's a lot to be said for the ability to see. Pow Mow's great too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

You might want to wait to buy tickets at least until you see the WM offering this year.

I got a Powder Mountain tic, a Solitude tic, and a Snowbird BOGO all for......I think I paid $35. So basically I got tix to Solitude and PM for $17.50 each, as well as saving ~$80 at Snowbird.

xwhaler

You went to a WM movie out there to snag the deals or found someone selling online?

ThinkSnow

an out of work lawyer. what could possibly be worse ( or more unnecessary)?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I didn't read all 8 pages, sorry if this has been pointed out previously:

When you "compare" something you do "contrast." Compare includes contrast.

It's like saying "put the silverware on table and the forks too."