• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are the best wide boot options for the aggressive skier?

Paul_M

Looking for a wide last boot to suit my 11 w's. It usually takes me several trips back to the fitter to get the fit perfect. Local shops don't have the Tecnica Phoenix High Volume in stock and I've seen the True Fit wide last on the net, but closest shop is the one in Manhattan. Those both seem to be slightly weaker in flex than I "think" I need. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Glenn

Best advice I have is to see a bootfitter. When it comes to boot, I'm not all that brand loyal. I just want a stiffer boot that fits my foot. I'll go with whatever brand feels the best.

Puck it

I have a wide foot and a thick angle. I stick with Head boots. I usually have to have them strech and blown out. However, I currently have pair of Vector 120's and the only thing I have done to them is heated the liner and immersed the shell in very hot water, a trick the local shop taught.

Toe box is 102 or 103 and volume ~2100. If I remember right. It is listed on their site.

bigbog

Agree, one boot is the Vector(HEAD) = its predecessor the "S" series, but didn't possess much volume over one's instep, but that can be worked. Forefoot is the easiest to mod..shell grind or stretch as can that over one's instep, but you can't overdo it or else you'll be left with little performance.
Seems like quite a few other choices this season...I tried the Phoenix HVL but was in my upper end of my fit envelope so it was big everywhere. Most HVLs will possess a med-to lg heel pocket..y/n? ..thus a bootfitter can often get you a much better fit after doing some work in specific areas. *Have now heard that thing about immersing the shell in very hot water 2x....interesting, seems like it can work some areas..
$.01

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'm very happy with my Nordica Speedmachine 14, flex 120/130 and high volume

Edt: name has been changed to Speedmachine 130 on newer models

BackLoafRiver

Agree with what Glenn said on going to a boot fitter. When I had my modifications done in December, they ran the specs on my feet versus a HUGE database on what their customers with similar details have had success with.

That being said, I have fat, wide feet and want a stiff boot so my Nordica Superchargers from a few years ago have been spectacular. (especially with my boot mods I had done) I don't have any particular brand loyalty but I tried the Fire Arrow F1 and, if I were to buy another boot, would probably go that direction. It had plenty of room in the forefoot for me.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Agree with what Glenn said on going to a boot fitter. When I had my modifications done in December, they ran the specs on my feet versus a HUGE database on what their customers with similar details have had success with.

That being said, I have fat, wide feet and want a stiff boot so my Nordica Superchargers from a few years ago have been spectacular. (especially with my boot mods I had done) I don't have any particular brand loyalty but I tried the Fire Arrow F1 and, if I were to buy another boot, would probably go that direction. It had plenty of room in the forefoot for me.

Yep along with Technica, Nordica is the other one known for volume. Of course depends on the model as well.

Paul_M

I have a ski shop in town I'll use. It's tempting to buy online, but I'm the type that will be back 15x till they are perfect. They have experienced boot-fitters that size the smaller foot and blow out the other boot to fit the bigger foot. They just don't have stock at the moment. The Speedmachine 130's are last year's boot w plenty available on line, but I guess the Fire Arrow replaces them in 2011/2012.

Last edited:

jrmagic

I have a ski shop in town I'll use. It's tempting to buy online, but I'm the type that will be back 15x till they are perfect. They have experienced boot-fitters that size the smaller foot and blow out the other boot to fit the bigger foot. They just don't have stock at the moment. The Speedmachine 130's are last year's boot w plenty available on line, but I guess the Fire Arrow replaces them in 2011/2012.

INO there really aren't any good options in Westchester for boot fitting. Head up North to ski country and there are several. I was fit at GMOL for Saloman CS 120s which fit my fat foot very well and are stiff enough on my 225 pound frame to give me confidense to ride them hard. Different brands tend to mold a different shape and a good bootfitter will examine your foot for shape and flexibility etc. before bringing you any boots to try on.

Paul_M

INO there really aren't any good options in Westchester for boot fitting. Head up North to ski country and there are several. I was fit at GMOL for Saloman CS 120s which fit my fat foot very well and are stiff enough on my 225 pound frame to give me confidense to ride them hard. Different brands tend to mold a different shape and a good bootfitter will examine your foot for shape and flexibility etc. before bringing you any boots to try on.

Impact 120's?

jrmagic

Overall I'd say I'm satisfied with them. The liner seems to be packing out a little more than expected for 25 or so days in them. Unfortunaltely, most of those days were groomer days so I still don't really know how I feel about them in bumps etc.

Paul_M

Overall I'd say I'm satisfied with them. The liner seems to be packing out a little more than expected for 25 or so days in them. Unfortunaltely, most of those days were groomer days so I still don't really know how I feel about them in bumps etc.

Did you heat the shell so it expands/contracts to your feet?

jrmagic

Yeah they did that at GMOL and I also git instaprint footbeds put in. its the only boot I've ever been able to tolerate leaving on on my feet in the bar so I'm pretty happy with the way they feel.

snoseek

I have a wide foot complete with cankles. It always seems to go back to Dalbello boots. My last few pair of boots required custom fitting. The last pair pretty much fit out of the box after I did some simple mods myself.

What I'm saying is maybe just go into a shop and start trying a bunch on, if you find something that seems to feel ok then buy it.

Paul_M

Yeah they did that at GMOL and I also git instaprint footbeds put in. its the only boot I've ever been able to tolerate leaving on on my feet in the bar so I'm pretty happy with the way they feel.

I think you can do that over and over according to my buddy.