• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vote for Utah ski bus

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
SLC is young, affluent, educated, white, and one of the fastest-growing cities in America. If it's not a hockey town, it's only because it doesnt realize it yet!
It basically hits every key demo the NHL actively seeks, and it's increasingly being populated by people from natural long-standing hockey markets. IMO selling 13,000 ST could probably be done today without even marketing, probably easily, and the NHL is a gate-driven league.

Agreed. Lots of young people attend the soccer matches as well. NHL definitely plays in smaller markets than SLC.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another suit.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Hearing it took people 2 to 3 hours just to get to the LCC canyon mouth after skiing today, and it didnt even really snow all that much, supposedly like 6 inches.

BuSseZ wiLL fIX tHiS!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hearing it took people 2 to 3 hours just to get to the LCC canyon mouth after skiing today, and it didnt even really snow all that much, supposedly like 6 inches.

BuSseZ wiLL fIX tHiS!

Today was my first day off in 14 on. I am hearing worst snake in the 3 seasons I've been here. I've heard times more like 4+ hours. I still have some friends up there. The snake just cleared the Town of Alta 30 minutes ago.

thetrailboss

Staff member

BuSseZ wiLL fIX tHiS!
We missed it. The guy next to us at Alta drove his new BMW coup up with summer touring tires. Wonder if he contributed to the chaos?

BenedictGomez

We missed it. The guy next to us at Alta drove his new BMW coup up with summer touring tires. Wonder if he contributed to the chaos?

After I posted that I've since seen other reports of it taking people 1 hour just to literally get out of the parking lot, which probably aligns more with the 4 hour times @ss20 mentioned. Yikes!

thetrailboss

Staff member
After I posted that I've since seen other reports of it taking people 1 hour just to literally get out of the parking lot, which probably aligns more with the 4 hour times @ss20 mentioned. Yikes!
Honestly, Snowbird really screws it up. Last year Alta commented to UDOT about how things needed to change with Snowbird because they just block Alta traffic from leaving. It doesn’t help when folks park on 210 and then decide to stop traffic to make a U-turn to get out at the end of the day. But that’s why I get the hell out earlier in the day.

BenedictGomez

Saw this on social media with no comment; I'd speculate it's taken by a Snowbird groomer. This looks like hell on earth.

1704520170234.png

jimk

Guess it was the first powder day in a while?? And a Friday - the new Saturday. Now I know why my son told me he went backcountry skinning early yesterday in the Wasatch. I'm going to be out there in about 10 days to help make some first hand observations, and add to the traffic:devilish:
Actually, I got a feeling I'm going to be riding the bus a lot. Also may try hitching, but I have some buddies with parking passes, so I'll be mooching rides too.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
The other contributing factor is that a lot of folks come up to ski Alta after 1pm because they don't have a parking reservation or won't pay for one. So they want to ski until 4:30pm. That number is significant.

I believe that Alta proposed that Snowbird change it's closing time to accommodate traffic. Snowbird's response was, "build us a gondola." :rolleyes:

BenedictGomez

The other contributing factor is that a lot of folks come up to ski Alta after 1pm because they don't have a parking reservation or won't pay for one. So they want to ski until 4:30pm. That number is significant.

pAiD pARkInG is 1o0% FoR cROwd ALLeViaTion. It hAs NothNG tO do WIth MonEY!

drjeff

I'll be curious to hear if my son, who's skiing at Solitude and Brighton today with 2 of his friends who are students at U of U, get out of BCC this afternoon. They were at Snowbird on Sunday and said that inspite of taking them 3.5 hours to get from his friends condo near the U of U stadium to Snowbird that the skiing was great and most every lift was less than a minute wait (they didn't ride the tram on Sunday)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'll be curious to hear if my son, who's skiing at Solitude and Brighton today with 2 of his friends who are students at U of U, get out of BCC this afternoon. They were at Snowbird on Sunday and said that inspite of taking them 3.5 hours to get from his friends condo near the U of U stadium to Snowbird that the skiing was great and most every lift was less than a minute wait (they didn't ride the tram on Sunday

I had a parking reservation at Alta on Sunday and sat in traffic for three hours before bailing.

BenedictGomez

I'll be curious to hear if my son, who's skiing at Solitude and Brighton today with 2 of his friends who are students at U of U, get out of BCC this afternoon.

At some point in the next week there's probably going to be an interlodge. This is the 7 day snowfall prediction based on spaghetti mean.
Even if it's off by 1/3 that's still over 4.5 feet of snow. :eek:

1704835408135.png

drjeff

At some point in the next week there's probably going to be an interlodge. This is the 7 day snowfall prediction based on spaghetti mean.
Even if it's off by 1/3 that's still over 4.5 feet of snow. :eek:

View attachment 60439
Their optomistic plan was to ski 8 areas in 8 days. They've already hit Park City Resort, Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude. Planning on Alta, Deer Valley, Snowbasin and Sundance coming up and then a redo of 1 of them on Sunday. He then Sunday night takes the red eye back to Boston and then drives up to Mount Snow to ski Monday - Thursday before he has to finally go back to college the end of next week. If his plan works, he will have skied 24 out of 30 days of his semester break. Oh to have a long semester break again, and Epic and and Ikon pass, and either parents or friends with free lodging near ski areas! :ROFLMAO: