• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When do you get out and how long?

Vortex

I start shortly after 1st chair avoid the 1st rush. November& December I quit early 11 of 12 unless good snow base. The rest of the year 1hr lunch break quit around 3. Sometimes take the fairweather approach. Anyone really hardcore?

ctenidae

We usually try to show up around 10- balancing the extra hour of sleep with avoiding the first rush in the lodge. Mostly it's about the sleep, though, since we don't seem to miss any rush in the lodge. Lunch break around 1 or 2, then ski on until close. I push for skiing both weekend days- last week we did Saturday Night and Sunday Day, which seemed to work out pretty well. Probably do that agin tomorrow.
I doubt that really counts as "hardcore," but there you have it.

Vortex

Looks like you get some runs in. I can't make it a full day . I see some that go 1st run to last run. I can't make it a full day partly cause I get soar and tired, partly cause I like to a bit of the social thing.

ctenidae

Yeah, once we get there, it's pretty much go go go. We always like stopping for lunch, but then hate going back out after sitting and eating, with a belly full of good...er, passable, food. Always seems like that first hour drags on, nearly napping on the chair. After things settle, though, and we're up against the clock, the energy comes back to get in as many runs as we can.
The next day is usually another story, though...

dmc

I walk to the mountain around 9AM and ride until the light gets flat.. So early season I quit around 2PM...But as the season progresses I stay out later - Last weekend I was on "last chair" both days...

On the day after my band plays i usually don't get out until 11AM...

JimG.

Staff member
In the lot by 9am, on snow by 9:30, 1/2 hour lunch, ski till last chair.

I don't like leaving turns on the table.

Greg

Staff member
I typically like to get on skis by 9:30, earlier if possible. If I'm staying at a mountain, I aim for first chair. There are times when I hit a mountain late morning or midday, but mostly because I have other things to do in the morning, not because I need sleep. I'm somewhat of a morning person - up at 6:15 AM on the weekdays and by 7 AM on weekends. 6 or 7 hours of sleep and I'm good.

I usually ski until around 3 PM, but sometimes I'll ski to last chair if it's a really good day. 30-40 minutes tops for lunch and limited if any breaks throughout the day. The last few seasons I've done a few 3 hour days, but this season I've been trying to get out for 5-6 hours at least. I also don't like to dilly-dally getting ready to head out and used to get really frrstrated if skiing with others that are not as enthusaistic about getting out as quickly as me. I think I still get just as frustrated, but I hide it better now...

dmc

JimG. said:
In the lot by 9am, on snow by 9:30, 1/2 hour lunch, ski till last chair.

I don't like leaving turns on the table.

Jim and Karl... Always out till last chair... :)

hammer

My family and I try to get in the lot within the first hour after opening (I'd like to be there first thing but I can only crack the whip so much :wink:). We eat lunch early to avoid the lunch rush (so far that's worked). The main thing that I do is take a break around 2 PM to get over the "mid-afternoon blahs"; after that, I usually get my second wind and we can hang around until 4 - 5 PM.

Vortex

Hammer and Greg, both good points. I cheat I get up early and grab 1st turns by myself on sat, clears the mind. I get up at 4.45 Mon- Friday. Sat 6.15 is sleeping late.
My wife and kids arrive later avoiding the cracking of the Whip. :argue: My wife is the best :) Greg I hate waiting for people to get there. Patience is not my strong point. I think I sent you a PM on that :D On Sunday We have a crew that gets out at 8 together. I slow them down.

hammer

Bob R said:
Hammer and Greg, both good points. I cheat I get up early and grab 1st turns by myself on sat, clears the mind. I get up at 4.45 Mon- Friday. Sat 6.15 is sleeping late.
My wife and kids arrive later avoiding the cracking of the Whip. :argue: My wife is the best :) Greg I hate waiting for people to get there. Patience is not my strong pont. I think I sent you a PM on that :D On Sunday We have a crew that gets out at 8 together. I slow them down.
Sounds like your morning schedule is the same as mine...except I'm not a morning person unless I have something to really motivate me (like skiing).

I've had to calm my enthusiasm...keeps the rest of the family sane.

Vortex

I get up early, I am not a morning person... Miserable until about 10 except Sat and Sunday, Or so I am told. Hammer are we going to go mid week some night here?

skidbump

first on line sat and sun at 815/830 ish "paying customers" then usually gone by 2 /3pm.. this weds stayed till 330... funny weekdays we get to sleep in till 630 7 am ski days we are up at 530

Vortex

skidbump said:
first on line sat and sun at 815/830 ish "paying customers" then usually gone by 2 /3pm.. this weds stayed till 330... funny weekdays we get to sleep in till 630 7 am ski days we are up at 530

is that cause of travel to the mountains? or just excitement.