• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weight weenie?

Greg

Staff member
Are you one?

I've actually added weight to my stock bike in the form of bigger tires and a bash guard. My feeling is that extra piece of cake you had for dessert last night, or the preemptive crap you forgot to take before your ride adds a lot more weight than those tires that weigh an extra 200 grams... :roll: :lol:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
A good crap can be almost a pound and a half. Plus you can sweat out upo to 5 pounds during a good workout. I've always been about durability over weight savings.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm a bit of a weight weenie on my road bike. I like durability and a bit of comfort on my MTB so... not so much there.

But I don't race either. And I understand why some people are... some people do take it over the top but, OTOH, I hear weight weenies berated a la Greg's post a lot, when the truth is, if you really care about weight, grams is the only way you can do it.

Save a 100 g on a handlebar, another 250 on wheels, etc., it all adds up. That's the point. That's how in the end you have a 23 lb bike vs a 30 lb bike.

It all depends on the application and what floats yer boat.

Grassi21

Ride a SS... drop the derailleurs, shifters, cables, a bunch of sprockets... ;-)

Greg

Staff member
I hear weight weenies berated a la Greg's post a lot

Not really berating. Okay, maybe a little. ;) My point is that if you're going to start gram counting, it's all or nothing.

MR. evil

I have added a bunch of weight to my bike, probably something like 2 lbs
Coil rear shock
heavier tires
Adjustable seat post

But I have removed some all important rotations weight by going tubeless and will get rid or more my getting a lighter wheelset.

Grassi21

Not really berating. Okay, maybe a little. ;) My point is that if you're going to start gram counting, it's all or nothing.

I always like riding with a few extra grams in my pack.....

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Like Marc, I don't consider myself one, but would be more on the road bike than on the mountain bike. I don't race nor am I a sponsered rider; I don't have a trust fund so I don't see the cost-benefit of spending the mucho $$ needed to save more weight from the levels I'm at now.

I say it about skiing and skis...and the same IMHO is true about biking and bikes....its all about the biker/skier not the bike/skis.

mondeo

Road bike, I care about wheel weight, just because of its impact on acceleration and agility. It'll be a long while (both financially and physically) before I care about the absolute weight of the bike. Heck, one of the main points to riding is the excercise, a heavier bike just means more excercise.

It'll also be a while before I go to Lycra or tight fitting shirts.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I have no idea what my bike weighs nor could I care less.

I always like riding with a few extra grams in my pack.....
:beer: I like to burn a few grams just about 3.5 miles into my usual ride....right after the last major climb. All st and rolling hills from there until the parking lot, where there's usually a few 12 ounces waiting for me in a cooler.

Greg

Staff member
No offense, but getting ripped during an MTB ride just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Depends on the terrain you ride, I guess...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
No offense, but getting ripped during an MTB ride just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Depends on the terrain you ride, I guess...
It's seriously pretty mild with real short rollers and st. I also keep the speed down, around 10mph. There's one log to jump over which is pretty fun.

sLoPeS

maybe not the best idea to burn a fat L, but a couple tokes does no harm...

on another note.........we gotta hit up some singletrack!

Grassi21

Do you actually even ride?

on occasion

We keep hearing about this bike, when will we see it in action?

i've had i out for 3 road rides already. fun. but not trail worthy. its all about training with the rigid rider.

LOL......win!

i thought so. ;-)

I have no idea what my bike weighs nor could I care less.

:beer: I like to burn a few grams just about 3.5 miles into my usual ride....right after the last major climb. All st and rolling hills from there until the parking lot, where there's usually a few 12 ounces waiting for me in a cooler.

great approach

i did it once. didn't feel out of control or in danger. it was more of a lack of enthusiasm and effort.

JD

Website
hotmail.com

Always a good idea! I never have a problem ripping gnarly trail after ripping a burning spear.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
great approach

i did it once. didn't feel out of control or in danger. it was more of a lack of enthusiasm and effort.

Thanks. I'll second the lack of effort. The knowledge that there's a few cold ones in the car keep the enthusiasm levels in check for me though :beer: