• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Use The List To Describe An AZer

Beetlenut

Ok, if I had to pick, I'd say I'm the Fair Weather - Vagabond type. Although I'll have to add a few days to get up to the true definition of Fair Weather.

New motto: Think like a Flow-meister - ski like a Dirt-Bag!

Tin Woodsman

I don't know him, but based on a recent thread I'd wager Tinman is a Woodsy the Troll

Well since you invented that category of skier with my name in it, that's a shocker.

Where was the category of highpeaksdrifter? Surely everyone has seen this guy. He picks a fight with you and argues against a straw man point you've never advocated even though he actually agrees with your broader point. I must see that guy on every other lift ride. :roll:

More of the Vagabond type I guess, but those categories were pretty artificial.

Where was the category of highpeaksdrifter? Surely everyone has seen this guy. He picks a fight with you and argues against a straw man point you've never advocated even though he actually agrees with your broader point. I must see that guy on every other lift ride. :roll:

:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

Well since you invented that category of skier with my name in it, that's a shocker.

Actually, I came up with it not HPD, he just administered the list. In the same post I also apologized for getting carried away. The whole thing was tongue in cheek anyway...but the idea was to identify skier type generes that we're all probably familiar with. If you think the majority of the categories were that artificial you must really spend a lot of time in the secret stashes and not much time in the resort proper...each "type" I came up with (and I came up with at least half of them) was based on someone I know or see on a regular basis at the hill and from the other responses it looks like plenty of folks on here recognize them at their home mountain too.

Last edited:

highpeaksdrifter

As ECPH has posted I didn’t write that definition. You’ve stated quite clearly you guard your stashes. Woodsy the Troll guards his stashes. I intended no insult to you, not straight out or implied. Although given our recent past I guess I can see how you could think that.

Now while I was just out running errands I was thinking of different comebacks, etc. I was going to post when I got home. Then I’m thinking, am I going to bicker forever with Tinman? My wife already satisfies all my bickering needs and then some. Then I’m thinking I just will ignore you, but I’m not one to just walk away from a fight and I think it’s clear you’re not either.

So anyways, can we end this between us where we both feel good about it or do we go on with no end in sight? What are your thoughts Tinman?

highpeaksdrifter

As for you my chubby forum colleague, don’t be using those stir the pot econs. They might start makin you think of cooking and then you might go out and down a couple thousand calories you would not have otherwise.

You need to get down to the 270-275 range before ski season starts. You can only crank those bindings up so far.

Tin Woodsman

As ECPH has posted I didn’t write that definition. You’ve stated quite clearly you guard your stashes. Woodsy the Troll guards his stashes. I intended no insult to you, not straight out or implied. Although given our recent past I guess I can see how you could think that.

Now while I was just out running errands I was thinking of different comebacks, etc. I was going to post when I got home. Then I’m thinking, am I going to bicker forever with Tinman? My wife already satisfies all my bickering needs and then some. Then I’m thinking I just will ignore you, but I’m not one to just walk away from a fight and I think it’s clear you’re not either.

So anyways, can we end this between us where we both feel good about it or do we go on with no end in sight? What are your thoughts Tinman?

Hey -

I'm down with that for sure. I'm a lover, not a fighter.

As for the "artificial" comment, I guess I meant more that most people tend to combine several aspects of each of those descriptions and don't necessarily fit into neat categories. Also, it's likely going to depend on the conditions one encounters on any given day. I'm Johnny Groomer in the early season or after a thaw/freeze. As soon as there is a hint that sufficient base depths exist, color me "Il Vagabondo".

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
hey its a weakness of mine. especially in the summer. i dont want an all out steel cage death match but some good natured ball busting is always fun.

I'll say SkiDork has some of the racerdad qualities. I dont think anyone here except for Andyzee and BobR have met him but we sure get alot of updates about his son. I do enjoy reading the posts about his camps and watching the vids of his comps though.

You got Dork pegged right, he's definitely got that quality. He loves to take time out to help people, mostly kids but not only, he likes to help the ladies too :)

highpeaksdrifter

Hey -

I'm down with that for sure. I'm a lover, not a fighter.

As for the "artificial" comment, I guess I meant more that most people tend to combine several aspects of each of those descriptions and don't necessarily fit into neat categories. Also, it's likely going to depend on the conditions one encounters on any given day. I'm Johnny Groomer in the early season or after a thaw/freeze. As soon as there is a hint that sufficient base depths exist, color me "Il Vagabondo".

Alrighty then, I can't wait to get over to Sugarbush so you can show me your stashes.;-)

As for you my chubby forum colleague, don’t be using those stir the pot econs. They might start makin you think of cooking and then you might go out and down a couple thousand calories you would not have otherwise.

You need to get down to the 270-275 range before ski season starts. You can only crank those bindings up so far.

You are such a F#ckhead..

JimG.

Staff member
From the 2 times I've skied wth him I'd say Jim G. has a little Techno Freak in him. Not over the top, but there. Alot of instructors, make that most, are like that.

Some for sure.

Alot of it comes from folks asking me for advice when they find out I used to coach.

Which is fine and I obviously don't mind talking.

But I'm a proponent of mileage...ski alot, keep it moving.

Most instructors talk way too much. Some go so far as to take their skis off while demoing a concept.

I always had a tough time with the purpose of that.

madskier6

As 2knees & Greg have already said, I'm definitely a Flowmeister.

But I'm also the Family Guy when I ski with the wife & kids. Usually a big crew spilling out of the minivan as we arrive at the mountain.

I think I'm also the Vagabond because I like variety. I can't stand to ski the same run over & over no matter how good it is. I'm also always looking for new lines & spend most of my time on the sides of the marked trails where the soft untracked snow usually is.

Based on HPD's descriptions, the Flowmeister and the Vagabond are kindred spirits (or in my case, the same guy).

Skibum_dan

Ha. I'm not usually one for generic blanket statements..but I must say a lot of these were pretty accurate....good write up too.

Is it ski season yet?