• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is the next storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awf170

ya i know this is so horrible and the 10 ten forcast shows nothing at all for storms, atleast im going to utah in three weeks :D

swade2469

Well, it looks like something might happen after the 10th. At keast thats what accuweather says. Turned me into a damn weather junkie, looking at the forecast 20 times a day, jet streams, etc. etc.

B

beswift

On the Weather Channel this morning they were predicting snow showers tonight on the Cape and a 30% chance of rain showers tomorrow (Thursday) at the same location. I was wondering how this might translate for the N.E. Mountain states. You might see overnight dustings up there IMHO. Although the temps are rising above freezing mid-day here in East Falmouth, the snow pack in the woods is still deep. It has settled well and has provided excellent Snowshoeing and X-C opportunities.
swade2469 said:
Turned me into a damn weather junkie, looking at the forecast 20 times a day, jet streams, etc. etc.
If you think skiing does that, try Windsurfing.

Greg

Staff member
I'm hearing rumblings of rain for next week. Of course I don't normally subscribe to forecasts that far out, but knowing I'll be in Vermont in a week's time, this potential is really bumming me out... :(

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
I'm hearing rumblings of rain for next week. Of course I don't normally subscribe to forecasts that far out, but knowing I'll be in Vermont in a week's time, this potential is really bumming me out... :(

RAIN???? When??!! :x

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Greg said:

Wednesday/Thursday

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
Greg said:

Wednesday/Thursday

The Maine forecaster is saying minor event...and it may be colder up north to support snow (in the forecasts yesterday). Jim Roemer is saying mixed bag of precip.

I would not trust the Weather Channel to be honest.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
I would not trust the Weather Channel to be honest.
I was looking at the NWS forecast which now also mentions some snow and yes, it looks like a minor event. Regardless, it's still too far out to start making bets anyway...

ssusca

Weather Underground is predicting "ice pellets" for tonight and tomorrow.

Ice Pellets?! What the hell is that?

This season sucks! I've already had three base-welds done on my brand new 6-Stars this season! Thankfully I'm going to Zermatt in a couple of weeks. They've gotta have some snow!

thetrailboss

Staff member
ssusca said:
Weather Underground is predicting "ice pellets" for tonight and tomorrow.

Ice Pellets?! What the hell is that?

This season sucks! I've already had three base-welds done on my brand new 6-Stars this season! Thankfully I'm going to Zermatt in a couple of weeks. They've gotta have some snow!

Did somebody say ZERMATT? :p I was there in May 2002....what a GREAT place! You're going to have a blast...Klein Matterhorn, the Matterhorn, the ride up the railroad through the ravine...and the views! Skiing on the glacier was great! :D

ALLSKIING

Staff member
It can't rain it just can't!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: Spring skiing is going to be short this year if this keeps up. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

swade2469

Well, all this snowboardin stuff has got me hooked on weather watchin like a inmate waiting for parole with a prostitute scheduled to pick him up. Anyway, I have done some homework and it seems that Japan has gotten absolutely smashed this past week. A couple of pro weather sites have discussed just how big the storm out there is. Well, rumor has it it is coming our way. Think about it, with all of the warm weather and no precip - something has got to give and will give. There might be a little rain to start, but by Feb 12th - 13th I think thats when we get back to business. If you look at Killingtons forecast for 10-15 days out you'll see what I mean. Makes perfect sense timing wise that if something big were that far away it might take ten days to get here. Plus, the Jet stream has been split for way too long, should reconverge soon. Another cold blast will put a big dip in the stream, which will give us the cold air last, but we should also have a good tap of southern moisture to help if it does. Way too far out to be sure. But I have three buddies coming in town feb 16th to go to Killington and I am PRAYING. So yes, this is all pretty much wishful thinking.

awf170

this split jet stream thing is so horrible. About that storm in japan is any other ski areas or tv stations saying anything about this storm or just kilington

swade2469

Well, there is www.pro-weather.com - They have a post in the winter weather section about the japan storms. PLus, Accuweather's 10-15 day forecast of basically anywhere near Killington has about 4 DAYS of snow forecasted. I know its a long way out, but who knows. It makes sense to me that this pattern cant last much longer. If weather is a system of alternating flows of low and high press, then whatever we have is probably getting pushed out as we speak, and since we have had high pressure and warmth, I guess the natural replacement would be low pressure and cold. Just a guess.

awf170

ya this jet stream has to change soon, man if it doesnt febuary vacation is going to destoy some of these ski area(cannon) because they dont even have a base. Its so wierd every year we seem to get less snow than the last, it is getting so bad. We atleast need one big storm this year in northern NE.

swade2469

Well, I have three freinds coming up from FL and TN. Trust me, I want it to be as snowy as it can get for these guys. They are all decent skiiers/riders, plus, childhood buddies. Its gotta happen. As they say, pray!

Status
Not open for further replies.