• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When do you strip?

When do you strip the summer wax off?

• Total voters

Terry

I usually just ski it off. The first couple of days are usually short days anyways because of the crowds and WROD. I will tune them when the snow base is deep enough so that I don't have to worry about hitting to much bare ground. I usually wax a couple times a week.

Warp Daddy

you guy that dont wax are crazy. there is nothing like rocketing past people in spring glop. a base that has been kept saturated with wax all season is like a rocket. i dont even use fluro.

+1 ------------re waxed ski performance -- i use just a UNIVERSAL ski wax nothing fancy and buy it in BULK

Greg

Staff member
you guy that dont wax are crazy. there is nothing like rocketing past people in spring glop. a base that has been kept saturated with wax all season is like a rocket. i dont even use fluro.

If I'm skiing in the spring, I'm skiing sweet spring bumps. Don't need a super slick ski for that. Some might argue that a fast ski is detrimental in the bumps, as is one with super sharp edges. I personally hate my bump skis when they're freshly tuned.

drjeff

+1 ------------re waxed ski performance -- i use just a UNIVERSAL ski wax nothing fancy and buy it in BULK

+2!!!

Especially in typical Eastern Snow conditions, you just can't beat a fresh tune and wax IMHO.

As for the Strippin' of the summer wax. I just put mine away in the Spring with a nice coat on my usual universal, and considering that the wax I use reccommends that you DON'T scrape before skiing. (www.stuntwax.com) I'm good to go :)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If I'm skiing in the spring, I'm skiing sweet spring bumps. Don't need a super slick ski for that. Some might argue that a fast ski is detrimental in the bumps, as is one with super sharp edges. I personally hate my bump skis when they're freshly tuned.
I have to kind of agree with Greg here, even though I'm not a bump skier. My problem is that I am afraid of speed and don't feel as in control (mind you, I really only have 2 ski seasons under my belt). When my skis aren't freshly waxed, they're also slowed down a little. I know it damages the bases somewhat, but I almost prefer it this way. The one time I added on that rub-on wax last season, I ended up hurting myself the next time I skied... was a little faster than usual for me.

That said, in the past, we've always had our equipment tuned at least once per season. But not much more than that, and have never applied summer wax. My skis spend the summer in the apartment where the temps are fairly controlled, thanks to the A/C. No excessive dampness to rust edges or anything like that.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I have to kind of agree with Greg here, even though I'm not a bump skier. My problem is that I am afraid of speed and don't feel as in control (mind you, I really only have 2 ski seasons under my belt). When my skis aren't freshly waxed, they're also slowed down a little. I know it damages the bases somewhat, but I almost prefer it this way. The one time I added on that rub-on wax last season, I ended up hurting myself the next time I skied... was a little faster than usual for me.

That said, in the past, we've always had our equipment tuned at least once per season. But not much more than that, and have never applied summer wax. My skis spend the summer in the apartment where the temps are fairly controlled, thanks to the A/C. No excessive dampness to rust edges or anything like that.

i like speed and bumps are just something that get in the way of reachin said speed.
i guess thats the reason i dont like bumps. they are just objects in the way.

bigbog

When at shop...

severine,
a good practice..after measuring for flatness & stonegrinding the bases & cheching bevel/sharpening edges...is to have shop prep the bases(usually with softer wax.."yellow" or "red") to put wax into the bases(whether new skis or ones never done)...then the outer layer that reacts with the snow can either be shop's hotwax or your rub-on. The only rub-ons I've done(2x) have really made the skis fly....:-? ..don't know if it was the quality or what...but seemed to be a harder surface than my hotwaxes...?$^&#!<$%**
$.01

Greg

Staff member
i like speed and bumps are just something that get in the way of reachin said speed.
i guess thats the reason i dont like bumps. they are just objects in the way.

This is a disgusting post. :puke:

;)

bvibert

Staff member
bumps just seem repetitive to me. the thing that drew me into the snow sliding world was that you had to constatntly adapt to natural terrain. bumps just seem to the opposite of that.

Just because the bumps look repetitive doesn't mean they are. Even seeded bumps have differences that must constantly be accounted for. Of course, learning how to ski bumps gives you the tools you need to ski other natural terrain.

hardline

Just because the bumps look repetitive doesn't mean they are. Even seeded bumps have differences that must constantly be accounted for. Of course, learning how to ski bumps gives you the tools you need to ski other natural terrain.

when i see people rippin zippers they are going straight down the fall line. the only skill i really have learned from bumps is how to ride in bumps. when the trees get bumped i go further out looking for untracked or go rip high speed runs. bumps might be fun for some but i like playing with the natural flow of the terrain but that most likely comes from my background in racing. dont get me wrong in spring i have fun with short sections but it gets old for me quick.

bumps are specific skill set as are steeps, drops, trees, crud, and powder but focusing on just one skill set lessens ones ability to adapt to changing conditions.

bigbog

...agree with ya' hardline...;-)

.Some of the more narrow trails are made for mogulfields, but I agree with ya' hardline..have seen some trails that would be so nice au'natural..pp or powder.;-)
*Hey bvibert...Brian, it's a nice iron...the shape is really easy to pack...

Last edited:

hardline

.Some of the more narrow trails are made for mogulfields, but I agree with ya' hardline..have seen some trails that would be so nice au'natural..pp or powder.;-)
*Hey bvibert...Brian, it's a nice iron...the shape is really easy to pack...

i like narrow trails (real narrow) that get all the irrugualr bumps on them. thats hella fun picking lines down.

and here is a scraper you can use inside

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INNOVATIVE-WAX-SCRAPER-SKI-SNOWBOARD-SURF-TOOL_W0QQitemZ250314701802QQihZ015QQcategoryZ62170QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bvibert

Staff member
i like narrow trails (real narrow) that get all the irrugualr bumps on them. thats hella fun picking lines down.

To me that's also considered bump skiing. At the very least it uses a very similar skill set.

Interesting idea. Has anyone ever used one of these, does it work ok?

when i see people rippin zippers they are going straight down the fall line. the only skill i really have learned from bumps is how to ride in bumps. when the trees get bumped i go further out looking for untracked or go rip high speed runs. bumps might be fun for some but i like playing with the natural flow of the terrain but that most likely comes from my background in racing. dont get me wrong in spring i have fun with short sections but it gets old for me quick.

bumps are specific skill set as are steeps, drops, trees, crud, and powder but focusing on just one skill set lessens ones ability to adapt to changing conditions.

wow, almost time to pull this thread out into the general skiing forum and have some fun with it... I agree with you hardline...skiing/riding bumps makes you a better bump skier...but its a particular skill set that is adapted to one particular terrain feature. it encourages a tighter/narrower stance, slipping and sliding of the skis and edging/pressuring skills that are somewhat task specific. racing is the same deal...going really fast on hard snow doesn't make someone a good bump skier...its a whole diff skill set. I prefer playing with the flow of the terrain more too...but I was a bumper growing up, not a racer...I think working the natural terrain is something you evolve into after focusing on another discipline or a lot of mileage :snow: I'm itching to get out there and play!