• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whats your go to brand?

hammer

Question: for Gore Tex fabrics, I usually wash them with a Tech Wash then spray on the sealant. What works better after spraying, letting the fabric hang dry or sticking it in the dryer to bake the seal? Thanks!
Do you apply sealant each time you wash them or only when you notice the outside is no longer water-repellant?

When I first started skiing my go-to brand was Columbia...I've now progressed to TNF which seems decent if you stay away from low-end items.

I know it's a matter of you get what you pay for, but I have not gone to the point where I feel comfortable spending several hundred dollars on single items of clothing...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know it's a matter of you get what you pay for, but I have not gone to the point where I feel comfortable spending several hundred dollars on single items of clothing...

I am a bargain shopper. In this economy you can get some great deals on equipment and outerwear. I personally find that some brands are just too much--such as Arc'teryx and Mammut.

With regards to TNF my experience is mixed at best. I owned one of their upper end GTX Shells and after 2 years of light street wear the seam tape was pulling off and there was delamination. After finally getting that resolved I did purchase an Apex Bionic Softshell in 2007 and it is awesome. But when I got a sweater for Christmas, and followed the washing instructions (gentle cycle), the sweater literally disintegrated in the washer on the first wash. Needless to say what was left of it went back to EMS. After that I don't even consider TNF stuff.

Hawkshot99

I dont feel like I support certain companys over others. But if I look in my closet, Atomic wins on hard goods, and UA on the soft goods.