• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What movie got you to read the book.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Lots of folks rant about movies not meeting the expectation of the books they're based on but - What movie prompted you to read the book?

I read the Jurassic Park books long after the movies then went on to read many of Michael Crichtons books. I read the entire Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian after watching the movie. I read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings years ago but with the movie releases I've gone and reread them. Now after watching John Carter of Mars I'll be reading Edgar Rice Burroughs "A Princess of Mars" his first book.

ctenidae

I'm reading the John Carter novels now- thre are actually 5 in the series. Havne't seen the movie, andprobably won't unless it's on one night wnhen my wife's away and there's nothing else on.

The Jason Bourne movies got me reading a handful of Ludlum again, I read all 3 Hunger Games, though won't likely see the movies. Every time I see an ad for "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" I want to read another Le Carre novel, which I've read most of. Re-read all the Sherlock Holmes books after Game of Shadows came out. May launch into Game of Thrones next. I have the whole set of Master and Commander, but have only read the first book and half the second.

wa-loaf

May launch into Game of Thrones next.

I read this series last summer after watching it on HBO. pretty psyched it's started again and I actually feel I can follow the show better having read the books now.

I'll admit to reading the Harry Potter stuff as well after seeing a couple of the movies. Lord of the Rings stuff is a given and has been read a few times. Haven't seen Hunger Games, but a few people have recommended the books to me so I might read those before seeing the flick.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I read the Hunger Games books, they were very good. Although, I dofeel like an idiot every time they say it's a young adult novel.

jaja111

Can't really say any movie really got me to read the book and I've been consistently disappointed by movies made from books I have read. Only one flick comes to mind, in that it looked so hauntingly like what I saw in my head when I read the book, was "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Every other movie always looks like a different visual take from what I imagined. So with that, I just fear that seeing the flick and then reading the book contaminates my idea and jumbles the mental movie that plays out.

ctenidae

Can't really say any movie really got me to read the book and I've been consistently disappointed by movies made from books I have read. Only one flick comes to mind, in that it looked so hauntingly like what I saw in my head when I read the book, was "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Every other movie always looks like a different visual take from what I imagined. So with that, I just fear that seeing the flick and then reading the book contaminates my idea and jumbles the mental movie that plays out.

When I see an ad for The Road, I think of "Earth Abides" which was a pretty good post-apocolypse novel

ScottySkis

Fear and loathing book by Hunter Thompson saw the movie many times before I really knew how great of an author he was, Rip Hunter.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I have the whole set of Master and Commander, but have only read the first book and half the second.

There have been some books and series I just can't get through. I just couldn't get through the first Sherlock Holmes story and I've read half of Moby Dick twice. Something about 19th century style ...

2001 A Space Odyssey (dating myself)

I read 2001, 2010 and three of the Rama books but then I couldn't take it anymore. Clarke's style just had this 80's sci-fi feel to it - like bad acting.

Every other movie always looks like a different visual take from what I imagined. So with that, I just fear that seeing the flick and then reading the book contaminates my idea and jumbles the mental movie that plays out.

I get voices stuck in my head - like Ian McKellen's voice for Gandalf but that doesn't bother me. When I first started reading Master and Commander I had the voices of I heard Russell Crowe's and Paul Bettany's voices when I read. Then after watching a few Frazier episodes I had Kelsey Grammer's and David Hyde Pierce's voices reciting the lines. I think that worked better.

NotEasyBeingGreen

Starting Hunger Games. My 14 y.o. daughter begged me to read it and I was skeptical. Caved and saw the movie and my expectations were super low, so it really wasn't bad. She said the book was a bit darker and still wanted me to read it, so I am. Essentially because it is so hard to get my kids to read, I've gotta encourage it.

The Road (book) screwed with my mind pretty bad - was given to me at a really horrible time - no way am I ever seeing that movie.