• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett - 3/13/11

speden

Headed to Wachusett for some early morning turns. Had a feeling with the time change today that not many people would be there for the 8am opening.

Temps were probably upper 30's, no wind, overcast.

The early morning cord was nice and fast. I'd waxed the skis with warm weather red wax, and top coated it with some Zardoz, so the skis were running smooth and fast on the warm snow.

Some pics:

Place was deserted for first tracks.
W_001.jpg

Ah, wall to wall cord. It doesn't usually last long at Wachusett.
W_002.jpg

By about ten it was getting busy and the snow was getting chopped up. We did a couple last runs through the human slalom courses, had brunch, and called it a day. All in all a nice early morning workout.
W_003.jpg

makimono

I didn't get there until about when you were leaving, 10am and stayed till 3:30. Was a nice day, soft FG turned more like mash in the afternoon. Tons of cars in the lot but a large group of people were doing a special olympics race on the NASTAR course and another big group of kids were bootpacking in the park doing a rail jam so the liftlines were minimal. The bumps on Hitchcock were in great shape and saw a lot of skiers, there was even a cue on several runs. That's where I spent most of the day with a few bombers down 10th to break it up. Good time, wish I could have made it up to Magic but the DST snookered me a little.

speden

We saw the Special Olympics course being set up on Challenger. They set up two side by side courses so it almost took up the whole width of the trail at one point. Luckily we got in several runs on Challenger before they shut it off to normal traffic. It was skiing really well when the snow was just starting to warm up.

There was also a big contingent of folks wearing blue Nashoba Valley jackets, skiing around in a group. Not sure what that was about.

hrstrat57

Ppw

PPW = Perfectly played Wa!

Well done 0745 first chair and in the car by 1030!

Nice!!!!!

Did you get the $5 back off the reduced end of season lift ticket?

wa-loaf

I was there yesterday. They had done some interesting grooming to divert water off the trails. There were also a couple holes just full of water. Skied pretty good, but I was with the kids so never got to 10th or Smith. Was disappointed to park in lot 3, but I think it was because of the special olympic since there were no lines.

speden

PPW = Perfectly played Wa!

Well done 0745 first chair and in the car by 1030!

Nice!!!!!

Did you get the $5 back off the reduced end of season lift ticket?

I'm getting better at avoiding the Wa crowds. It's part art and part science! :)

I have an end of season pass, so can ski free up until their projected 4/3 close date. Had to buy a ticket for my son, and we did remember to turn his ticket in for the $5 back.