• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is the next storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Greg said:
thetrailboss said:
I would not trust the Weather Channel to be honest.
I was looking at the NWS forecast which now also mentions some snow and yes, it looks like a minor event. Regardless, it's still too far out to start making bets anyway...
Greg- Take a look again! :) You could be heading up to some good snow from the gods while you are there. :beer: That rain on Wed will be snow in the mountains.

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
You could be heading up to some good snow from the gods while you are there. :beer: That rain on Wed will be snow in the mountains.
I can only hope... ;)

subdude

Ok Norhtern NE could be in for a big dumping as soon as next weekend. I know it's 7-10 days out but nice to know ski areas to the North could be getting nailed. So pray to the snow Gods to do their thing and cross your fingers. This is from a meteoroligist

The 12z Feb 3 run of the ECMWF shows a vigorous storm system tracking from MO into NY, an example of a Colorado/Trinidad type cyclone. If you look at the 168 hour panel of the European model, the 500MB and surface signature over NY is very impressive.

With plentiful cold air in supply over Canada (and slated to drop southward behind the low), this feature has a chance to lay down important snowfall amounts from the Great Plains into the interior Northeast and St. Lawrence Valley. I suspect the actual track will be through N OH into northern New England, and that newer model runs will trend toward a very strong solution. Also: note the flat subtropical high over Cuba in later time frames. This feature will allow for northward moisture transport, so a high QPF environment is likely throughout this system.

In other words, the jet stream configuration is in flux, winter isn't over and some readers will see a memorable weather event next week.

Best Regards
Larry Cosgrove

Greg

Staff member
subdude said:
In other words, the jet stream configuration is in flux, winter isn't over and some readers will see a memorable weather event next week.
Please let this be true. I would like nothing more than to spend my time late next week in the MRV with epic conditions!!!

swade2469

Just to whet your appetite, the GFS has at least two snow storm possibilities for the Northeast during Valentines day week. See them for yourself in the models section by looking at GFS maps that run out 15 days. Then again, it snow secret that the models will change their drift before the true picture crystalizes. We can say that even though some milder is on the way, the weather pattern doesn't seem likely to maintain the stratus quo.

abrams@accuweather.com

pepperdawg

Greg said:
subdude said:
Please let this be true. I would like nothing more than to spend my time late next week in the MRV with epic conditions!!!

BIg snow in the valley means an awesome time - no better way to pop your cherry up there :D

Mmmmmm.....castlerock immediatly after a dump...Mmmmmm

B

beswift

It'll rain and then get cold. No snow to speak of. I wish Greg would get rid of that Astronaut picture and try something that makes him look like a skier. What do you say?

Greg

Staff member
beswift said:
I wish Greg would get rid of that Astronaut picture and try something that makes him look like a skier. What do you say?
Yeah, maybe something über cool like your avatar? :roll:

Anyway, gonna make it out to Jiminy or Burke for one of the gatherings so we all can see how good you ski, swifty?

awf170

according to the weather channel this wednesday/thursday stom looks really hopeful for northern new england ski area and high elavation. Hopefully wildcat can dumped on so i can use my season pass.

subdude

Ok boys and girls this is the one we've been waiting for :beer: . We're possibly looking at a 36hr event on Wed-Thurs where ski areas in NH, VT, ME, will get bombarded. This Low is a slow mover and cold air from Can is going to start filtering it's way South to PA by Wed. The Low is going to be moving at about 10mph hence the longevity there's even a possiblity of stalling taking place if that happens we'll be looking at a HECS type event. (Historical East Coast Storm). Points N and NW of I90 hit the jackpot. I may have a bad knee but i'm bracing her up cause we've got our annual bus trip to Stratton on Fri the timing couldn't be better. :beer:

Greg

Staff member
subdude said:
Ok boys and girls this is the one we've been waiting for :beer: . We're possibly looking at a 36hr event on Wed-Thurs where ski areas in NH, VT, ME, will get bombarded. This Low is a slow mover and cold air from Can is going to start filtering it's way South to PA by Wed. The Low is going to be moving at about 10mph hence the longevity there's even a possiblity of stalling taking place if that happens we'll be looking at a HECS type event. (Historical East Coast Storm). Points N and NW of I90 hit the jackpot. I may have a bad knee but i'm bracing her up cause we've got our annual bus trip to Stratton on Fri the timing couldn't be better. :beer:
So what you're saying is that we may be in for some epic conditions for our trips to MRG and SB Thurs-Sat? I hope you're right. The NWS is starting to up the snowfall chance percentages for Wed/Thurs!

Big Game

It's got to be the Big Kahuna. All the psychological predicitors are there. We got this warm-up that was predated by a drought, leading us to think that hmmm. guess winter is over and maybe get the bike out. I've spent way to many years as solely a mountain biker (and not boarder) believing the lies that winter was a pansy.

So my buddy, who only mountain bikes, calls me up. He's taking his bike out today. Dude, I tell him. It's still winter. He says, no, It spring.

Perfect, I think to myself. The trap has been sent. People think winter is over.

Now the Big Kahuna may strike. The BK has to remind people that winter is only over when it decides its over.

Status
Not open for further replies.