• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of March 17 to 23 2013

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well, WBZ is already planning to whip up a frenzy for next week, I can't tell who penned this.[h=5]The 0Z run of the Euro prints out another sizeable snowstorm across central and southern New England for NEXT Tuesday. Hard to imagine this forecasting holding like this for a whole week. Too much time between now and then. But this storm bares watching especially if the other models start to sniff it out. As we know everyhting has to come together just right to get a storm of this magnitude, especially this time of year. We will continue to watch this. Even if this storm does not happen, it shows that the atmosphere is still very much in an active pattern where these kind of storms can happen. The way things are going, I would be surprised if we got out of March without another snowfall.[/h]
[h=5]182443_445066125569040_1803946438_n.png[/h]

ScottySkis

Ill be around the mount snow area that weekend. Man I hope it owns out.

I was going to ask if you wanted to go to Elk this Sunday some other alpine zoners will be their this Sunday the 17, if your at Mt. Snow that is much bigger then Elk.

WinnChill

Well, WBZ is already planning to whip up a frenzy for next week, I can't tell who penned this.

Certainly a possible active period--conditions look marginal for something trying to take shape. We would have some downstream blocking to help out, although, it may be slightly displaced. We'll see!

drjeff

Ill be at mount snow the following weekend. 22-24.

Pond Skimming, Duct Tape Derby and Reggaefest Weekend at Mount Snow - you don't even have to put your skis on the entire weekend and you'll still have a blast! :)

vinnyv11

Pond Skimming, Duct Tape Derby and Reggaefest Weekend at Mount Snow - you don't even have to put your skis on the entire weekend and you'll still have a blast! :)

I knew it was reggaefest do you think thats going to make the slopes rediculously crowded? My game plan is to hit something else friday at least. Maybe the bush or magic depending on conditions.

Ace of Spades

Hope it pans out, even if it ends up not bombing out.... any snow at this point is a good thing. Fingers crossed!!

Josh

ScottySkis

I knew it was reggaefest do you think thats going to make the slopes rediculously crowded? My game plan is to hit something else friday at least. Maybe the bush or magic depending on conditions.
I not going to Elk this weekend, to much expensives bills that are overdue.

4aprice

Yes, for the Great Lakes. Moved majorly northwest. Worse, it would bring rain to most of the northeast instead of snow now.

Obviously, hopefully it either changes back east or goes away completely.

BG you will drive yourself crazy following these models. I still think winter has at least one more trick up her sleeve for New England. If its this week or next who knows but the skiing was good up there last weekend and I expect it to still be pretty good next weekend too. Lets just say most models "track records" are not so hot. JB still thinks so.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

wa-loaf

Send the snow north. I need to fly out to Providence Tuesday for Utah.

BenedictGomez

BG you will drive yourself crazy following these models. I still think winter has at least one more trick up her sleeve for New England. If its this week or next who knows but the skiing was good up there last weekend and I expect it to still be pretty good next weekend too. Lets just say most models "track records" are not so hot. JB still thinks so.

I'd rather stay informed regardless of what the models say so that I can plan trips accordingly. I do follow the weather pretty religiously from November to April, but that's all part of the fun, and it has on quite a few occasions either helped me to ski the "right" place or to avoid a particular weekend altogether. For where I'm located, I can either ski the Poconos, Catskills, DAX, or n.VT, and that's a pretty large geographic realm which often has vastly different weather on a given day(s).

Last edited:

ScottySkis

I'd rather stay informed regardless of what the models say so that I can plan trips accordingly. I do follow the weather pretty religiously from November to April, but that's all part of the fun, and it has on quite a few occasions either helped me to ski the "right" place or to avoid a particular weekend altogether. For where I'm located, I can either ski the Poconos, Catskills, DAX, or n.VT, and that's a pretty large geographic realm which often has vastly different weather on a given day(s).

I need to be a passenger in your car lol.

abc

I'd rather stay informed regardless of what the models say so that I can plan trips accordingly.
"Stay informed" of what? Rumors?

As it was pointed out, the track record of prediction 10 days away has not been good at all. Yes, we know a storm is coming next week. Except we know that without needing any model: there has been storms about once every week! Whether that comes as rain or snow, or whether that will hit Atlanta or Burlington, we don't know. The "models" has been all over the place on that, and has been wrong more often than right.

Besides, until this current storm pans out, and we see what shape the mountain end up with, the next storm doesn't really mean anything as far as skiable surface is concern!
that's all part of the fun,
That's a diffferent story. I watch the guys give stock predictions on tv. It's 'fun' to watch. But I don't put my money into it!