• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 2/11/05

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 2/11/05

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: Powder, Scratchy

Trip Report:

If it weren't for all of the danged wind, today would have been a stellar day. Unfortunately, most of the powder found the woods, but the sides of the trails were nice.

Balance Rock/Conifer: Balance Rock was pretty much all ice. Looked more like a groomed skating rink than a ski trail. The wind was whipping up the Conifer headwalls, Kind of scraping them clean. Powder could still be found close to the trees. Took 2 runs, both before grooming.

10th: Wind wasn't nearly as bad as on Conifer, but it was still a factor in the conditions. It was scraped before grooming. After nightfall, the wind died down a bit and all of the groomed snow stayed on the trail. Very nice after grooming.

Smith: Easily trail of the day. The headwall, which is usually full of ice on days like this, was incredibly good in holding down the snow. At 8 PM, I was still ripping it without worrying about ice. Lower was fast and fun.

Frannie's: Pretty icy, but I don't really care about it. We just took it as a bailout of Hitchcock. Piece of Cake is certainly the better Vickery trail.

Hitchcock: Pretty much like Tuesday, but the last jump was screwed with and they made it worse than it already was. Crowds were up around 7 (see above).

I didn't hit Minuteman or Monadnock today. I got my skis waxed and sharpened which made a big difference and I want to wait a while to screw them up in the park again.

Well, I'm off to Loon and Cannon looking to ski the nice new powder. I'll have that report Sunday.