• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of March 3 to 10 2013

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not to crank you up too much, but I just found this on FB

[h=5]Wxrisk.com

[/h][h=5]‎*** 12z EURO SHOWS MAJOR EAST COAST SNOWSTORM THREAT MARCH 6-7...

This is 3rd system I talked about in the Sunday night video... this would be CLASSIC MILLER A.. gulf of mexico Low

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/euro/12zeuro850mbTSLPUS240.gif

I'm liking this "storm of the week" club. Making up for all of last year's suffering!

[/h]

hammer

Guess the discussion will get going at some point...:roll:

IF this happens I would be quite happy, as long as the jackpot is north of home. Hoping to go to Bretton Woods on the 8th (have free passes to burn).

BenedictGomez

Guess the discussion will get going at some point...:roll:

Yeah, 9 days out is virtually useless. I dont even start to bother with this crap until it's within 6 days, and I dont start to get excited until about 4 days, and then my hopes typically get dashed on the rocks within 48 hours when the model(s) completely flip-flop.

BenedictGomez

He may be talking about Virginia. He's not a snowman. As hammer says, too early to talk too much.

Most of his stuff focuses on the southeast. He will follow/predict northern storms as the occur too, but his audience caters to the NC, VA, DC area, so most of what you read on his site will be about that area.

He's a very knowledgeable and passionate person, but he's also an arrogant horses azz who attacks anyone who questions him (some of whom are also very knowledgeable). His prediction busted more than anyone I saw for last weekends storm (was calling for huge areas of 4" to 8" and 8" to 12" across the northeast), and he took a lot of abuse for it, lol.

BenedictGomez

Today's US and EU model runs are still showing a substantial midweek event. Still a LONG way away though, but at least it hasnt disappeared.

4aprice

Today's US and EU model runs are still showing a substantial midweek event. Still a LONG way away though, but at least it hasnt disappeared.

JB is hinting at an active cold period till about mid march. NAO supposedly negative (haven't been following closely). Have a hunch we could see a significant storm about the time the cold air is getting ready to leave. Its happened that way many times before. Give us just enough to make it deep into April and some spring fun.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

Well, I had the gf take off next Friday and we're heading to Vermont (she's a teacher and needs to give a weeks notice).

There's a storm that has been showing on every Euro run for days now, and the GFS has it too. The problem? It's in North Carolina and Virginia.

BUT, it's still about a week away, and the only reason it's way down there is because of a very strong block, which, if it were to weaken or break up, would allow this thing to substantially move north. The important thing is there WILL be a storm next week regardless of where. A bit of wishcasting on my part for sure, but the ski days are growing short. Fingers/toes crossed.

88563610151522539063352.png

BenedictGomez

00Z Euro is out and it looks like it took a pretty big jump north and west. This is good news if it's true (which it inevitably wont be given this winter's trend :( )

ejkjkljkljklfffffffffff.gif

BenedictGomez

12z GFS is out - big storm is still there for Poconos, NJ, Cats, possibly s.NE, and (more importantly) it stayed north rather than retreating back to Dixie.

64873340334716067475755.png

ScottySkis

Snow will happen because I turn one year older next week I don't care it just I usually get Bush on my birthday, this year will wait couple weeks.

BenedictGomez

Is there a choice? It's March. You must ski...

Exactly.

FWIW, afternoon model runs have this going out to sea now after hitting VA, rather than turning north up the coast. Still a good 5 days out and the energy hasnt even reached the west coast yet. Things could change.

ScottySkis

Exactly.

FWIW, afternoon model runs have this going out to sea now after hitting VA, rather than turning north up the coast. Still a good 5 days out and the energy hasnt even reached the west coast yet. Things could change.

I like this forecast.:)